Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rinse and Repeat...Arg!
Jack Sprat 11:52 AM 09-16-2013
Our new little guy is having a rough time with nap. He is used to being rocked to sleep and held a lot while napping. My routine with him now is to read a book, rock for one song on Pandora then put him in the pack and play. He is 18 months old and tell him he is going to bed and screams. I walk out of the room and wait for a bit. He calms down for about 10 minutes. Then he begins throwing out the blanket, tossing his binkie, and pulling the sheet up. I go in tell him he is okay fix the bed, lay him down and leave. And he begins again. He doesn't talk at all. So its a lot of grunting and moaning..

I pray that this gets better. He did better this morning then last week. I see improvement. Now if we can just nap time going in the right direction. Any tips for us?
Blackcat31 12:01 PM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
Our new little guy is having a rough time with nap. He is used to being rocked to sleep and held a lot while napping. My routine with him now is to read a book, rock for one song on Pandora then put him in the pack and play. He is 18 months old and tell him he is going to bed and screams. I walk out of the room and wait for a bit. He calms down for about 10 minutes. Then he begins throwing out the blanket, tossing his binkie, and pulling the sheet up. I go in tell him he is okay fix the bed, lay him down and leave. And he begins again. He doesn't talk at all. So its a lot of grunting and moaning..

I pray that this gets better. He did better this morning then last week. I see improvement. Now if we can just nap time going in the right direction. Any tips for us?
Sleep sack, NO items in the crib (PNP) and visual contact only....I wouldn't say anything. At 18 months old, he is having a tough time because no one taught him how to self-soothe....

This one needs to go back onto the parents. Ask them how they put him to bed at night....specifically step by step...

As soon as mom/dad mention rocking, you need to "educate" them as to how it needs to be done so that he fits into group care.

It's tough but it CAN be done if the parents are honest and are doing the same at home.
Jack Sprat 12:09 PM 09-16-2013
They rock him to sleep and since last week he was having a tough time they let him sleep with them. I told dad I understood why he was doing that but, it was making it harder on dcb. DCD said they knew that but, felt so bad for him and they were exhausted. He doesn't sleep through the night and takes a bottle at nap. I don't agree with this at this age. Mom said she really wanted him to have it since he is small for his age. So he gets a bottle while we rock. He also watches a movie while being rocked at home. Good gravy no wonder the poor kid is having a hard time.

I am ordering a sleep sack now! He loves to snuggle I bet he would love that.
lovemylife 12:18 PM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Sleep sack, NO items in the crib (PNP) and visual contact only....I wouldn't say anything. At 18 months old, he is having a tough time because no one taught him how to self-soothe....

This one needs to go back onto the parents. Ask them how they put him to bed at night....specifically step by step...

As soon as mom/dad mention rocking, you need to "educate" them as to how it needs to be done so that he fits into group care.

It's tough but it CAN be done if the parents are honest and are doing the same at home.
No items in the crib at 18 months old?
lovemylife 12:19 PM 09-16-2013

That is so hard on you and the child! I can understand a parent being exhausted and just wanting to give in because they want to sleep. But it's going to hurt everyone in the long run! IMO if you can handle it. Just let him self soothe. Hopefully after a few days he will calm down and get the hang of it. What does mom and dad say?
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
No items in the crib at 18 months old?
I just meant so that the DCB doesn't have something to distract him...kwim?

Normally nothing in the crib or PNP is only for 12 months and younger but I do find that some older toddlers that have bad sleep habits tend to focus on how much stuff can they throw out and then cry to get back so that the provider needs to go back in, give the stuff back only to have them toss it out again....soon it becomes never ending (and NO longer about sleep.....
lovemylife 12:25 PM 09-16-2013
I just meant so that the DCB doesn't have something to distract him...kwim?

Normally nothing in the crib or PNP is only for 12 months and younger but I do find that some older toddlers that have bad sleep habits tend to focus on how much stuff can they throw out and then cry to get back so that the provider needs to go back in, give the stuff back only to have them toss it out again....soon it becomes never ending (and NO longer about sleep.....
Oh ok! I thought I missed something! Like they moved it from 12 months to 18 months. That's a great idea! Hopefully it works!
Jack Sprat 12:34 PM 09-16-2013
He is sleeping now. He fussed I wouldn't call it crying for about 10 more minutes. He is now sleeping. He did strip off the sheet again and tossed the blanket. But, kept that binki! I see what you mean about nothing in the crib.

I totally get where his parents are coming from. When our dds were little I didn't care where they slept as long as we were all sleeping. Makes me wonder how our youngest made it through naps at daycare. She was nursed and rocked to sleep everyday till she was 10 months. Feel bad for her providers now!

His parents are the nicest people but, very helicopter like. I know she doesn't let him fuss and is very attentive. I told her nap time was hard but, we were hoping it was because it was the first week.

I am going to try and let him self soothe. It kills me to hear a kiddo cry and I am terrible about swooping in and rocking. But, with more then one kiddo its not practical. Nor, helping the little man.
lovemylife 12:37 PM 09-16-2013
He is sleeping now. He fussed I wouldn't call it crying for about 10 more minutes. He is now sleeping. He did strip off the sheet again and tossed the blanket. But, kept that binki! I see what you mean about nothing in the crib.

I totally get where his parents are coming from. When our dds were little I didn't care where they slept as long as we were all sleeping. Makes me wonder how our youngest made it through naps at daycare. She was nursed and rocked to sleep everyday till she was 10 months. Feel bad for her providers now!

His parents are the nicest people but, very helicopter like. I know she doesn't let him fuss and is very attentive. I told her nap time was hard but, we were hoping it was because it was the first week.

I am going to try and let him self soothe. It kills me to hear a kiddo cry and I am terrible about swooping in and rocking. But, with more then one kiddo its not practical. Nor, helping the little man.

It is really hard to hear children cry!
preschoolteacher 01:32 PM 09-16-2013
Sleeping can be so hard! My 14-month old son still nurses to sleep at night, but starting around 7 months old, we began working HARD so that he could go down for naps easily because I knew I'd be opening a daycare. At nap time now, I just plop him down in there in his crib wide awake and he snuggles up without a problem.

Is your DCB full time? If so, he'll probably adjust to your routine before long. I'd recommend keeping nap time very predictable. Always at the same time, always done the same way! I'd also talk to mom and dad about some of the crutches they are using for him... in particular, being rocked to sleep while watching a video (yikes!). Can you sympathize with them about how hard it is to hear him cry, but that he needs to learn to fall asleep on his own because in the long run, it's going to be more detrimental to him? He is 18 months old... if this were a younger baby we were talking about, I might not worry so much about the rocking. But 18 months old is just too old for this, in my opinion.

I would not continue rocking him. His parents can do that at home, but I wouldn't rock an 18 month old at daycare. I think kids adjust to different settings and if he knows you'll rock him, he'll start to expect it. I'd just start putting him down for nap the way you want him to go to sleep.

I also don't think that 10 minutes of whining/fussing is a problem. He's expressing his frustration and upset at having to take a nap. Let him have his feelings. If he's not inconsolable, sobbing, etc., he will be just fine.
Maria2013 05:21 PM 09-16-2013

Jack Sprat 11:25 AM 09-17-2013
I talked to DCM yesterday. Let her know that nap was a bit of challenge. She said they are still co-sleeping but trying to get him back to his bed. I suggested that they go cold turkey on the co-sleeping as it IMO was making nap time harder here. She was in agreement and said that no one sleeps well when he is in bed with them.

Today we sat in the chair, he drank his bottle, he took his binki, I laid him down, he screamed for no more then 30 seconds and is now sleeping!!

We are very routine here. He is learning what comes next and knows that after our dd leaves for school we begin nap time. Hopefully he will take a good nap today!

Thanks for all the help ladies.
Cradle2crayons 11:30 AM 09-17-2013
I talked to DCM yesterday. Let her know that nap was a bit of challenge. She said they are still co-sleeping but trying to get him back to his bed. I suggested that they go cold turkey on the co-sleeping as it IMO was making nap time harder here. She was in agreement and said that no one sleeps well when he is in bed with them.

Today we sat in the chair, he drank his bottle, he took his binki, I laid him down, he screamed for no more then 30 seconds and is now sleeping!!

We are very routine here. He is learning what comes next and knows that after our dd leaves for school we begin nap time. Hopefully he will take a good nap today!

Thanks for all the help ladies.
awesome
Tags:sleep - issues
Reply Up