Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pictures and Privacy
originalkat 06:21 AM 01-05-2010
I know this his a hot topic for many and there are differing opinions, but I wanted to know what you guys think.

All the parents sign a photo release when they enroll. Well, as you may know, I recently created a website and a blog to share our activities. This is both for marketing reasons and for parents to see wht their kids have been doing at daycare.
Yesterday I sent home the monthly newsletter and let parents know about the new blog. A mom approached me this morning (she is very protective, asking about every little mark her child comes home with...but a great parent and very involved). Anyway, she loved the pictures but wasnt sure how comfortable she was with her kids pic on the internet. Then she said she started thinking about if someone showed up at my house and security type issues. I told her I understood. I do not have my address listed anywhere on website or blog. We live in a nice area and have a dog who barks when anyone comes in the yard. I told her I also lock all the doors after all the parents drop off and dont unlock them until late afternoon for pick-ups.

Do you think the blog should be password protected? I dont know why, but I dont see why it is a big deal. There is no personal info on the site. Only activity type pictures. No address. And I know I like to see other childcare providers blogs that I have come across. I hate it when they are password protected. I am willing to do it if all the parents...or even just one do not like the idea of it being an open blog. But I would prefer it being an open blog. Am I being naive?
AfterSchoolMom 06:30 AM 01-05-2010
Do you have photoshop? You can always go in and blur out the face of the child in question, while still retaining your photos.
tymaboy 08:06 AM 01-05-2010
I think the mother is looking to much into it. The only time someone actualy looks at our site is when they are looking for care or the parents. I have learned that is not always the strangers that you need to be worries about, I had a parent that went to jail for burglary & drugs. I had always felt that he was creepy when he came to pick up, the mother is great total opposite of father. If she does not want her child posted on the internet then pick pictures of without said child. If weirdos show up on your door step it will not because of the pictures posted on the site. It could because they know you have a daycare at your home or it could be for many other reasons.
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 08:54 AM 01-05-2010
I only post pics online of the kids playing when their faces dont show. The parents know which child is theirs, noone else needs to worry about the face. They see th ekids sliding down the slide, playing on the cars, etc,.. I just snap pics when the kids are looking away or their face is naturally obscurred.
Carole's Daycare 09:01 AM 01-05-2010
As a wife of a police officer, and volunteer regarding women and childrens safety issues, as well as a daycare provider, you need to consider the possibility that some families you may care for have greater security concerns. Perhaps family, ex concerns etc. Regardless, there are many weirdos out there, and they certainly look for the "target of opportunity" If you list even your daycare name and city, or your last name and state, your address may be available. Activity photos that include your yard or surroundings may help identify you. I was chosen to provide care for a couple of families specifically because of security issues. Discounting her concerns is not respectful of her feelings. Take pictures of the other children for your blog, omit her childs name, have separate permission for photos on your blog or advertising materials. I have pictures of all the kids for our daycare photo album, for crafts and to share with parents, but if I want a picture on a brochure I make sure the family is comfortable. Currently my ad photos are of my son and another child that no longer attends from 4 ys ago, with permission. Regardless of whether you feel its a risk or not, it is her right to not have her childs photo on your blog
Carole's Daycare 09:06 AM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I think the mother is looking to much into it. The only time someone actualy looks at our site is when they are looking for care or the parents. I have learned that is not always the strangers that you need to be worries about, I had a parent that went to jail for burglary & drugs. I had always felt that he was creepy when he came to pick up, the mother is great total opposite of father. If she does not want her child posted on the internet then pick pictures of without said child. If weirdos show up on your door step it will not because of the pictures posted on the site. It could because they know you have a daycare at your home or it could be for many other reasons.
FALSE Creepy perverts look at sites they know have pictures of kids and information about kids to fuel their illness. Just like pervs will hit on single moms to get to the kids. Even if they can't or don't act on their fantasy, the fantasy is there. I volunteer w/ sexual assault services and I promise you its better to be over cautious that to have your head in the sand
If you have creepy families like that, it puts everyone including your own family at risk- consider a background check.
Michael 02:23 PM 01-05-2010
Suggest you blur the children's faces for those parents that are uncomfortable.
Former Teacher 04:30 PM 01-05-2010
I agree with most of the posts that say either password protected or just blur the kiddo's faces.

With ALL due respect original kat, there is ALWAYS a way to find out where someone lives. The internet is a very scary place indeed. You can find out anything and everything.

Speaking of personal experiance, I have found my long lost sister whom I haven't seen in over 20 years on the net. I have found my Godfather who I don't even RECALL the last time I saw him. All using savoy tactics.

Before my husband and I were married I did some research on him. I found several of his old addresses. It was quite funny because I was like..umm honey did you live here and here and there? He was like..hey! how did you know!

Is this mother being overprotected? Yes absolutely! However in her defense she should be. In this day and age, you never know.
originalkat 06:52 PM 01-05-2010
It is true that people can find out where you live if they try...they can scope out areas... they can even do a fake search with a childcare resource and referral agency to find childcare providers...if you put a sign in your yard there could be potential predators who see it... I get that there are real issues to be concerned with. I do respect the mothers' concern and people have different levels of comfort regarding privacy. I told her to think it over and let me know. I wont put her child on the blog if she doesnt want or I can password protect. I am not going to take the time to blurr all the photos before loading them. But either of the other options are possibilities. I know we live in a age where technology can be used for good and for bad. However, you can also overreact and live in fear of all he sickos out there. Not to get religious... But I stand on the Word of God--

Deuteronomy 31:6 (New King James Version)
6 Be strong and of good courage, do not fear nor be afraid of them; for the LORD your God, He is the One who goes with you. He will not leave you nor forsake you.”

“I am with you to rescue and save you,” declares the LORD. “I will save you from the hands of the wicked and redeem you from the grasp of the cruel.” (Jer 15:20-21 NIV)
Carole's Daycare 06:58 PM 01-05-2010
With all due respect original kat, you can stand all you want on the Word, using common sense and caution is not a lack of faith, especially knowing what goes on in this fallen world. God gives mothers intuition, common sense etc to use.
originalkat 07:05 PM 01-05-2010
I stand on the Word first, and for my children...as a mother...I feel peace about having the blog open. However, I completely respect others who may not feel the same way.
momofboys 08:05 PM 01-05-2010
Originally Posted by originalkat:
I know this his a hot topic for many and there are differing opinions, but I wanted to know what you guys think.

All the parents sign a photo release when they enroll. Well, as you may know, I recently created a website and a blog to share our activities. This is both for marketing reasons and for parents to see wht their kids have been doing at daycare.
Yesterday I sent home the monthly newsletter and let parents know about the new blog. A mom approached me this morning (she is very protective, asking about every little mark her child comes home with...but a great parent and very involved). Anyway, she loved the pictures but wasnt sure how comfortable she was with her kids pic on the internet. Then she said she started thinking about if someone showed up at my house and security type issues. I told her I understood. I do not have my address listed anywhere on website or blog. We live in a nice area and have a dog who barks when anyone comes in the yard. I told her I also lock all the doors after all the parents drop off and dont unlock them until late afternoon for pick-ups.

Do you think the blog should be password protected? I dont know why, but I dont see why it is a big deal. There is no personal info on the site. Only activity type pictures. No address. And I know I like to see other childcare providers blogs that I have come across. I hate it when they are password protected. I am willing to do it if all the parents...or even just one do not like the idea of it being an open blog. But I would prefer it being an open blog. Am I being naive?
I would password protect it unless you are willing to delete those kids' pics. Just my opinion but there are weirdos out there.
DBug 11:29 AM 01-06-2010
A few years ago I was on staff at a church as Director of Children's Ministries. We had a similar dilemma of wanting to trust God to protect, but of having to write child protection policies to protect the kids coming into our programs, the volunteers, and the church itself. As faithful as God is, He does allow bad stuff to happen in this fallen world, as a necessary consequence of our free will. Nothing may come of this blog, but what if it did? I'm thinking that if a parent expresses concern, that's good enough reason to keep it password-protected, or just not do it altogether.

My very humble opinion is that the most you can do to protect the kids in your care is due diligence. If it occurs to you to avoid something, and it's practical to do, you should do it. For example, keeping your address and phone number off of Craigslist or Kijiji. I used to list my phone number, til I clued in that it's very easy to find an address using just the phone number. So I stopped listing it -- I do it all through email.

Anyway, just my two cents ...
Carole's Daycare 11:32 AM 01-14-2010
Very well thought out and stated. I love having a place to learn from other people's experience. Sometimes being a daycare provider can feel isolated...
Chickenhauler 11:00 PM 01-14-2010
I agree with password protecting it.

While you may not have an address listed on the site, a savvy techie can find it through back door means.

If you have a contact number listed, the address can be found very easily, even if it's a cell phone.
Tags:blurr picture, pervert, privacy, protection, security, website
Reply Up