Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>shoes when learning to walk?
littlemommy 06:16 AM 09-30-2011
Yesterday I had a mom of a 13 month old insist that I keep his shoes on ALL day. She said it will help with his walking. I've always heard to let babies be barefoot when learning to walk, and told her that. She said "yeah, I've always heard that too, but someone just told me that shoes will definitely help. Please do NOT take them off of him all day."
nannyde 07:01 AM 09-30-2011
No shoes inside the house.

He will step on someones fingers.

We must do what is best for the group not what is best for her one child. Time for her to start thinking of the others.
Meyou 07:16 AM 09-30-2011
No shoes in the house here either. Is he booked for a race that he needs to be pushed to walk?? In training for a marathon at 2 perhaps?
littlemommy 07:23 AM 09-30-2011
We are also a no shoe household. He doesn't keep them on for long, so there's no point in me chasing them down all day. My 20 month old saw this morning that the little guy had shoes on so he had to go get his.
Blackcat31 07:34 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Yesterday I had a mom of a 13 month old insist that I keep his shoes on ALL day. She said it will help with his walking. I've always heard to let babies be barefoot when learning to walk, and told her that. She said "yeah, I've always heard that too, but someone just told me that shoes will definitely help. Please do NOT take them off of him all day."
Here is a couple of snippets of reasearch supporting children learning to walk with out shoes.

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfmedresearch.htm

We are also a no shoe home. I don't like the dirt shoes bring in and like Nan said, it is a danger to the others so group needs outweigh individual needs here.
littlemommy 07:39 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here is a couple of snippets of reasearch supporting children learning to walk with out shoes.

http://www.unshod.org/pfbc/pfmedresearch.htm

We are also a no shoe home. I don't like the dirt shoes bring in and like Nan said, it is a danger to the others so group needs outweigh individual needs here.
Good article! I wish I had dc parent's email addresses so I could forward good information on.
Blackcat31 07:44 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Good article! I wish I had dc parent's email addresses so I could forward good information on.
Print it out and pass it on to her so your rules are supported by some reasearch. I tuck little newletter type info into the kids' weekly folders so I can share stuff with parents.

Is she agreeing to not have her child wear shoes or are you allowing the shoes? I wonder where she got her info that it will help him?
littlemommy 07:46 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Print it out and pass it on to her so your rules are supported by some reasearch. I tuck little newletter type info into the kids' weekly folders so I can share stuff with parents.

Is she agreeing to not have her child wear shoes or are you allowing the shoes? I wonder where she got her info that it will help him?
Today I took them off after a bit. I wanted to see if there really is a difference in his "walking." Not sure why she's so anxious for him to walk...he doesn't even stand if he's not holding onto something. After I took them off, I noticed that he was walking along furniture more. Proof!! haha
SilverSabre25 07:57 AM 09-30-2011
I'm guessing that these are more than the Robeeze-type slipper things.

Wearing shoes actually impedes their learning to walk because they can't bend their foot very well with shoes on. The reason he's walking more along furniture without the shoes on is because he can move his foot better and feel better what he's doing!

Poor little guy. I bet it was her mom or grandmother or similar well-meaning-but-older person who told her that it would help.

Personally, this is the kind of thing where I would take them off as soon as mom is out of sight and put them back on 15 minutes before she's due to pick-up. Just don't mention it to her; you're not going to change her mind. Frankly she sounds like she's mildly off her rocker.

I had a set like her last fall...drugged their daughter with Benedryl ("she has a slight cold") every.single.day. Wanted me to keep shoes on her constantly ("her feet get too cold"). Picked her up early one day when a windstorm was due to be hitting our area ("Have you been following the news?! There could be tornados!! Do you have a tornado plan?! WE"RE PICKING HER UP!!!111!1 Zomg!!!!")
littlemommy 08:00 AM 09-30-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I'm guessing that these are more than the Robeeze-type slipper things.

Wearing shoes actually impedes their learning to walk because they can't bend their foot very well with shoes on. The reason he's walking more along furniture without the shoes on is because he can move his foot better and feel better what he's doing!

Poor little guy. I bet it was her mom or grandmother or similar well-meaning-but-older person who told her that it would help.

Personally, this is the kind of thing where I would take them off as soon as mom is out of sight and put them back on 15 minutes before she's due to pick-up. Just don't mention it to her; you're not going to change her mind. Frankly she sounds like she's mildly off her rocker.

I had a set like her last fall...drugged their daughter with Benedryl ("she has a slight cold") every.single.day. Wanted me to keep shoes on her constantly ("her feet get too cold"). Picked her up early one day when a windstorm was due to be hitting our area ("Have you been following the news?! There could be tornados!! Do you have a tornado plan?! WE"RE PICKING HER UP!!!111!1 Zomg!!!!")
off her rocker is right. See my post about keeping him drugged 24/7
sharlan 08:09 AM 09-30-2011
I would give the mom the flyer someone else posted. Little ones do not need shoes, period.

I am a no shoe house. The only time we wear shoes is when we walk outside the FRONT door, rarely wear shoes out back.
Heidi 08:23 AM 09-30-2011
No shoes inside the house...but def. outside in WI in the fall would be nice. 3 weeks now since I asked mom for some....
Reply Up