Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Well Here's A Friday Vent...On Keeping Kids!
frugalmama4 12:02 PM 04-19-2013
So I have "had" a new family start this week...just got a text $$$ situation has changed today will have to be last day in care ...WHY??? I'm so sick of filling spots...and this family has two kids in my care and a older who will go else where...would never do three from da same family.

I had another family really happy with my services started and stayed two weeks...then I got the old grandma is in town story and she wants to send time with the kids..., I offered to hold the spots for two weeks...with half of each weeks tuition being due upfront...they never called back.

Last but not least...I had a family withdrawal effective A/S/A/P WED...I put my foot down regrading policy and payment...and mom was not happy with that. (long story I'll post about it later...will see how it plays out...still owes $$$ & need to pick up supplies)

I do know and believe what's meant to be will be for my business and family...I just get so sick of the high turn over
DaisyMamma 05:19 PM 04-20-2013
Ugh hang in there.
That's worse then not finding kids at all. Just when you think you've got the spaces filled, went through all the interview/enrollment work just to have them leave
You'll find the right someone :-)
Sprouts 07:13 PM 04-20-2013
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
So I have "had" a new family start this week...just got a text $$$ situation has changed today will have to be last day in care ...WHY??? I'm so sick of filling spots...and this family has two kids in my care and a older who will go else where...would never do three from da same family.

I had another family really happy with my services started and stayed two weeks...then I got the old grandma is in town story and she wants to send time with the kids..., I offered to hold the spots for two weeks...with half of each weeks tuition being due upfront...they never called back.

Last but not least...I had a family withdrawal effective A/S/A/P WED...I put my foot down regrading policy and payment...and mom was not happy with that. (long story I'll post about it later...will see how it plays out...still owes $$$ & need to pick up supplies)

I do know and believe what's meant to be will be for my business and family...I just get so sick of the high turn over
Do you have some kind of questionare to maybe get the reasons as to why there is such a high turn over rate?

I find that when many parents arent happy about something, it is hard to speak to the provider and they usually hold a grudge until it blows up in some other shape or form, having a questionare can help figure out what went sour and how to avoid it in the future with future parents, and helps to show that you are trying to improve as well. Just a thought.

I found this family satisfaction survey http://www.arbetterbeginnings.com/do...in/Admin12.pdf

from this site

http://www.arbetterbeginnings.com/ch...ider-toolkits/
HomeMADE 11:54 AM 04-21-2013
I haven't had this happen yet but hearing about it helps me understand why some providers require a 1 or 2 week deposit. Shoot any amount of deposit. That the client forfeits should they not give a 2 week notice.

The turn over is the same, but you have a financial cushion.
frugalmama4 12:35 PM 04-21-2013
Originally Posted by Sprouts:
Do you have some kind of questionare to maybe get the reasons as to why there is such a high turn over rate?

I find that when many parents arent happy about something, it is hard to speak to the provider and they usually hold a grudge until it blows up in some other shape or form, having a questionare can help figure out what went sour and how to avoid it in the future with future parents, and helps to show that you are trying to improve as well. Just a thought.

I found this family satisfaction survey http://www.arbetterbeginnings.com/do...in/Admin12.pdf

from this site

http://www.arbetterbeginnings.com/ch...ider-toolkits/

Thanks for the feed back Sprouts, I will admit I don't take feed back so well...never like hearing what people really feel/think about me. I guess I need to remove myself from the situation and place it all on the "business".

How would/ are would you ask your current families to give you feed back? Do I send it out with my news letter? should I mention the turn over I'm having? are would you just send it out randomly and have then place it in a box upon completion "no names"??? I don't want to give my current parents the wrong idea...that something maybe wrong. so

Thanks!
frugalmama4 12:41 PM 04-21-2013
Originally Posted by HomeMADE:
I haven't had this happen yet but hearing about it helps me understand why some providers require a 1 or 2 week deposit. Shoot any amount of deposit. That the client forfeits should they not give a 2 week notice.

The turn over is the same, but you have a financial cushion.
Yea, I've been thinking about doing a deposit...some providers I know word it as "your last weeks tuition" I don't like that term because I like to believe when they enroll the child will be here until they out grow my program. Just don't like speaking on the "end" at the beginning of the relationship.

However, I do have a two week trail period "either party can withdrawal during this time" any monies paid will not be refunded. After the two week period formal notice is required "two weeks with pay".

Should I also charge the "last week" upfront?

Thanks...I hate this part of the business.
providerandmomof4 02:24 PM 04-21-2013
I think you're taking it too personally. Sounds like the families you've been signing may be alittle flaky. Were there any indicators that maybe they didn't take your business seriously? For me....when i first started, i was a little over zealous in who i would sign...Anyone who came along Perhaps you could be a little more scrutinous in your interview?
Sprouts 07:28 PM 04-21-2013
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
Thanks for the feed back Sprouts, I will admit I don't take feed back so well...never like hearing what people really feel/think about me. I guess I need to remove myself from the situation and place it all on the "business".

How would/ are would you ask your current families to give you feed back? Do I send it out with my news letter? should I mention the turn over I'm having? are would you just send it out randomly and have then place it in a box upon completion "no names"??? I don't want to give my current parents the wrong idea...that something maybe wrong. so

Thanks!
I know how you feel...i wouldnt mention the turn over you are having, depending on how many children you have enrolled, the parents probably see who is there and who isn't any more. You never know if they talk to one another as well which may influence their decisions, people tend to follow one another ...

You could just say

As part of my professional development and to ensure you are all happy with the care being provided to your children, I would love your feedback!

I would stay away from questions about things you have already agreed to in your contract like working hours or days off. Just the main and simple things about the care they receive and the questions that were on the first link i posted.

depending on how many children you have enrolled you can have the option of doing it anonymously or not. Google docs has an option of making an online survey that you can email and they can check it off online and it gets sent directly to you. I am not sure if it is anonymous though.

Hope this helps
Reply Up