Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Mileage and Distance
Unregistered 11:06 AM 09-28-2011
Hello, I have been viewing this site for a few weeks now as it interests me greatly. My wife is in the process of getting licensed in Northern Minnesota. We would like to do some of our food shopping at a Walmart and or sams club to save money (way cheaper than the local grocery stores) The only problem is the closest walmart/sams is 150 miles away 1 way. Would it send up any red flags if to write off that much mileage? We would probably only need to do this once a month, or once every two months.

And also, is mileage calculated for round trips? or just 1 way?

Thanks for the info, I keep trying to get my wife to check out this place, but she hasn't yet.
TomCopeland 12:45 PM 09-28-2011
If you can show that you are saving money by driving 150 miles to Walmart, then don't worry about this being challenged in an audit. You claim the round trip miles. To claim a trip you must be able to show that the primary purpose of the trip is business. If you can show that you spent more money for your business stuff than your personal stuff, this is evidence that the primary purpose was business.
Unregistered 01:28 PM 09-28-2011
How do you verify that? by keeping receipts for the entire trip?
Toni's Tots 08:17 AM 09-29-2011
Hello, I am the OP of this thread. I created this name with the name of my wife's daycare hoping she will take the reigns and run. Thanks for your help Tom.
Blackcat31 10:49 AM 09-29-2011
Welome to the forum! I am also a Northern Mn gal...what area are you in?
Toni's Tots 01:19 PM 09-29-2011
Oops, sorry, not sure if my last post posted or not, as I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

Roseau/Lake of the Woods county area.
Blackcat31 03:08 PM 09-29-2011
Originally Posted by Toni's Tots:
Oops, sorry, not sure if my last post posted or not, as I didn't realize I wasn't logged in.

Roseau/Lake of the Woods county area.
Well you are definitely a bit farther north than I am as I am on the Iron Range, birthplace of Judy Garland!

Atleast now when I post temps of -30 below in the winter months there will be someone on this board that can vouch for me when I say it is normal here. LOL!
Toni's Tots 06:21 AM 09-30-2011
you bet I can!
TomCopeland 12:59 PM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
How do you verify that? by keeping receipts for the entire trip?
You can write down the number of miles on a mileage log, calendar, or other piece of paper. You can print out a mapquest report showing the miles. Keep receipts to show what you bought on the trip.
Toni's Tots 02:25 PM 09-30-2011
Thank you very much Tom!!!!!!

and one last question about this. Do I deduct all actual miles, or just the mileage to the city i'm going to and back? I would think one could rack up 30-40more miles just driving from store to store.
TomCopeland 08:35 AM 10-01-2011
Deduct all the miles you are driving in which the primary purpose is for your business, not just the miles to and from a city.
Tags:deduction - milage, tom copeland
Reply Up