Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wheat, Peanut, Soy Allergies
sharlan 12:12 PM 05-12-2014
My youngest grandson, 6, was just diagnosed with the above allergies. His diet pretty much consists of crackers, pbj sandwiches, edamame, and candy.

I need new ideas for his afterschool snacks. Fruit & yogurt are pretty much hit and miss.

Any ideas?
SilverSabre25 12:16 PM 05-12-2014
Is this the one with the migraines?

Ideas:
cottage cheese w/pineapple or peaches
celery with cream cheese
sunbutter (sunflower seeds) and celery, or apples.
gluten/soy free bready things (glutino is good, though I don't know about the soy content)
lunchmeat or diced meats
hardboiled eggs/deviled eggs/egg salad on GF crackers
dried fruits (high sugar content/candy replacement)

He may be iffy on things now but can learn to like them and eat differently
Blackcat31 12:24 PM 05-12-2014
This book was recommended to me by a DCM with a son who has allergies to pretty much everything you listed and then some...

http://www.amazon.com/Allergy-Self-H.../dp/0875961096

Here is a great site too that is loaded with info about healthy diets/meals/snacks/ideas for allergies like you mentioned.

http://www.thesuperallergycookbook.com/
wdmmom 12:30 PM 05-12-2014
cheese cubes
celery and carrot sticks
nutella
fruit snacks
apples with caramel or dip them in plain yogurt
cheese sticks
popsicles or fruit bars
e.j. 05:58 PM 05-12-2014
My dd has allergies to wheat, soy, peanuts and corn along with a few other foods. Some aren't necessarily the healthiest foods she could eat but she likes to snack on:

-cherry tomatoes, snap peas, broccoli, sweet peppers and other fresh veggies dipped in salad dressing. We found a line of dressings by Marzetti called Simply Dressed that she likes. There are at least 3 flavors that don't include wheat, soy or peanuts

-baked potato with gluten free bacon bits and cheddar cheese

-Fruit smoothies

-Walmart carries some Udi's products (their cheese pizza and chocolate chip cookies are her favorites)

-Jello has a flavor or 2 that she can eat. I think maybe blue raspberry and lime are ok for her to eat? You just have to check the ingredients.

- Sweet Potato chips. We just found them at Aldi's this weekend. I'm not sure who makes them because she polished off the bag already but she loooooved them! Just sweet potato, canola oil and sea salt I think. Cape Cod chips are similar but with potato vs sw. potato.

I found the following at a local grocery store that I think is specific to this region. I'm not sure if your local grocery stores would carry them but it might be worth a try.

-Against The Grain baguettes, toasted and topped with almond butter or spaghetti sauce and cheese.

-Pamela's Simplebites Extreme Chocolate Mini Cookies

-Annies Mac and Cheese Rice Shells and Creamy While Cheddar

-All natural fruit strips by Stretch Island Fruit Co.

**You may know this already but one thing I've found is that packaging will sometimes state that a product is gluten free but if you look on the back of the package, just below the ingredients list, it may state that the product is manufactured in a facility that also makes products with wheat, soy, peanuts. I once bought a big bag of dried apricots from BJ's because it said "Gluten Free" on the front of the package. Just before my dd ate some of them, she decided to check the back of the package only to find that they were packaged with foods that contain wheat. I felt terrible but learned a very valuable lesson that day about not trusting the "Gluten Free" claim on the front of the package!
midaycare 06:44 PM 05-12-2014
Veggie sticks and chips - the veggie sticks start to taste like chips after awhile. The chips are not quite as good imo, but they can be found in walmart, so pretty much anywhere.

We do a lot of little things around here - make our own "lunchables". Grapes, cubed cheese, gluten free crackers ...

Larabars!!!

I'm not sure how long she has been diagnosed, but once the processed food gets out of the system, all of the healthy stuff starts to taste great
nothingwithoutjoy 07:08 PM 05-12-2014
Popcorn's a huge snack-time hit here. (We do flavor variations; today's was butter/cinnamon/salt combo; sounds weird, but they love it.)

Today was hot here, so I'm now thinking about popsicles. We do lots of veggie/fruit puree type popsicles that taste sweet because of the fruit.

Here's my snacks pinterest board: selected for different allergies, but there's lots of possibilities there that would work.
Reply Up