Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Are you fingerprinted as a licensing requirement?
No, I am not required to be fingerprinted 6 14.29%
Yes, I am required to be fingerprinted 6 14.29%
Yes, all adults in the home are required to be fingerprinted 25 59.52%
Yes, everyone in the household must be fingerprinted 3 7.14%
Other (please explain) 2 4.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Fingerprinting
Blackcat31 10:22 AM 10-27-2017
How many of you are fingerprinted as a licensing requirement?

What state are you in?
What is the cost?
MyAngels 10:27 AM 10-27-2017
I'm in Illinois.

It's free.

I think it's anyone over 13 in the household, but it's been awhile since I had younger people in the house so that may have changed.

DCFS recently added a FBI background check to the mix as well.
hwichlaz 10:27 AM 10-27-2017
All adults, and kids just prior to becoming adults (think getting it done so that it's processed by their birthday) and the last time I had it done it was $50. The fee depends on who you have to it...but it includes FBI criminal background check and child abuse index check. The Sherriff's office charges more for the service than the school district does, but it's a difference of $5.
Josiegirl 10:27 AM 10-27-2017
New reg., we're supposed to get fingerprinted but they're starting with licensed centers first by sending them the required forms. So family daycares have not received anything as of yet and have no idea what the cost will be.
It was mentioned at a network meeting it should be about 25 bucks, if they got it right.
Vermont here.
Snowmom 10:30 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How many of you are fingerprinted as a licensing requirement?

What state are you in?
What is the cost?
There is a lot of uproar in my county association about that new requirement. What are your thoughts?
Kajada 10:34 AM 10-27-2017
Manitoba. Fingerprinting not required.
Blackcat31 10:41 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
There is a lot of uproar in my county association about that new requirement. What are your thoughts?
I don't know...
I don't have young kids in my household anymore so I can't say for sure how I feel about it.... I believe that is the biggest issue is that providers feel it's an invasion of privacy for their children 13yrs + and the fact that it's through the FBI.

I "think" I'd be okay with it if I had to have my kids' prints taken but I am feeling like the issue providers are having is the invasion of privacy in regards to children.

I kind of see both sides though.... it is an invasion of privacy but no one is forced to have child care in their homes either so I don't know....

I think it's just the beginning of the end.
daycarediva 10:46 AM 10-27-2017
All adults over 18 living in the household. Free. NY.

I think it's invasive, but I understand the reasoning behind it. There has to be a cut off at some point between what is invasive/not invasive. Eg. They can (and DO) inspect all areas of the home, not just those used for childcare. I've had them look in my closets before, open my personal fridge, ask to look in my garage, dh's shop, etc. NO privacy.

Then you see horror stories on the news and realize, it doesn't bother me because I have nothing to hide, but it still feels a bit like an enema.
Annalee 10:47 AM 10-27-2017
All in the household over 15 here.
Play Care 10:50 AM 10-27-2017
My kids would be required to be fingerprinted once they turn 18.
I am not renewing when my license is up so it won't be an issue.

I totally understand why they think this is a good idea for adults in the home, especially if they are often in the day care as helpers, subs, etc. But my own family is not involved in my business (or even on the premises during day care hours) so it would be an imposition. Not the reason I'm getting out, but a minor annoyance.
Cat Herder 10:54 AM 10-27-2017
All in household over 17, $51 each and done every 5 years. Federal.

I have *learned that I never had a right to privacy to begin with and the fact that I believe I ever had privacy, all all, was *cute.
midaycare 11:10 AM 10-27-2017
I can't remember the price...MI...all adults. They tried to have children too but couldn't get it passed.
storybookending 11:10 AM 10-27-2017
Yes. I’m in WI. I didn’t pay for it as it became mandated when I was at the center and you only have to do it once, not sure if it cost them anything. Not sure about others in household as I live alone.

ETA: a quick google search says I might be wrong about only doing it once. This isn’t what I was originally told. I’ll have to ask next time I have an unannounced.
hwichlaz 11:14 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
All in household over 17, $51 each and done every 5 years. Federal.

I have *learned that I never had a right to privacy to begin with and the fact that I believe I ever had privacy, all all, was *cute.

Why is it redone? Isn't it a permanent thing? any time someone on my list gets a conviction I get a notice of it...forever or until I remove them from my list or give up my license.
storybookending 11:21 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Yes. I’m in WI. I didn’t pay for it as it became mandated when I was at the center and you only have to do it once, not sure if it cost them anything. Not sure about others in household as I live alone.

ETA: a quick google search says I might be wrong about only doing it once. This isn’t what I was originally told. I’ll have to ask next time I have an unannounced.
Searched further and it is a one time thing. It costs $37.75 here. All adults over 18 in the household.
Cat Herder 11:22 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Why is it redone? Isn't it a permanent thing? any time someone on my list gets a conviction I get a notice of it...forever or until I remove them from my list or give up my license.
It does not say why. Maybe to keep them from having to subscribe to updates or pay for the scans?

"Must have a Satisfactory Fingerprint Records Check Determination on file, issued every 5 years."
DaveA 11:28 AM 10-27-2017
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I'm in Illinois.

It's free.

I think it's anyone over 13 in the household, but it's been awhile since I had younger people in the house so that may have changed.

DCFS recently added a FBI background check to the mix as well.
When DS turned 13 he had to have a background check but doesn’t have to be printed till 16 or 17. I forget which.

If I remember it right in IL fingerprinting starts at 13 for anyone who moves into your house or is there when you start up.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 10-27-2017
Here's the article that explains why providers are upset:
http://www.twincities.com/2017/10/27...ng-their-kids/
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 10-27-2017
"For kids, when you get your fingers printed and your mug shot, you’re a criminal," says one parent.

Ok.

I had all the daycare kids do the McGruff photo and fingerprint kits as part of our safety month many times. I gave the completed ID cards to their parents as gifts. https://www.mcgruff-safe-kids.com/sh...e-kids-id-kit/ The kids loved it. The police visit in the classroom and the kids think they hung the moon.

One of my favorite field trips as a kid was to the police station. We should not be teaching kids to fear the police. Even my dog has a photo ID card from the vet.
hwichlaz 12:03 PM 10-27-2017
It does not say why. Maybe to keep them from having to subscribe to updates or pay for the scans?

"Must have a Satisfactory Fingerprint Records Check Determination on file, issued every 5 years."
ok, ours are issued yearly, but we only pay and get scanned the first year
Claraskids 12:06 PM 10-27-2017
"For kids, when you get your fingers printed and your mug shot, you’re a criminal," says one parent.

Ok.

I had all the daycare kids do the McGruff photo and fingerprint kits as part of our safety month many times. I gave the completed ID cards to their parents as gifts. https://www.mcgruff-safe-kids.com/sh...e-kids-id-kit/ The kids loved it. The police visit in the classroom and the kids think they hung the moon.

One of my favorite field trips as a kid was to the police station. We should not be teaching kids to fear the police. Even my dog has a photo ID card from the vet.
However, those fingerprints and photos are not kept on file with the government. They are just given to the parents. I did it with one of my own kids years ago. The fingerprinting that MN wants to do would give the state our children' fingerprints to keep on file. That is what we are not ok with!

Yes, I do teach my children and dickids to see police as friends and a source of protection. Government/big brother - that's a whole other story
hwichlaz 12:11 PM 10-27-2017
Since I can be paid to care for anyone under 18, it doesn't make sense to require fingerprinting and background checks to people who COULD be the child being cared for. I'm licesned for 0-12 but there's a provision for kids who need care beyond those ages. I had one boy stay with me from age 10-14 because he had ADD and his impulse control made staying home alone after school inappropriate.
Mom2Two 12:15 PM 10-27-2017
Utah, not free, not every year, everyone in household over 18.

It's a fairly new requirement. It includes FBI check. It's scary to think what happened that led up to this requirement. Daycare is such a fine line between requirements and run us all out of business with the low pay/long hours/high stress we do.
Cat Herder 12:29 PM 10-27-2017
I was/am ok with my kids prints on file.

If they were a victim of crime they would be identified faster. If they committed a crime, they'd be off the streets quicker. If they were accused of a crime they did not commit, they'd be cleared quicker. They would be less inclined to take the risk of committing a crime because they know they are on file and will be found.

I really don't see the problem with it. Then again, I am the daughter of a LEO and all this is just the normal flow to me.
AmyKidsCo 12:37 PM 10-27-2017
In WI fingerprinting is only required if you participate in the QRS system. There's talk of requiring it for all licensees though.
e.j. 12:41 PM 10-27-2017
I'm in MA. Anyone 15 years or older who is regularly on the premises has to be fingerprinted. My licensor told me we have to go through the fingerprinting process each time we re-license which is every 3 years. When I asked why we have to continue to be fingerprinted each time we re-license, she said "they" don't keep the information from background checks on file permanently. It costs $35 per person.

I guess what really bugs me about this regulation, besides the cost and possible invasion of privacy issue, is that it doesn't really make the kids in our care any safer. It's just an additional hoop I have to jump through - and pay for - because a small percentage of providers lacked intelligence and good judgement, failing to protect the children in their care from people who should not have had access to them.

If I were trying to hide the fact that a pedophile or felon were visiting my home on a regular basis, all I would have to do is leave that person's name off the list of those who need to have background checks done. My licensor visits once, maybe twice a year. She doesn't know who comes and goes on a regular basis. I'll bet those providers who have something to hide don't think twice about leaving questionable visitors off the background check list. So...how much safer are the kids really?
MarinaVanessa 02:14 PM 10-27-2017
I'm in CA. Anyone living in the household and/or employed in the house over the age of 18 must be fingerprinted according to licensing. if I were to have a housekeeper who came during daycare hours and she was over 18 I would have to take the kids outside while she cleaned the downstairs.

It cost me about $45-$55 per adult to have it done depending on where it was done. The Sheriff's was the least expensive for me.

For us it's a one-time thing that we have to do when we first get licensed.
Our check goes through the Department of Justice and the CA Child Abuse Central Index
amberrose3dg 03:11 PM 10-27-2017
Wv free but all household members over 18 and employees.
MyAngels 03:30 PM 10-27-2017
I was/am ok with my kids prints on file.

If they were a victim of crime they would be identified faster. If they committed a crime, they'd be off the streets quicker. If they were accused of a crime they did not commit, they'd be cleared quicker. They would be less inclined to take the risk of committing a crime because they know they are on file and will be found.

I really don't see the problem with it. Then again, I am the daughter of a LEO and all this is just the normal flow to me.
I agree with this. But I'm also not the type who worries about the government overreaching either, so it stands to reason I would feel this way
Sunchimes 05:02 AM 10-28-2017
We are a small home daycare in Texas. They started requiring it in 2016, and I believe we will have to do it every 2 years. I think it costs $48 each, or in that neighborhood. The biggest problem is that there aren't enough locations doing it. You can't just run down to the sheriff's office. There was just one place, and it was 40 miles away. I'm trying to remember if we did it in Saturday or had to take off to do it during the week. I was very creeped out about the whole thing. If I had other options for working, I would have shut down. I worked for the sheriff's office for almost 2 decades and never had to be fingerprinted. This just felt intrusive.
Baby Beluga 10:09 AM 10-28-2017
I'm really surprised to learn fingerprinting wasn't a requirement in some states. I started working in a center in 2007 and and that time fingerprinting was a requirement for centers.

When I opened my own in home I renewed my prints with a level 1 fingerprint clearance card which is more restrictive and harder to get than a standard fingerprint clearance card (at least in AZ) Fwiw, I am legally license except.

I believe it was around $50 when it was done in 2014. I am unsure of the cost now. Fingerprints do need to be renewed, I think every 6 years? Unsure of that without looking.

One thing that I think is important for clients to understand is, just because you have the card stating you are fingerprinted does not mean you card is in good standing. It is possible for your card to be revoked and still have the card in your possession. I always tell parents to enter the card number into the AZdps website to ensure the card is in good standing.
284878 01:04 PM 10-28-2017
$60 per person, provider only.
hwichlaz 02:19 PM 10-28-2017
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
We are a small home daycare in Texas. They started requiring it in 2016, and I believe we will have to do it every 2 years. I think it costs $48 each, or in that neighborhood. The biggest problem is that there aren't enough locations doing it. You can't just run down to the sheriff's office. There was just one place, and it was 40 miles away. I'm trying to remember if we did it in Saturday or had to take off to do it during the week. I was very creeped out about the whole thing. If I had other options for working, I would have shut down. I worked for the sheriff's office for almost 2 decades and never had to be fingerprinted. This just felt intrusive.
That's not normal anywhere else, lol. My ex is LE and even his girlfriend (me) had to be fingerprinted when he was in backgrounds to get hired...I think 21 years ago now.
Unregistered 04:13 PM 10-28-2017
We have to be fingerprinted in Alabama but now they are stating that ALL daycares regardless of license or religion must be fingerprinted
LysesKids 04:17 PM 10-28-2017
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Wv free but all household members over 18 and employees.
Heck, they came to my home to do mine in 2000... WV has required it for a long time
Fiddlesticks 12:57 PM 10-29-2017
I won’t have my minor child fingerprinted nor sit for a mug shot. My husband and I are adults who make our own choices, I was fingerprinted for my teaching license, but there was no mug shot taken so what’s up with that? But our minor child has no choice—can’t move out, can’t say “no, Mom, quit your job” and I will quit first before we take away that choice. I come up for relicensing before they are rolling this out here, so I might have another year, but I will be done if they force this on us, I have been a provider for 25 years. I recently sat in a room full, 100+ providers, all with years of experience similar to mine, or longer, who have pledged the same, we will close first. If our state thinks they have a daycare shortage NOW, if they think daycare is expensive here NOW, just wait.
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 10-29-2017
Originally Posted by Fiddlesticks:
I won’t have my minor child fingerprinted nor sit for a mug shot. My husband and I are adults who make our own choices, I was fingerprinted for my teaching license, but there was no mug shot taken so what’s up with that? But our minor child has no choice—can’t move out, can’t say “no, Mom, quit your job” and I will quit first before we take away that choice. I come up for relicensing before they are rolling this out here, so I might have another year, but I will be done if they force this on us, I have been a provider for 25 years. I recently sat in a room full, 100+ providers, all with years of experience similar to mine, or longer, who have pledged the same, we will close first. If our state thinks they have a daycare shortage NOW, if they think daycare is expensive here NOW, just wait.
They want you and all the others to quit.

If you/everyone quits; they still win.

They’ll get exactly what they were shooting for in the first place.
LysesKids 01:13 PM 10-29-2017
You do understand why some states require minor children to get printed right?... they may have higher instances of child crime. They are protecting the children in your care; I don't like the idea of it either, but better safe than sorry. My own children were harmed by their peers on a bus of all places (cameras weren't working)- do you expect a parent to allow that type of child to be around ones you get paid to protect?
LysesKids 01:14 PM 10-29-2017

Exactly!!!
Fiddlesticks 01:29 PM 10-29-2017

Yes, I believe they have been working towards this for a long time. I also believe a simultaneous shuttering of 30% of available childcare spaces would take years to overcome.

As far as the fingerprinting keeping children safe, how so? They already do a background study, if my child were a known danger they’d have found it on that study as we have lived in this house all of my child’s life. Child abusers/molestors are rarely discovered until they have multiple victims. This is data collection disguised as a safety measure.
KSDC 08:17 AM 10-30-2017
Kansas

We aren't required right now, but it is coming in 2018.
Here is the info I have:

Who is required to have a comprehensive fingerprint-based background check?
 Each applicant, applicant with a temporary permit and licensee;
 each provider working in the home at least 16 years of age;
 each resident of home at least 18 years of age;
 each volunteer with unsupervised access to children; and
 any other individual at least 18 years of age present in the home whose activities involve
unsupervised access to children.

They are estimating the cost to be be between $48 -$60 per individual.
Miss A 08:30 AM 10-30-2017
In Iowa.

Everyone age 14 and above in the home must be fingerprinted at our county sheriffs office, cost is $5.00 per person.

If you are a legally license exempt home (operating with 5 or less children) this is not required. If you choose to be legally license exempt, but wish to accept CCA then you must be FP'ed, and follow other requirements for a registered child development home.

I was originally legally license exempt and accepted CCA, but when I had no families that needed CCA I dropped it. I am now legally license exempt, but keep files and have an emergency management plan like I maintain a license.
Annalee 09:11 AM 10-30-2017

And the changes are coming quickly with the "forcing to quit" being the primary goal!
MarinaVanessa 10:53 AM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by Annalee:
And the changes are coming quickly with the "forcing to quit" being the primary goal!
I'm not understanding what the states forcing to quit gain from doing so. Can someone enlighten me?

We have background checks but not "mug shots" and no one under 18 needs to get one here in my state so this is all new to me.
Annalee 11:00 AM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I'm not understanding what the states forcing to quit gain from doing so. Can someone enlighten me?

We have background checks but not "mug shots" and no one under 18 needs to get one here in my state so this is all new to me.
The fingerprinting alone is not why providers are quitting here but the combination of unrealistic rules/regualtions along with constant NEW expectations where providers are IMO set up to fail instead of succeed due to the overwhelming CRAZY guidelines. My state are awaiting new guidelines right now regarding education stipulations to be implemented 2018. These mandates are Federal so they have to be implemented...it is up to each state how they do this.....slowly or quickly. But it is MONEY and all states want the MONEY. I have rolled with change for 25 years, but I foresee another drop off in providers with these new rules. just my opinions but I feel strongly this is the path we are headed in my state!
LysesKids 11:45 AM 10-30-2017
The fingerprinting alone is not why providers are quitting here but the combination of unrealistic rules/regualtions along with constant NEW expectations where providers are IMO set up to fail instead of succeed due to the overwhelming CRAZY guidelines. My state are awaiting new guidelines right now regarding education stipulations to be implemented 2018. These mandates are Federal so they have to be implemented...it is up to each state how they do this.....slowly or quickly. But it is MONEY and all states want the MONEY. I have rolled with change for 25 years, but I foresee another drop off in providers with these new rules. just my opinions but I feel strongly this is the path we are headed in my state!
Yep... all the licensed providers in my county have now gone licensed exempt; the regulations TN has imposed & are about to implement are the reason.
Cat Herder 11:58 AM 10-30-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Yep... all the licensed providers in my county have now gone licensed exempt; the regulations TN has imposed & are about to implement are the reason.
We tried to do that, here, then they dropped the legal number to only 2 kids before having to be licensed. Rates would have to triple.

Proves *they really don't care about affordable childcare. They care about funneling federal funding to local schools under the guise of childcare affordability.

I don't disagree that the public schools need more sustainable funding, but this is not the way to do it.
Annalee 12:03 PM 10-30-2017
We tried to do that, here, then they dropped the legal number to only 2 kids before having to be licensed. Rates would have to triple.

Proves *they really don't care about affordable childcare. They care about funneling federal funding to local schools under the guise of childcare affordability.

I don't disagree that the public schools need more sustainable funding, but this is not the way to do it.
It is a spiral downhill from now on. I hope I make to my retirement age but beginning to doubt!
Blackcat31 12:22 PM 10-30-2017

I think my state wants all kids in FREE (to families) universal pre-K under the Dept of Ed verses family child care (under Human Services) and has been trying to head that way for years now. Of course Pre-K would encompass birth to Kindy age.

The state tried unionizing FCC child care (providers successfully fought it repeatedly) and they've tried to implement free Pre-K for 3-5 yr olds too... some districts got it and other's didn't.
Not enough funding or support for it.

If all FCC provider's quit (some due to unionization, some due to losing kids to FREE pre-k, some to not liking/wanting to do QRIS, some due to reg changes in accepting state assistance and some due to this new fingerprint rule) then the "shortage" we supposedly have going on will of course "force" free pre-k to happen.

After all, without FCC providers there will be no other option besides center based care or state offered Pre-K.
MarinaVanessa 12:57 PM 10-30-2017
I think my state wants all kids in FREE (to families) universal pre-K under the Dept of Ed verses family child care (under Human Services) and has been trying to head that way for years now. Of course Pre-K would encompass birth to Kindy age.

The state tried unionizing FCC child care (providers successfully fought it repeatedly) and they've tried to implement free Pre-K for 3-5 yr olds too... some districts got it and other's didn't.
Not enough funding or support for it.

If all FCC provider's quit (some due to unionization, some due to losing kids to FREE pre-k, some to not liking/wanting to do QRIS, some due to reg changes in accepting state assistance and some due to this new fingerprint rule) then the "shortage" we supposedly have going on will of course "force" free pre-k to happen.

After all, without FCC providers there will be no other option besides center based care or state offered Pre-K.
Gotcha. But if there isn't enough funding for free pre-k now how will the state pay for pre-k once FCC is pushed out? I mean I know that the gov't does a lot things backwards but they can't really think that it's going to work do they? Where is the money going to come from
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 10-30-2017
Gotcha. But if there isn't enough funding for free pre-k now how will the state pay for pre-k once FCC is pushed out? I mean I know that the gov't does a lot things backwards but they can't really think that it's going to work do they? Where is the money going to come from
if there is no FCC then all the state assistance $'s and the funding for training, licensing and grants/scholarships etc will need to be spent somewhere.

Not to mention the money the federal government gives to each school district for each student enrolled.
Fiddlesticks 04:35 PM 10-30-2017
I do believe the state wants the 3 and 4 year olds in school full time, but I believe even they have to know that the birth to 2 crowd is wholly incompatible with the school setting.

The reason our govenor wants pre-K in the schools is because every teacher in the public school system pays union dues whether they are in the union or not. Add pre-K to the school districts and you add another grade level, or two if you can get the 3s in, of teachers paying union dues state wide. Cha-Ching$$$!
tenderhearts 04:49 PM 10-30-2017
We are required to in Oregon if you are 18 and older. We have to do an extensive background check which was $30 or $35 per person,(I can't remember lol) and the fingerprinting is $10 for each person. Before when we did the background check it only cost $10 per person.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 10-31-2017
I do believe the state wants the 3 and 4 year olds in school full time, but I believe even they have to know that the birth to 2 crowd is wholly incompatible with the school setting.

The reason our govenor wants pre-K in the schools is because every teacher in the public school system pays union dues whether they are in the union or not. Add pre-K to the school districts and you add another grade level, or two if you can get the 3s in, of teachers paying union dues state wide. Cha-Ching$$$!
They are trying it here.
They want to build a new multimillion $ facility her to house birth to K for universal Pre-K. It's been discussed to the point of there is nothing left to discuss....the community has voted not but they just keep trying saying how badly we need this since there is a huge shortage of care. The papers and media in my community say 530 kids that have no where to go..... yet most the providers I know are actively advertising to fill spaces.

I also don't buy into the infant space shortage either.
I know many providers that have infant openings but parents want sporadic care, to pay only for the care they use and they want varying/odd scheduling options which no family child care provider can manage with the ratios the way they are. If the state truly wanted to help, they could re-arrange the ratios we have so that providers could enroll more kids under age 2.
Annalee 09:22 AM 10-31-2017
They are trying it here.
They want to build a new multimillion $ facility her to house birth to K for universal Pre-K. It's been discussed to the point of there is nothing left to discuss....the community has voted not but they just keep trying saying how badly we need this since there is a huge shortage of care. The papers and media in my community say 530 kids that have no where to go..... yet most the providers I know are actively advertising to fill spaces.

I know many providers that have infant openings but parents want sporadic care, to pay only for the care they use and they want varying/odd scheduling options which no family child care provider can manage with the ratios the way they are. If the state truly wanted to help, they could re-arrange the ratios we have so that providers could enroll more kids under age 2.
Agree with all of this! Providers in my state just had to report how many kids with ages along with kids and ages on our waiting list to licensing to show how the "under 2" children are dominating and the ratios do not allow for providers to enroll them. Not sure what 2018 holds for child care, particular FCC, in my state but I am hopeful but not holding my breath about the new rules/regulations. I am afraid the MONEY is talking more than anything and that will NOT be in the best interest of the children, nor the provider.
Play Care 09:22 AM 10-31-2017
. The papers and media in my community say 530 kids that have no where to go..... yet most the providers I know are actively advertising to fill spaces.

This is my biggest peeve. I had a situation where I would have had 3 under 2 for maybe a month and they refused to grant a waiver. The ages at the time were 18 months, 22 months and it would have been a 6 month old. There is a HUGE difference in maturity/ability between 12 months and even 16 months. At the time both toddlers were walking (well), talking, and on the same schedule as the other kids. There was no legitimate safety reason as to why I couldn't also take the 6 month old other than "it's the reg!" This left mom scrambling for care (as initially it was okayed but then the regs changed and it wasn't allowed anymore)
It would make more sense if they did it by developmental progress, rather than age IMO.
daycarediva 10:13 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Play Care:
This is my biggest peeve. I had a situation where I would have had 3 under 2 for maybe a month and they refused to grant a waiver. The ages at the time were 18 months, 22 months and it would have been a 6 month old. There is a HUGE difference in maturity/ability between 12 months and even 16 months. At the time both toddlers were walking (well), talking, and on the same schedule as the other kids. There was no legitimate safety reason as to why I couldn't also take the 6 month old other than "it's the reg!" This left mom scrambling for care (as initially it was okayed but then the regs changed and it wasn't allowed anymore)
It would make more sense if they did it by developmental progress, rather than age IMO.

YES! Good luck getting a waiver in NYS. Honestly, 0-12 months should be considered infants. Maybe making it 2 age 0-12, 2 age 12-24?

I agree with BC- they aren't trying to help parents, they're trying to create a birth-college center based care. Because $$$.
CityGarden 10:50 AM 10-31-2017
I'm in CA. Anyone living in the household and/or employed in the house over the age of 18 must be fingerprinted according to licensing. if I were to have a housekeeper who came during daycare hours and she was over 18 I would have to take the kids outside while she cleaned the downstairs.

It cost me about $45-$55 per adult to have it done depending on where it was done. The Sheriff's was the least expensive for me.

For us it's a one-time thing that we have to do when we first get licensed.
Our check goes through the Department of Justice and the CA Child Abuse Central Index
Ditto the above for me, since I am also in California. I used a mobile person to finger print which was slightly more maybe $60 but they came to my home while my dd was doing homework so it was worth the added funds. I would do it the same way for any future employees just to "see" it done myself...
Play Care 11:01 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
YES! Good luck getting a waiver in NYS. Honestly, 0-12 months should be considered infants. Maybe making it 2 age 0-12, 2 age 12-24?

I agree with BC- they aren't trying to help parents, they're trying to create a birth-college center based care. Because $$$.
Yup. And now with the new federal funding they have to do unannounced full inspections once a year. Those visits are tough enough when they are planned. But 2+ hours unannounced?! Who's watching the kids?! Did I mention that I am not renewing...
LysesKids 11:24 AM 10-31-2017
I just found updated regs for TN proposed for 2018... it includes a 5 panel drug test, and infants will change from up to 15 months to 0-12 months... I don't worry about the drug panel because Indiana regs required 10 panel & I did that in 2004-05 lol. I've been fingerprinted in many states - it's those that don't want to do printing I worry about. It's like getting a passport Nowen days... you get vetted thoroughly
Annalee 11:35 AM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I just found updated regs for TN proposed for 2018... it includes a 5 panel drug test, and infants will change from up to 15 months to 0-12 months... I don't worry about the drug panel because Indiana regs required 10 panel & I did that in 2004-05 lol. I've been fingerprinted in many states - it's those that don't want to do printing I worry about. It's like getting a passport Nowen days... you get vetted thoroughly
Along with those new rules are anyone left in charge of the daycare children must have a CDA (which would mean I could NEVER leave my facility, not sure what will happen to those in place now without CDA, possibly a time-frame to get it)....tripling the training hours and what they should be on, too many rules to even mention here that will have great impact....which will in turn change our QRIS report card which is already set up for no success. Hoping our voices have been heard and changes will be attainable. If not I look for a huge exodus of providers from center and FCC.
Annalee 11:56 AM 10-31-2017
Yup. And now with the new federal funding they have to do unannounced full inspections once a year. Those visits are tough enough when they are planned. But 2+ hours unannounced?! Who's watching the kids?! Did I mention that I am not renewing...
We get 4-6 unannounced inspections each year. I get four because I am the highest stars. One visit each year is announced to check our paperwork annually. I would LOVE only one unannounced each year. This is just for licensing. QRIS does their annual assessment each year before we can obtain our license for the year giving us a report card....
Play Care 12:49 PM 10-31-2017
We get 4-6 unannounced inspections each year. I get four because I am the highest stars. One visit each year is announced to check our paperwork annually. I would LOVE only one unannounced each year. This is just for licensing. QRIS does their annual assessment each year before we can obtain our license for the year giving us a report card....
Oh, we already get unannounced inspections each quarter (so 4 a year). But that announced one you get? That's the one that will no longer be announced here. So we will still get the unannounced pop ins, and the full inspection will also be unannounced... the one where they are constantly asking for this or that paperwork and files and going over the house from top to bottom. Sigh.
Mom2Two 12:55 PM 10-31-2017
They are trying it here.
If the federal govt decides to throw money at the states for doing it, I'm guessing that most states will bite.

All it would take is the next democratic president/congress combo to start something like that and pose as social-program heroes.

But it would be an awful thing. I already feel against how much children are treated as objects of the economy by political policy, rather than as whole individuals. I keep wondering if politicians think that if we drum those academics into them earlier, maybe our economy will edge forward and pay everyone's social security and the politicians will avoid the burn of spending too much.

I'm starting to wonder what I/we can do to help prevent this from happening. Ideas?
LysesKids 01:03 PM 10-31-2017
Along with those new rules are anyone left in charge of the daycare children must have a CDA (which would mean I could NEVER leave my facility, not sure what will happen to those in place now without CDA, possibly a time-frame to get it)....tripling the training hours and what they should be on, too many rules to even mention here that will have great impact....which will in turn change our QRIS report card which is already set up for no success. Hoping our voices have been heard and changes will be attainable. If not I look for a huge exodus of providers from center and FCC.
And you want to know why the only licensed homes here in Blount Co just dropped their licenses & went licensed exempt... hate to say it, but I love my four at anytime if it means not dealing with the extra garbage. I have 2 degrees but one isn't a CDA which sucks
Blackcat31 01:05 PM 10-31-2017
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
If the federal govt decides to throw money at the states for doing it, I'm guessing that most states will bite.

All it would take is the next democratic president/congress combo to start something like that and pose as social-program heroes.

But it would be an awful thing. I already feel against how much children are treated as objects of the economy by political policy, rather than as whole individuals. I keep wondering if politicians think that if we drum those academics into them earlier, maybe our economy will edge forward and pay everyone's social security and the politicians will avoid the burn of spending too much.

I'm starting to wonder what I/we can do to help prevent this from happening. Ideas?
Parents just hear FREE and stop listening.

We see enough "special" requests in family child care to know and understand that every parent wants something different for their child and that there is nothing in this world that is free that comes without a cost.

So while "free" might not effect their wallets, it will certainly effect their rights to choose what they feel is best for their child. But sadly, most people can't see past FREE to realize what's happening before it happens.
Mom2Two 01:14 PM 10-31-2017
I know what you mean about FREE. I could have died recently when my sister (nurse in Australia) who was a little ticked with me, decided to post about how some poor people in the U. S. can't afford cancer treatment, whereas it's FREE in Australia.

I restrained myself from pointing out that health care does actually cost money there too. And that she might not be as clued-in to health care here as she thinks.
Annalee 03:35 PM 10-31-2017
Oh, we already get unannounced inspections each quarter (so 4 a year). But that announced one you get? That's the one that will no longer be announced here. So we will still get the unannounced pop ins, and the full inspection will also be unannounced... the one where they are constantly asking for this or that paperwork and files and going over the house from top to bottom. Sigh.
It is going to get worse before it gets better I am afraid.
Annalee 03:43 PM 10-31-2017

I don't know if there is even any "logic" when it comes to rationalizing this situation when it comes to lawmakers/legislators. I think it has become bigger than anyone wants to tackle from wayyyyyy up top Federally and is bigger than the powers that be in the "states" can deal with. It is from lobbyist on a federal level...in the name of "education for our children". "Free" is the key word to the public. "Education" always sounds good to those who do not "teach or work in early childhood"....Teachers and early childhood educators have the most "insight" in these issues and we speak LOUDLY but NO ONE LISTENS!
Play Care 03:07 AM 11-01-2017
It is going to get worse before it gets better I am afraid.
Yup. Which is a big part of the reason I am not renewing my license when it's up next year. I'm not even sure I will work out the last half of the license.
Cat Herder 05:18 AM 11-01-2017
The new push here seems to be in funding these home visitor programs, to keep the B - 3 subsidy kids at home with a parent while the state directly gives them the resources and training they would be otherwise be *giving us.

Maybe they did the math and it came out cheaper when you add all the programs each family is eligible for. I have just started to research it.

Are you seeing this yet?
Annalee 05:33 AM 11-01-2017
The new push here seems to be in funding these home visitor programs, to keep the B - 3 subsidy kids at home with a parent while the state directly gives them the resources and training they would be otherwise be *giving us.

Maybe they did the math and it came out cheaper when you add all the programs each family is eligible for. I have just started to research it.

Are you seeing this yet?
I haven't seen this here yet but I like the idea of the subsidy parents that do not work keeping their own kids. Head starts here are full of parents that do not work but get free daycare. I do not participate in the subsidy program here because the program doesn't support my efforts to support my own family. They feel I should not charge subsidy clients for days the state does not pay me for...very unfair in my opinion. But isn't it funny that parents need training to do something "nature" should teach them.
Cat Herder 05:41 AM 11-01-2017
I haven't seen this here yet but I like the idea of the subsidy parents that do not work keeping their own kids. Head starts here are full of parents that do not work but get free daycare. I do not participate in the subsidy program here because the program doesn't support my efforts to support my own family. They feel I should not charge subsidy clients for days the state does not pay me for...very unfair in my opinion. But isn't it funny that parents need training to do something "nature" should teach them.

I stopped taking subsidy due to poor parent behaviors. It created more problems than it solved. A semblance of the bird feeder parable.

http://www.birthtothree.org/programs/
This program used to be about kids not meeting milestones but has now acknowledged that income and parent involvement are also a factors in kids development (among many other things).
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 11-01-2017
I stopped taking subsidy due to poor parent behaviors. It created more problems than it solved. A semblance of the bird feeder parable.

http://www.birthtothree.org/programs/
This program used to be about kids not meeting milestones but has now acknowledged that income and parent involvement are also a factors in kids development (among many other things).
They've revamped our subsidy program.
Now it's easier for parents.

Instead of having to re-certify and prove income every 6 months, they are now only required to do so every 12 months.

It used to be that if you had another child and were out on maternity leave, the assistance program would not pay for your older children to be in care but now the assistance program will cover costs of older siblings in care while parent is home. This includes medical situations and periods of lay-offs. (In other words, the parent is never "forced" to care for their child while the parent is home)

Payments from the assistance program will now continue for up to 3 months after eligibility stops. Covering this gap period helps a family maintain their financial growth.

Providers are now required to take additional training courses otherwise not required if no families in care are using assistance.

So yes, there are definitely changes in our state assistance program, the changes are geared towards making sure the parent is minimally involved in the care of THEIR child.
Country Kids 12:37 PM 11-03-2017
We have to pay for the background check and the fingerprinting-wasn't cheap from what I remember.

We have to go to the UPS store to have it done-only place in our town that does it.

Everyone in our household or regular visitors over the age of 18.
Mom2Two 02:19 PM 11-03-2017
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

Everyone in our household or regular visitors over the age of 18.
I wish ours was just regular visitors! I was told that my mother would need to get FBI clearance or I couldn't leave the children on the same level as her when she's visiting.

I can't even imagine how to go about getting an FBI clearance for her when she's in Australia. People don't always plan trips months in advance. And they have to go through a lot to get a passport/visa.

We have a multi-level house, and I do diapers upstairs and naps.

But I swear I never left my mother on the same level as the children. I swear it. And anyone who says otherwise is lying. I swear.
Tags:background checks, birth to 3, fingerprinting, livescan, zero to three
Reply Up