Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Changing Policy on Schedule: Letter to parents?
Brooksie 07:26 AM 07-18-2013
How would you guys word a letter to DCPs about starting to enforce drop offs with your schedule? Its really just one parent that's been a problem and she's been a bit better about getting him here before 10:00 but its still a problem. For example, this is our schedule::
7:30- Breakfast
8:00- Morning Choice
8:45- Circle Time/Morning group activity
9:30- Outside play
10:30- Clean Up
10:45- Lunch
11:15- Story time
11:30- Nap time
1:30- Choice time/Snack time
2:30- Outside time
3:30- Afternoon activity
4:30 Choice time/Pick up

This DCM has been dropping off DCB (14 mo) between 9-9:30 and he has literally just woken up, is still in PJs (and a total grump because she has to wake him up) and he hasn't eaten breakfast. Today he was dropped off right after we finished circle time and again was in Pjs and not eaten. The PJs he was in were button up long sleeve and long pant body suit (its already in the 80s). I gave him a few cheerios before we went outside but I'm tired of doing everything twice every single day. And this kid sleeps so late he's a pain to put down for nap AND he only sleeps for 1hr 15min-ish and has been very disruptive to the other children who generally sleep at least 2 hours and need every second of it since they are all on normal schedules.

Before (since just starting my business in September, I was MUCH more flexible; dealing with part timers and shorter days and a small group. Now its much more difficult. I have a 13mo dcb, 14 mo dcb, my 2.5yr dd, another 2.5 yr dcg starting in a couple weeks and then a 13 yo summer care special needs child. Every one else does wonderfully on the schedule but it seems like this mom just can't get with the program. I'm kind of hoping that by enforcing this schedule she will either pull him (I have a long waiting list and a previous dcf that wants an infant spot immediately) or start bringing him on time.

So I'm thinking I need to say any drop offs after 8:00 must be dressed and fed for the morning and then no drop offs after...?? Idk, what would you say? all kids must be dropped off before circle time? or before outside time? I'm worried if they are dropped off before outside time they will disrupt circle/activity time. I won't be available to greet and get him settled. But I know she won't be able to drop off by 8:45.

So how would you guys word this?
TheGoodLife 08:14 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
How would you guys word a letter to DCPs about starting to enforce drop offs with your schedule? Its really just one parent that's been a problem and she's been a bit better about getting him here before 10:00 but its still a problem. For example, this is our schedule::
7:30- Breakfast
8:00- Morning Choice
8:45- Circle Time/Morning group activity
9:30- Outside play
10:30- Clean Up
10:45- Lunch
11:15- Story time
11:30- Nap time
1:30- Choice time/Snack time
2:30- Outside time
3:30- Afternoon activity
4:30 Choice time/Pick up

This DCM has been dropping off DCB (14 mo) between 9-9:30 and he has literally just woken up, is still in PJs (and a total grump because she has to wake him up) and he hasn't eaten breakfast. Today he was dropped off right after we finished circle time and again was in Pjs and not eaten. The PJs he was in were button up long sleeve and long pant body suit (its already in the 80s). I gave him a few cheerios before we went outside but I'm tired of doing everything twice every single day. And this kid sleeps so late he's a pain to put down for nap AND he only sleeps for 1hr 15min-ish and has been very disruptive to the other children who generally sleep at least 2 hours and need every second of it since they are all on normal schedules.

Before (since just starting my business in September, I was MUCH more flexible; dealing with part timers and shorter days and a small group. Now its much more difficult. I have a 13mo dcb, 14 mo dcb, my 2.5yr dd, another 2.5 yr dcg starting in a couple weeks and then a 13 yo summer care special needs child. Every one else does wonderfully on the schedule but it seems like this mom just can't get with the program. I'm kind of hoping that by enforcing this schedule she will either pull him (I have a long waiting list and a previous dcf that wants an infant spot immediately) or start bringing him on time.

So I'm thinking I need to say any drop offs after 8:00 must be dressed and fed for the morning and then no drop offs after...?? Idk, what would you say? all kids must be dropped off before circle time? or before outside time? I'm worried if they are dropped off before outside time they will disrupt circle/activity time. I won't be available to greet and get him settled. But I know she won't be able to drop off by 8:45.

So how would you guys word this?
It sounds like you are not worried about filling the spot. In that case I'd enforce a new policy:

As of (date- at least 2 weeks notice, preferably up to a month), I will be amending my contract to include drop-off times to be between the hours of (opening time) and 8:30. Any child dropped off after 7:30 will have missed our breakfast time and needs to be fed prior to arrival. Please remember to have your child dressed, in a fresh diaper, and ready to join the fun! Thanks for your understanding.

Then have them sign it. If they ask about why, then explain that your program is scheduled in a way that inconsistent drop-offs can be disruptive and the kids need to have structure and consistency. They if they do not sign, or if they do not follow your contract, you can decide to term if you want.
kathiemarie 08:39 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
It sounds like you are not worried about filling the spot. In that case I'd enforce a new policy:

As of (date- at least 2 weeks notice, preferably up to a month), I will be amending my contract to include drop-off times to be between the hours of (opening time) and 8:30. Any child dropped off after 7:30 will have missed our breakfast time and needs to be fed prior to arrival. Please remember to have your child dressed, in a fresh diaper, and ready to join the fun! Thanks for your understanding.

Then have them sign it. If they ask about why, then explain that your program is scheduled in a way that inconsistent drop-offs can be disruptive and the kids need to have structure and consistency. They if they do not sign, or if they do not follow your contract, you can decide to term if you want.

MarinaVanessa 09:50 AM 07-18-2013
Dear DCF's,

I am excited and blessed to say that my daycare business has grown and is thriving. This has a lot to do with the great families that I work with. Running a successful child care business is a blessing however a growing business means that changes are now needed so that I can continue to provide great child care which meets the needs of all of the children and the group as a whole.

Children thrive on routine and so I have made minor modifications/created a schedule that both benefits the group and helps me maintain consistency throughout our day. That new schedule is attached to this notice, please make sure to review it and to make note of meal, activity and rest times.

Additionally please take note that:
I would like to thank my current families for being so great and look forward to working with you all in the years to come. Thank you and have a great rest of the year and beyond.

Provider

** you should also probably include a start-date with at least like a two-week notice (or whatever your policies say) of when you want to enforce your new schedule and new rules etc. This way you can ease into the whole new routine. And of course I would talk to the clients individally and wuickly mention to them and remind them of the changes.

"Don't forget. We already started practicing our new schedule and routine but next week it'll be concrete and the new policies apply. Man, let me tell you ... already the new routine has helped out sooooo much. Our day runs so much smoother and things are less hectic"
Familycare71 09:58 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Dear DCF's,

I am excited and blessed to say that my daycare business has grown and is thriving. This has a lot to do with the great families that I work with. Running a successful child care business is a blessing however a growing business means that changes are now needed so that I can continue to provide great child care which meets the needs of all of the children and the group as a whole.

Children thrive on routine and so I have made minor modifications/created a schedule that both benefits the group and helps me maintain consistency throughout our day. That new schedule is attached to this notice, please make sure to review it and to make note of meal, activity and rest times.

Additionally please take note that:
  • Children must arrive before mealtimes in order to participate in meals. Meals will be prepared in advance and will be served at the appropriate times. Meal items will then be immediately put away. Children arriving after the scheduled meal times must arrive fed.
  • Children arriving at or after 8am must arrive clean, dressed and in a clean diaper.
  • No pick ups or drops offs during nap-times as this disturbs the resting children. If picking up your child early please make arrangements to have them picked up before or after these times.

I would like to thank my current families for being so great and look forward to working with you all in the years to come. Thank you and have a great rest of the year and beyond.

Provider

** you should also probably include a start-date with at least like a two-week notice (or whatever your policies say) of when you want to enforce your new schedule and new rules etc. This way you can ease into the whole new routine. And of course I would talk to the clients individally and wuickly mention to them and remind them of the changes.

"Don't forget. We already started practicing our new schedule and routine but next week it'll be concrete and the new policies apply. Man, let me tell you ... already the new routine has helped out sooooo much. Our day runs so much smoother and things are less hectic"
Perfect!
Brooksie 09:58 AM 07-18-2013
Would you guys mention that any thing after the cut off time will not be permitted?
daycarediva 10:05 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
Would you guys mention that any thing after the cut off time will not be permitted?
I sent home something similar to MV's letter, but I included that there will be no drop offs allowed after 9am unless it is a special circumstance and pre-arranged by me.
wdmmom 10:10 AM 07-18-2013
Drop off must be before 9am to be in attendance for the day. Dropoff's after 9am must be approved in advance. If your child has not arrived by 9am, they will not be accepted that day.

Children must arrive dressed and ready for the day. This means diaper, seasonably appropriate clothing and shoes. Children arriving in an overnight diaper/pajamas will not be accepted into the daycare until they are ready for the day. Please keep in mind that we do not offer a changing area or changing room to accommodate this.

Meal times are as follows: 8am breakfast, 1115am lunch, 315pm snack. If your child is not in attendance at the meal time, you will be required to feed your child prior to arrival.
Brooksie 10:13 AM 07-18-2013
So this is what I've written up: (thanks ladies, as you can see I meshed the two)

Dear Parents,
I am excited to say that my childcare business has grown and is thriving! This has a lot to do with the great families that we have here at Sprouts. However, a growing business means that changes are now needed.

With our ever expanding group, and the quality of childcare I strive to provide our Sprouts, as of August 5th 2013 I will be amending my contract to include drop-off times to be between 7:30am and 8:30 am only. This will ensure that I am able to provide consistency, routine and structure best suited for our age groups and our curriculum. Any child dropped off between 8-8:30am will have missed our breakfast time and needs to be fed prior to arrival; the next meal I will be serving is lunch (see our attached schedule). Please remember to have your child dressed for the day and appropriately for the weather and seasons.

I would like to thank my current families for being so great and to welcome our new families as well! I look forward to working with you all in the years to come.

Brooksie 10:16 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I sent home something similar to MV's letter, but I included that there will be no drop offs allowed after 9am unless it is a special circumstance and pre-arranged by me.
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Drop off must be before 9am to be in attendance for the day. Dropoff's after 9am must be approved in advance. If your child has not arrived by 9am, they will not be accepted that day.

Children must arrive dressed and ready for the day. This means diaper, seasonably appropriate clothing and shoes. Children arriving in an overnight diaper/pajamas will not be accepted into the daycare until they are ready for the day. Please keep in mind that we do not offer a changing area or changing room to accommodate this.

Meal times are as follows: 8am breakfast, 1115am lunch, 315pm snack. If your child is not in attendance at the meal time, you will be required to feed your child prior to arrival.
I'm worried if I put down that no one will be accepted after 9 then that one mom will look straight passed the 8:30 thing and see it as 9. Should I just say that no child will be accepted for the day once we start our Morning Group Activities?
Reply Up