Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Background Checks
SandeeAR 08:33 AM 12-07-2011
For those of you that do them....Where do you suggest I do one? (thinking of doing one on us for the file).I had my first request for one last night. On myself, DH and DD that subs. I told him sure, if he wanted to pay for it.

I've since run across this reply of Nan's on an old thread. (wish I had seen it before last night LOL)......I would just tell her that the way you do criminal checks is that the parents and you swap criminal checks. You have yours done for the prospective client and the prospective clients provide them to you on themself. You need one for both parents and anyone who is authorized to drop off or pick up the child.

Once you receive copies of their checks you will have yours done.

Safety first at Pammies house.
Crystal 08:35 AM 12-07-2011
You should be able to have one done at the local police department. Also, your school district office should do livescan services as well.

Personally, I would never ask a parent to have a background check done. They are not caring for my child, I am caring for thiers. But, as has been said before, to each his own
MarinaVanessa 08:41 AM 12-07-2011
I'm in CA and here theye are required for all adults living and working in the DC home so I already have one on file. Both of my BIL's lived here and my mom lives here now and each of them had to get one done as a licensing requirement.

I don't know if it's the same for everyone but here it's called a LiveScan backgrouind check. I went to the Sheriff's department at our government center because it was cheaper to have it done there than anywhere else but they also offered them with our local child care resource and refferal office. I would call around. I googled "LiveScan fingerprinting" and the name of my city and I found places in my area that did it. It costs me $45 to do it.
SandeeAR 08:44 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
You should be able to have one done at the local police department. Also, your school district office should do livescan services as well.

Personally, I would never ask a parent to have a background check done. They are not caring for my child, I am caring for thiers. But, as has been said before, to each his own

However, if another provider on these forums had done a background check on the parents, she would have known she had a child molester in her mist. That has made me consider it on the folks that do not have a direct connection with anyone already in my care.

Currently ALL my parents have a direct connection to me or someone I know personally. This is the first "outsider". I'm not leaning towards accepting them anyways. Just a gut feeling.

Anyway, I'm wanting to do the check on MY family to have it available if anyone should ask.
Maddy'sMommy 08:51 AM 12-07-2011
It's very common practice where I live to have a police records check if you are working with children. My husband and I both have one in my daycare folder, every parent has asked about it, but one parent asked to actually see it. I paid for them myself. In my opinion that is the cost of doing business. It cost like 15 dollars at the police department.
MarinaVanessa 08:52 AM 12-07-2011
I don't ask my parents for BG checks here either but it's also not the norm to have parents do them, it just isn't done like that here. Only licensed child care providers and center workers are required to do them. That is normal here. I wouldn't ask parent's to do them either and like Crystal said it, to each their own. Do what works for you and your business .

Before enrolling a family I require the parent's full name and DOB (I check ID) on an application and then I enter the info into a phone app that I have and check it against the online case inquiry. It's public access and all I need is their full name and DOB. If they have been charged with a sexual crime against a child then I won't accept them. Cases that show lawsuits for non-payment have also come up and I'm very cautious with these. I do it on a case by case basis.
Nellie 09:03 AM 12-07-2011
Licensing makes you have the bg checks on yourself, substitutes, and any one else that lives in your house.
SandeeAR 09:04 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't ask my parents for BG checks here either but it's also not the norm to have parents do them, it just isn't done like that here. Only licensed child care providers and center workers are required to do them. That is normal here. I wouldn't ask parent's to do them either and like Crystal said it, to each their own. Do what works for you and your business .

Before enrolling a family I require the parent's full name and DOB (I check ID) on an application and then I enter the info into a phone app that I have and check it against the online case inquiry. It's public access and all I need is their full name and DOB. If they have been charged with a sexual crime against a child then I won't accept them. Cases that show lawsuits for non-payment have also come up and I'm very cautious with these. I do it on a case by case basis.
Do you mind sharing the app? He only ask for our names and DOB. My guess this is what he is doing.
Ariana 09:16 AM 12-07-2011
I just got one done for a family who requested it and had to have one every 2 yrs when I was in a centre. Just go to the local police website and find out where you need to go or call them. It's pretty easy. I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail and it's been 6 wks already

I didn't ask my parents t get a background check done. It might be something I'll do in the future though because I honestly never thought about it. In the USA can't you look up registered sex offenders in your area? To me that would be a good idea as well.
MarinaVanessa 09:50 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
Do you mind sharing the app?
Sure, I have an iPhone and the app is called CriminalPages. It's free and checks it against all 50 states if you want it to however you have to know what you are looking for. I check online on our county case search first for local crimes (within the county) and then I check it against the app to see if there's anything in another state.
boysx5 09:56 AM 12-07-2011
we are required to have them here as well
Cat Herder 10:04 AM 12-07-2011
I am required to have them done and posted annually for all adults over 18 who spend time in my home, during daycare hours, on a regular basis. Not just those who reside here.

I run them on my clients one time, upon enrollment, for the OTHER clients AND an agreement with my very privacy conscious neighbors. City Officials, A Politician, Retired Teachers and Local Law Enforcement officers live in my small isolated subdivision. Subdivision is a loose term as "Gated Community" would be our opposite More like "Electric Fenced with Cattle Gaps, Ponds and Orchards".

They will also be coming into my home with my children daily. Rural living is very different than that of the 'burbs or cities.

I am only really screening for crimes against children, domestic violence and open warrants. This is public information. I ask their consent as Professional Courtesy... I don't actually need it.

Funny story: I had one DCD who did finger print cards of me himself "Just to feel safer"... Some folks watch too much FOX news... I just live here.
SandeeAR 10:08 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Sure, I have an iPhone and the app is called CriminalPages. It's free and checks it against all 50 states if you want it to however you have to know what you are looking for. I check online on our county case search first for local crimes (within the county) and then I check it against the app to see if there's anything in another state.

Thanks so much.
SandeeAR 10:09 AM 12-07-2011
FYI, I'm unlicensed, legally, by choice. Therefore, a background check is NOT required.
morgan24 10:09 AM 12-07-2011
I got mine done at the Sheriffs office & a finger print scan. We are required to have them also. I am going to look into the criminalpages.com, that could be a handy tool to have.
Unregistered 10:16 AM 12-07-2011
I have that app too and it does not work well.

My BIL is a registered sex offender as well as a wrap sheet the size of Texas!!

I typed in his name, nothing came up
I searched by zip code nothing
I searched by city nothing.

My BIL is a very very dangerous person and he should have been listed there. Thank god my SIL finally woke up and is divorcing this guy.

I look at it like this. We need to use our best judgement at all times. We can't run a back ground check on every single person we have walk past our front door. I know that criminals come in all shapes and sizes and we can't always read them.

I look at it like this, If you pass my radar and as long as you stay a good person and follow my rules, I don't care what you once did. Life is about where you are going, not where you have been.
Meeko 11:31 AM 12-07-2011

I care about who comes into my home and I do background checks on all my clients and prospective clients. Over the past few years I have been AMAZED at the things I find out!! It makes me shudder to think who has walked through my home before.

If I had done one on the child rapist who enrolled his daughter in my care, I could have saved what was one of the worst times of my life. Instead, I took him on face value.

Never again.

I let parents know they are welcome to do a check on me too. It's a two way street.
wdmmom 11:48 AM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
I care about who comes into my home and I do background checks on all my clients and prospective clients. Over the past few years I have been AMAZED at the things I find out!! It makes me shudder to think who has walked through my home before.

If I had done one on the child rapist who enrolled his daughter in my care, I could have saved what was one of the worst times of my life. Instead, I took him on face value.

Never again.

I let parents know they are welcome to do a check on me too. It's a two way street.
I don't blame ya in the least! I run a courts check on each prospective client before signing them up.

The craziest thing I found was a domestic assault charge against the DCM. It was 10 years ago and he never did the dropping off or picking up so I eventually ended up watching DCB.
Meeko 12:24 PM 12-07-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I don't blame ya in the least! I run a courts check on each prospective client before signing them up.

The craziest thing I found was a domestic assault charge against the DCM. It was 10 years ago and he never did the dropping off or picking up so I eventually ended up watching DCB.
I've found drug related charges, theft charges, domestic abuse, DUI's, you name it. The scariest part is that every single one of them surprised me. I wouldn't have suspected for a SECOND if I had gone on face value. Now I know that I can never be too sure of who is in the house.

My son lives in the home we use for day care and so his rooms are not visable from the day care area. But it used to be my home and we had nice things out where they could be seen by anyone who came by for a visit. Time and experience has taught me that Mr. Nice Dad may not just be looking for day care. He may also be noticing the big screen TV and home theater he wants for Christmas.......
Crystal 12:37 PM 12-07-2011
Meeko....I am not trying to start anything here....I have an honest question for you and hope you see it as such.

I am curious how, based on the other thread, you expect parents to have blind trust in you...not allowing observations prior to enrollment, they should trust you enough to not conduct unnanounced drop in, they are not allowed in the main room but can visit their own child in another room due to no "visiting" children, etc. But they are required to submit to background checks on them. Do they know you do background checks? And if not, how do you go about conducting a check without fingerprints, etc.
Country Kids 01:02 PM 12-07-2011
I've started thinking about doing background checks on clients with their permission. I think if they are very hesitant then thats a good indication that somethings up.

You never know what is going on with people and who may be walking in your door. My hubby works with the courts here and wow, it can be pretty weird at times. There has been a few times that he directs me in a store the other way just so one of the "clients" he has seen won't see his family. Imagine if these people just happened to show up at your house needing childcare.

A friend of mine was doing childcare and childrens protective services showed up at her door to remove the child from the parents custody. There were somethings going on to the point the children had to be removed. My friend was unaware of these things.

I know here at the courts you need a name, dob and drivers liscense possibly. Takes like 5 minutes and you are good to go.
Meeko 01:22 PM 12-07-2011
Meeko....I am not trying to start anything here....I have an honest question for you and hope you see it as such.

I am curious how, based on the other thread, you expect parents to have blind trust in you...not allowing observations prior to enrollment, they should trust you enough to not conduct unnanounced drop in, they are not allowed in the main room but can visit their own child in another room due to no "visiting" children, etc. But they are required to submit to background checks on them. Do they know you do background checks? And if not, how do you go about conducting a check without fingerprints, etc.
I don't do fingerprints....but I'm thinking about that too. The world is not the same as it was 27 years ago when I started child care.

I tell every parent that I run their name through the sex offender list and local sheriff's office data base. I let them know I am very picky about who comes in my home. It's a free check, so I technically don't have to tell them anything at all, but I do. I have had parents leave right then as they know negative stuff is on their record. That makes me happy because I don't want them in my house.

I discuss at length with prospective clients. Yes...I DO ask them to trust me.I know it's not always easy for them. I tell them that the very best relationships are built on trust. I tell them to call every single parent currently enrolled (they all OK this by the way) and dozens of past clients if they wish. I tell them to call licensing (who do unannounced visits). I have never been written up on a single thing in 27 years. I have never had one single verified complaint (a few parents who didn't want to pay have tried calling )

By state law, a parent has a right to visit at any time they chose and see their child and where they play. But they do NOT have a right to mingle with other people's children.

I admit that I am paranoid about who has access to the kids and who is in the house. Past experience has done that to me. I don't need to explain that again here. Running a simple check would have saved me soooo much heartache....and more importantly maybe saved little girls from abuse.

But I have parents who have called me back after interview and tell me they are chosing my day care BECAUSE I do not let the other parents around their kids. They too are concerned about who has access. They only have to worry about me and I soon earn their trust.

They know they can leave at any time in the first 4 weeks with no penalties contract-wise. If they aren't comfortable...then leave. It's easy.

In our training classes, we have actually been told that although we must meet state regs...we are sensible to have very strict rules in place. It is not unheard of nowadays for child sex offenders to pose as parents and visit child care facilities. They have learned that women are often working alone and there is a nice supply of little ones to look at.. that straight from the trainer's lips..

If Suzie's mom wants to come and see her, she is more than welcome any time we are open.. She can stick her head around the playroom door if she wants....and have a quick chat with me. But the bottom line is, she doesn't step over the gate. She should be concerned about SUZIE. How I am doing with Jimmy is none of her business. That's Jimmy's mom business.

If Suzie doesn't want to go home at the end of the day, that should signal to her mom that she is happy here. Deliberately showing up to TRY and find something wrong is not the way to a healthy relationship. I keep most of my kids for many years. I have parents admit that they don't even think about their kids during the day because they are COMPLETELY satisfied that their child is fine and being well taken care of. Many parents have said I take better care of them than they do!!!

I just have a different outlook than you do Crystal. That doesn't make me wrong and I don't think your way is bad. I used to think exactly the same way. Parents were free to come by anytime and hang out. I would encourage parents to come and help out at parties and certain activities.

That was before I had a child rapist in my home and before the state sensibly decided that ANYONE who spends regular time around the kids must have a full BCI/FBI background check, fingerprints and a minimum of 20 hours of training per year... just like me. I personally don't know any parents around here who would even WANT to do all that.

Yes...my day care parents trust me 100%. All of them.

I have a waiting list due to my reputation.

Two years ago, licensing head honchos called me from HQ and asked if I would be willing to have state legislators come through my day care. They were revamping all the licensing laws. They had been asked to show them through a day care that they felt was one of the best in the state and was run correctly. It's the biggest honor I have ever been given in my career and yes....on that day I allowed strangers in the house
Crystal 01:45 PM 12-07-2011
Thank you meeko.

I just have a different outlook than you do Crystal. That doesn't make me wrong and I don't think your way is bad. I used to think exactly the same way. Parents were free to come by anytime and hang out. I would encourage parents to come and help out at parties and certain activities.

I don't think you are wrong for doing things the way you do. Clearly your past experience is going to influence your business decisions and I don't blame you at all.

Again, thank you for a clear, well thought out reply....I really was curious about how you do this, and now I know
Tags:criminal records check
Reply Up