Daycare.com Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default Self-Medicating Is Fine At 6 - Right?

Grrrr....just had a 6-year-old tell me that if his throat hurt during rest time, he'd need to take some medicine. I asked if he had medicine, and--yup!--out of his backpack comes liquid ibuprofen and a little scrap of paper on which he's written "66," "so I know how much I'm supposed to take."
Old 11-29-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingwithoutjoy View Post
Grrrr....just had a 6-year-old tell me that if his throat hurt during rest time, he'd need to take some medicine. I asked if he had medicine, and--yup!--out of his backpack comes liquid ibuprofen and a little scrap of paper on which he's written "66," "so I know how much I'm supposed to take."
Oh my!

The parent didn't tell you the meds were in his backpack?!

Wow! What if another child got ahold of it??

I would be seriously concerned about the entire situation... 6 is awfully young to be self-medicating.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would've had an instant fit and taken it away. No way would I allow a child to have medicine in his backpack.

Back when my kids were in school that was grounds for suspension.

I would call Mom and find out what the deal was.

My grandson, 9, self medicates but that is at home and he always tells someone that he's taking Motrin. He gets severe migraines and his Motrin is kept upstairs.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I would've had an instant fit and taken it away. No way would I allow a child to have medicine in his backpack.

Back when my kids were in school that was grounds for suspension.

I would call Mom and find out what the deal was.

My grandson, 9, self medicates but that is at home and he always tells someone that he's taking Motrin. He gets severe migraines and his Motrin is kept upstairs.
Yes. My ODS was 9-10 when we allowed him to TELL US before getting his own pill. He gets severe migraines (dr diagnosed) and takes a motrin for them. He still checks with me to make sure it's ok though! OMG! 6!

Hopefully he just put it in his bag and his mother is unaware and will speak to him. I doubt it, but I can hope.
Old 11-29-2016, 10:39 AM
Daycare.com Member

OMG I would be livid!!! I do sick care, but no way in H&ll would I let a kid bring their own medicine and keep it in his backpack.

In fact, I have a permission slip they sign for routine OTC meds that I provide. That way I know what is actually in the bottle. When I first started the twins mom, actually sent adult Nyquil in a child's medication bottle advertised as hylands. They were 4! This is when I purchased my own OTC meds.

66 was it written like a child or adult? I would be tempted to term. Do you have a medication policy?
Old 11-29-2016, 10:50 AM
Daycare.com Member

Oh, yes, I have a very clear medication policy, and forms they are to fill out. He had written it himself, but mom must have given him the medicine, I would imagine. And yes, I took it away and won't be giving him any, since I have no written permission. Mom is getting a call, but I had to vent first so I could calm down a bit!
Old 11-29-2016, 11:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

Oh geez. Come on people...
Old 11-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

And for the record in case my post was misunderstood, I got that the caregiver had no liability in this and it was definitely not with her knowledge or consent. I was mad at the audacity of the daycare parent only...
Old 11-30-2016, 09:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

And just curious, but what did mom say?
Old 11-30-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiesue View Post
And for the record in case my post was misunderstood, I got that the caregiver had no liability in this and it was definitely not with her knowledge or consent. I was mad at the audacity of the daycare parent only...
That is not always true.

Even if we (caregivers) aren't aware of something doesn't mean we aren't still liable.

That is why so many providers do not allow diaper bags or backpacks. ANYTHING on my property is my responsibility.....even if I wasn't aware or didn't give permission.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:13 AM

Update?
Old 11-30-2016, 10:22 AM
Daycare.com Member

True Blackcat31! The captain must always go down with the ship.

I just thought that maybe my comment was misunderstood. And tried to clarify. Yes provider has legal liability, but she was NOT condoning this practice!

I was just astounded a dcp would do this or have medicine in reach where the child could get without her knowledge!

We providers are a dying breed so we need to all stick together!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiesue View Post

We providers are a dying breed so we need to all stick together!
So true!!
Old 11-30-2016, 10:52 AM

That poor child! I feel so bad that his parents are this dumb
Old 12-01-2016, 10:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

Cassiesue...I understood your post wasn't against me; thank you! :-)

I wimped out on calling, but sent a very firmly worded email to the parent who'd dropped off. (Parents are divorced.) Turns out she didn't know either; the other parent had packed it for the child to have at her house. I felt awful for blaming the wrong parent, and apologized.

In the end, both parents apologized and have said it won't happen again, but I do think I'm going to have to be more alert to what's in bags. Ugh. (I don't usually allow bags, but since this child is going back and forth between two houses, I've allowed it.)