Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kids Not Having Any Respect For Authority
springv 03:34 PM 09-21-2019
What do you about kids that don't listen when they are told to do something? The school agers Having electronics out when they are not suppose to and when we tell them to put them away they give us an excuse as to why they are suppose to have them out such as my mom told me to. Had an employee/parent threaten me yesterday with telling the owner because I get on to the kids when the teacher is clearly in the room
Pestle 05:14 AM 09-22-2019
Only tell the kids to do something if you have the ability to immediately back it up. So if you tell the big kids to put their electronics away, don't give them a second warning; confiscate the electronics. Then notify the parents that electronics are going to be confiscated as soon as they arrive at the classroom next time.

Does your center permit kids to bring in their own activities? Does your center permit enrollees to use phones and tablets during scheduled activities? If so, the problem doesn't lie with the kids. The kids are just doing what anyone would in their situation. The problem lies with the administration.

Have you had a conversation with the teacher, to establish what the teacher wants you to be doing when they are out of the room and when they are present, and to establish how much you should be intervening in the kids' activities and how much authority you have when you do it? You can work toward understanding one another's philosophies and getting on the same page when it comes to action. If you are worried about getting tattled on, now would be the time to have that conversation.
Ariana 07:03 AM 09-22-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
What do you about kids that don't listen when they are told to do something? The school agers Having electronics out when they are not suppose to and when we tell them to put them away they give us an excuse as to why they are suppose to have them out such as my mom told me to. Had an employee/parent threaten me yesterday with telling the owner because I get on to the kids when the teacher is clearly in the room
Kids will not listen unless there is a consequence, same as adults or anyone else. The not listening has to be worse than listening.

I don’t understand the bolded part. You’re not the teacher but you are getting on them about electronics? Why would an employee threaten you?
springv 01:18 PM 09-22-2019
@Arianna: Because according to the employee I get on to them to much
Cat Herder 07:31 AM 09-23-2019
Is her child in her class?
Ariana 09:59 AM 09-23-2019
I would schedule a meeting surrounding the topic and erect some boundaries that make everyone happy. It might be that the teacher is lazy and electronics make her job easier...I really don’t know.
springv 01:08 PM 09-23-2019
Yes her child is in her class because she is a school age and a meeting would never work because she's a new employee that was just hired two weeks ago. The employee also stated that I holler at the kids but how else are you suppose to make them mind when they don't????
Cat Herder 01:23 PM 09-23-2019
Yes her child is in her class because she is a school age and a meeting would never work because she's a new employee that was just hired two weeks ago. The employee also stated that I holler at the kids but how else are you suppose to make them mind when they don't????
Consequences. Consistent consequences.

Do you have a written discipline policy?
springv 01:58 PM 09-23-2019
No discipline policy, the only thing we use is timeout and for the younger kids its timeout and a sad face
Cat Herder 02:55 PM 09-23-2019
No discipline policy, the only thing we use is timeout and for the younger kids its timeout and a sad face
Ok, wow. Sorry. That is not going to work. Time out is not even allowed in my State. I feel you may have been set up for failure.

What kind of training does your center offer?
Ariana 04:21 PM 09-23-2019
Time outs for school agers?? That is really odd!
Annalee 04:36 PM 09-23-2019
Re-direction is what we are supposed to do, but I just don't see how removing a child from one activity but allowing them to choose another activity is helpful. It is like rewarding bad behavior. There is not really a consequence. ???

There has to be a deterrent to discourage the behavior. Whatever is used must be used consistently. But as I have stated many times in other threads, a child's processing today makes me go

I'm not saying "corporal" punishment is the answer which is how I was raised and I do feel if done appropriately, it doesn't happen very often and taught a world of respect. But that's another point! Even giving a child some good old fashioned farm chores taught respect.

Times are just so different now! Just my opinions....I know, I'm old, but just how I see and feel about things I am seeing today!
springv 05:14 PM 09-23-2019
I agree @ariana but it's all we can use.
springv 05:15 PM 09-23-2019
12 hours required training per year and you can get more if you want it. We use to have staff meetings but that went out the window
springv 10:58 AM 09-25-2019
For those of you who work or own a center, do you allow or does your employer allow you to wear headphones or earfuls during nap? Several of the younger girls (20's or so) are doing it and we were suppose to have a staff meeting to go over this and some other things but it never came about but we did have a written meeting and we were suppose to sign it and return it but as I was reading it, it never stated anything about headphones.
Bluemoon5 01:58 PM 09-25-2019
For those of you who work or own a center, do you allow or does your employer allow you to wear headphones or earfuls during nap?
No. No headphones, no cellphones. We are sight AND sound at ALL times. Having headphones on would mean the children are not being adequately supervised. Nap time is for cleaning, paperwork, updating daily reports, etc. while still doing checks on the sleeping children.
springv 04:13 PM 09-25-2019
@bluemoon5: our old director use to tell the girls that they could clean as you mentioned and sanitize toys during nap but none of them would do it because their excuse was that they didn't have time because they planned during nap. What I usually do during nap is snack for the afternoon and milks for the next day and then after nap, I clean the kitchen from snack and make sure the sippies are washed.
Tags:discipline - consistency, discipline policy, employee issues, no respect
Reply Up