Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>NAFCC Accreditation
originalkat 06:13 AM 01-23-2015
Do we have any NAFCC accredited programs represented here? I have been considering doing this, but I still hate to fork out the money for it. My state does not have grant money as far as I know. Is anyone else considering this?
Cat Herder 06:34 AM 01-23-2015
I considered it but it is only one check box on the registry. It made no difference in my "professional" level and my clients would not care one way or the other.

Ironically, just becoming a "member" filled a check box that DID raise my "professional" level a few years ago.

Maybe if a provider had only a high school diploma it would make a difference for them?
Heidi 07:47 AM 01-23-2015
I am in the process. March is my observation month.

In WI, being accredited automatically makes you a 4 star, or a 5 star if you have a degree.

We also had grants available, so it cost me nothing except time and effort.
Annalee 07:49 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by originalkat:
Do we have any NAFCC accredited programs represented here? I have been considering doing this, but I still hate to fork out the money for it. My state does not have grant money as far as I know. Is anyone else considering this?
I went through NAFCC Accreditation twice and loved it...It is Provider friendly unlike the QRIS I deal with through the state here.. The only reason I did not continue renewing Accreditation is because the state had funding both times I completed Accreditation but no funds now. It is a rewarding program!
Annalee 07:51 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I am in the process. March is my observation month.

In WI, being accredited automatically makes you a 4 star, or a 5 star if you have a degree.

We also had grants available, so it cost me nothing except time and effort.
As long as the grant money is there, take advantage of Accreditation. I loved going through the process!
Heidi 10:51 AM 01-23-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
As long as the grant money is there, take advantage of Accreditation. I loved going through the process!
Yes, I am so grateful that our state uses accreditation as a "fast track" on the QRIS. I do wish I didn't know so much about the slow-track though. I constantly beat myself up over not meeting those standards, even though I truly feel they are completely over-the-top and/or inappropriate for family chidlcare.

During my Practicum's, my instructors came to my program to observe me. Their feedback was mostly positive. The "areas for improvement" were all things that are FCCER"s related or QRIS related. For example, I plated lunch, and washed everyone's hands, then sat the toddlers while the older children washed theirs. One of the older children was goofing around and didn't sit down right away. While I wrangled him (very kindly, I might add), the toddlers had to *gasp!* wait MORE THAN THREE MINUTES for their meal!

I was told that this would be a "ding" for the QRIS. I was not, however, given and SOLUTIONS by these "experts" on how to prevent such an atrocity from happening again.

Now, I'm nervous about the accreditation observation because of commentary like that. Of course, I KNOW I won't be perfect-but I feel like I have to be.
Annalee 11:09 AM 01-23-2015
Yes, I am so grateful that our state uses accreditation as a "fast track" on the QRIS. I do wish I didn't know so much about the slow-track though. I constantly beat myself up over not meeting those standards, even though I truly feel they are completely over-the-top and/or inappropriate for family chidlcare.

During my Practicum's, my instructors came to my program to observe me. Their feedback was mostly positive. The "areas for improvement" were all things that are FCCER"s related or QRIS related. For example, I plated lunch, and washed everyone's hands, then sat the toddlers while the older children washed theirs. One of the older children was goofing around and didn't sit down right away. While I wrangled him (very kindly, I might add), the toddlers had to *gasp!* wait MORE THAN THREE MINUTES for their meal!

I was told that this would be a "ding" for the QRIS. I was not, however, given and SOLUTIONS by these "experts" on how to prevent such an atrocity from happening again.

Now, I'm nervous about the accreditation observation because of commentary like that. Of course, I KNOW I won't be perfect-but I feel like I have to be.
Accreditation is set up for the provider to succeed, but FCCERS-R, I feel, is set up for the provider to fail from all the unrealistic "dings".....Therefore the FCCERS-R becomes a game played and the assessor asks for a "typical day"...Is there a typical day in family child care?????? I am preparing for my 14th FCCERS-R assessment which is in 4 weeks and it makes me crazy because I am constantly counting my materials and preparing for the lunch issue "ding" you mentioned.....it is UNFAIR to me and the children in my care what the FCCERS-R takes out of me every year, then I have to wait up to 6 weeks to get my score back?????? There is NO logic, other than someone up high enjoying putting all these rediculous rules in place!!!!!

AND the reason you aren't given any solutions to the fix the "DING" is because there is no solution because kids are kids....I put 100% into my daycare and I feel I run a tight ship here, but I am NOT naive enough to believe that every day is perfectly scripted......
Heidi 11:14 AM 01-23-2015
Accreditation is set up for the provider to succeed, but FCCERS-R, I feel, is set up for the provider to fail from all the unrealistic "dings".....Therefore the FCCERS-R becomes a game played and the assessor asks for a "typical day"...Is there a typical day in family child care?????? I am preparing for my 14th FCCERS-R assessment which is in 4 weeks and it makes me crazy because I am constantly counting my materials and preparing for the lunch issue "ding" you mentioned.....it is UNFAIR to me and the children in my care what the FCCERS-R takes out of me every year, then I have to wait up to 6 weeks to get my score back?????? There is NO logic, other than someone up high enjoying putting all these rediculous rules in place!!!!!
So..if you pronounce FCCERS as a word (FICKERS), it means FICKERS spelled with a "U" in German. My sister and I often joke about that!
Annalee 11:18 AM 01-23-2015
So..if you pronounce FCCERS as a word (FICKERS), it means FICKERS spelled with a "U" in German. My sister and I often joke about that!
The FICKERS sure causes alot of CHAOS!!!!!
Heidi 11:31 AM 01-23-2015

AND the reason you aren't given any solutions to the fix the "DING" is because there is no solution because kids are kids....I put 100% into my daycare and I feel I run a tight ship here, but I am NOT naive enough to believe that every day is perfectly scripted......
I was going to PM you, but maybe my questions will be useful to others...

I don't have a mentor for the accreditation. I was city accredited years ago, but that's not an option where I live. WI regs are very similar to the standards, anyway, so a lot of the standards are easy for me.

One that isn't...checking on babies every 15 minutes when napping. I have one infant and 4 toddlers (currently). Infant takes 2 naps per day (he's 4 months old now), and toddlers and 2's take one. Infant sleeps in my sons room. I have an open concept living, dining, and kitchen, and a short hallway past the bathroom on one side, son's room on the other, and play room (9x12) at the end.

If I go to check on baby, the other's are either "unattended" if I close the door when I go in, or they follow me in. If they follow me in, making all sorts of toddler noises, they will wake him after a 15 minute nap.
He is a major crab puff as it is, so that is not something I want happening! At this particular time, I don't check on him. I didn't with my own children, and I think it's a bit ridiculous. Do people get up every 15 minutes at night to check on their baby? If they do, they're nuts.

Also..this may sound stupid, but I am having a major issue with him crabbing and crying while I make lunch EVERY DAY. It's the most shrill, high-pitched cry you've ever heard in your life. Sounds like he's having his arm ripped off or something (doc says nothing is wrong with him).

I have tried all sorts of things; feeding him first, changing his nap, adding a nap, offering other activities, adding a bottle right before I start lunch. The ONLY way he won't cry is if he's being carried around, which I fundamentally disagree with. If I was willing, I wouldn't be able. I don't own a carrier, he weighs 17 lbs now (and this is 6 weeks from now), and I have back issues (I'm also 50).

My other little friends do get quite agitated about this, and I what I've been doing is carrying him around while I can (stops crying), then setting him down when I need two hands (immediately goes into full-on scream), then putting him on my lap and give him a bottle with one hand while we eat our lunch, read our stories, and they brush their teeth and wash hands at the table.

It's a lot of drama and not at all a pleasant thing for any of us. The good news is, once it's all over and they've eaten, he sleeps the same 3 hours they all do every afternoon.

Any ideas on that one?
Annalee 11:43 AM 01-23-2015
I was going to PM you, but maybe my questions will be useful to others...

I don't have a mentor for the accreditation. I was city accredited years ago, but that's not an option where I live. WI regs are very similar to the standards, anyway, so a lot of the standards are easy for me.

One that isn't...checking on babies every 15 minutes when napping. I have one infant and 4 toddlers (currently). Infant takes 2 naps per day (he's 4 months old now), and toddlers and 2's take one. Infant sleeps in my sons room. I have an open concept living, dining, and kitchen, and a short hallway past the bathroom on one side, son's room on the other, and play room (9x12) at the end.

If I go to check on baby, the other's are either "unattended" if I close the door when I go in, or they follow me in. If they follow me in, making all sorts of toddler noises, they will wake him after a 15 minute nap.
He is a major crab puff as it is, so that is not something I want happening! At this particular time, I don't check on him. I didn't with my own children, and I think it's a bit ridiculous. Do people get up every 15 minutes at night to check on their baby? If they do, their nuts.

Also..this may sound stupid, but I am having a major issue with him crabbing and crying while I make lunch EVERY DAY. It's the most shrill, high-pitched cry you've ever heard in your life. Sounds like he's having his arm ripped off or something (doc says nothing is wrong with him).

I have tried all sorts of things; feeding him first, changing his nap, adding a nap, offering other activities, adding a bottle right before I start lunch. The ONLY was he won't cry is if he's being carried around, which I fundamentally disagree with. If I was willing, I wouldn't be able. I don't own a carrier, he weighs 17 lbs now (and this is 6 weeks from now), and I have back issues (I'm also 50).

My other little friends do get quite agitated about this, and I what I've been doing is carrying him around while I can (stops crying), then setting him down when I need two hands (immediately goes into full-on scream), then putting him on my lap and give him a bottle with one hand while we eat our lunch, read our stories, and they brush their teeth and wash hands at the table.

It's a lot of drama and not at all a pleasant thing for any of us. The good news is, once it's all over and they've eaten, he sleeps the same 3 hours they all do every afternoon.

Any ideas on that one?
Due to SIDS regulations, we have to check on infants every 15 minutes or be cited...In your case, I think providers are allotted a few moments to be within sight or sound for you to check/touch the infant....I mean, I think I could do that in very few seconds.....do it quickly without allowing your toddlers to even notice you were away! I think if is OK if a child whines as long as you are doing what you can to meet their needs.... REMEMBER, Accreditation wants you to SUCCEED...your observor will be an actual FCC provider so they will understand!!! Now if this was the FCCERS-R, you would be DOOMED!!!!!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!!!
Tags:accreditation, certification, education
Reply Up