Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-30-2016, 01:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Science!

I love giving my kids a bunch of containers of different colored water, vinegar, baking soda for science experiments.

What other components would make good safe reactions?

How do you science?
Old 10-30-2016, 03:45 PM
Daycare.com Member

oil to show separation?
I've done the rain clouds before, putting water in a clear glass, top with a layer of shaving cream, then squeeze food coloring over the top and watch it filter down through.

Also, can't remember exactly how this one is done but you use milk, dishwashing det.(Dawn works best)...oh crap my mind just blew a gasket. I can't remember if pepper or oil(maybe both) is used.

Not sure if that's what you had in mind.....
Old 10-30-2016, 03:53 PM
Daycare.com Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqQSlEViNpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EUfVIon6t8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho0o7H6dXSU
these are all fun!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:09 PM
Daycare.com Member

Cornstarch is a good one to add, because the texture when mixed with water is so interesting. Also it looks a lot like baking soda, so it's interesting to note that only one makes the reaction with vinegar. Salt, for texture, and because it dissolves in liquids. Dish soap is a fun addition. Spices, for scent and color. I make a tray with lots of different ingredients, empty (small!) containers for mixing (small, or all your ingredients are gone in seconds), spoons or sticks for stirring, pipettes for transferring liquids. Fun for ages!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

I keep a small science spot on the kid's lunch table. Right now it's two small pumpkins on a plastic tray from the $ Tree that has pictures of leaves all over it.

There are also two magnifying glasses, colored leaves, & gourds on the tray. I have also had out a bigger pumpkin, washable markers and a wet sponge to draw on faces and then wipe off.

Recently I had a 16 oz. soda bottle with pipe cleaners cut up in it, & one with large paper clips in it. These are sealed toughly with super glue and then electrical tape wrapper around the lid. I had two magnet wands set out with this.

In Nov. I set out real wild turkey feathers and magnifying glasses.

In dec. I put out different things for the five senses.

I out out something different every month...sometimes more often. I keep it simple.

I love preschool science!
Old 10-30-2016, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

I also love making discovery bottles and setting them in my science area.
Old 10-31-2016, 11:44 AM
Daycare.com Member

Thank you for all the great ideas! We did volcanos a lot during dino month and I got a little stuck after that. Looking forward to making a more comprehensive science area. I love my space, but I wish it were just a bit larger, so I could have the science stuff out all the time and not have to pack it up for snacks and meals.

Tags
science