Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pink?! UPDATE
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 09-19-2012
I have an infant in care who is in the process of finding the right/suitable formula. DCP's are going back and forth between milk based, soy based and a little bit of breastmilk...when available. (that is a whole other story).

So a couple of days ago, I was running late getting out of here and instead of washing the bottles at the end of the day, I simply took the bottle, rinsed it out and left it in the sink filled with water. (the bottles are Dr. Brown glass bottles if that makes a difference).

When I returned the next day, I noticed the water in the bottle had a bright, neon pink film across the top. I thought "hmm, weird ?" but never gaveit a second thought. Figured I am on city water at daycare so who knows what kind of flouride or junk they put in it so who knows.

Anyways, it has happened again a few times since and now I am seeing the same pink spots on the blankets/rags I use with the baby because the baby is a major spitter and spits up a lot.

Mom was supplying the rags/blankets but lately the baby has been a bit more spitty (due to the food intake changes) and I have been going through more rags/blankets than normal.

Yesterday the baby spit up in the PNP and when I threw the sheet in my laundry basket I didn't give it a second thought. Now this morning the spot on the sheet as well as the spot in the mattress of the PNP is stained bright neon pink. WTH?

Now that I am really looking for it now, I see that there is slight pinkish stains on the plastic inserts to the bottles too and some spots on other places the baby has spit up.

Anyone know what the heck that is? Why hot pink?

I took a photo of the PNP mattress so maybe you can see it in the photo below...
Live and Learn 08:29 AM 09-19-2012
Are you making the bottles at daycare or is mom making them at home and bringing them to you? Hopefully mom isn't putting Benadryl or something in a bottle. ParanoidI know .....but it's the first thing that came to mind.
Blackcat31 08:32 AM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Are you making the bottles at daycare or is mom asking them at home and bringing them to you? Hopefully mom isn't putting Benadryl or something in a bottle. ParanoidI know .....but it's the first thing that came to mind.
I make them. She supplies the formula by the can, left at daycare. Brings fresh breastmilk daily when she can get enough.

I would suspect added things too, but this family is a golden one and VERY health conscious...cloth diapering, co-sleeping, breast milk if possible....VERY in tune to baby's needs and stuff.

I think they might even be a family that doesn't use any type of medications and things like that so definitely know mom didn't add anything. Baby is not on any supplements or anything like that either.
crazydaycarelady 08:38 AM 09-19-2012
I have NO idea what that could be but it is odd, very odd! I've never seen that in 21 years of providing care!
youretooloud 08:39 AM 09-19-2012
I would ask the parents to make the bottles at home for a while til you figure it out. I can't imagine why, but perhaps it's the water you use?

Or maybe they can bring filtered water in a bottle for a bit?

Otherwise, I can't imagine what it could be.
Live and Learn 08:58 AM 09-19-2012
I'm not sure how old the baby is but could they be giving baby grape or cranberry juice in the mornings and it is urping back up??....oh wait. It's in the bottle too....I give up....weird!
Oneluckymom 08:58 AM 09-19-2012
Are you using tap water? I ONLY use carbon filtered or bottled water ESP for babies. I have suspicion it's the water. So weird!
Blackcat31 09:10 AM 09-19-2012
Daycare family and I are both using city water. Our town is small enough that it is from the same water supply. They live only blocks away. I had asked mom before about using bottled water, but she believes bottled water is worse for you than tap. (???..I live in the country myself and use well water so I have no idea if that is true or not...just her preference to use tap water though)

Someone else I was chatting with said they thought it could be an enzyme or bacteria that is found in your digestive tract ?? and that it could maybe be from mom passed to baby or in baby. She didn't think it was anything bad but she was going to do a bit more research and let me know.

I thought it was odd as well and in all my years I have never seen something like this either.

Baby is 7 months. Healthy as could be and gaining weight, growing and developing right on track so no worries there.
Unregistered 02:03 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
Are you using tap water? I ONLY use carbon filtered or bottled water ESP for babies. I have suspicion it's the water. So weird!
A lot of people believe that bottled water is cleaner or some how healthier than tap water. This is an absolute myth! Tap water is not required to be tested for many things such as e. coli and is not required to meet the same rigorous standards as our tap water. We have very very high standards for our tap water (federal standards that apply to everyone on a municipal water system) and it is monitored constantly to ensure that it meets them. We have the cleanest water in the world, please stop buying bottled water! Bottled water costs more per volume that gasoline and creates a huge amount of waste. I have an extra filter on my tap to remove some natural minerals that give it a slightly funky taste but otherwise I would trust my tap water over anything you can buy in a bottle.
TheirEmi 11:44 AM 05-23-2013
Originally Posted by Live and Learn:
Are you making the bottles at daycare or is mom making them at home and bringing them to you? Hopefully mom isn't putting Benadryl or something in a bottle. ParanoidI know .....but it's the first thing that came to mind.
me too
Unregistered 10:13 AM 07-07-2013
I had serratia marcescens and my breast milk and anything the baby would spit up on would turn hot pink as well, it almost killed my son, he was throwing up so much and had the worst diarrhea he had to be in hospital for a week and was under a failure to thrive, I was also very sick by this but healed easier due to my immune system is much stronger than a baby's, very scary bacteria and i got it through the hospitals catheter. Makes you wanna take more precautions when choosing a hospital. - - Karissa
Tags:bacteria, hot pink, infant, pepto-bismol, serratia marcescens
Reply Up