Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eek! A Male!
Crystal 12:44 PM 01-21-2011
There have been a few conversations on the forum lately about men in child care. I thought this article was worth sharing:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Lenore+Skenazy
Crystal 12:47 PM 01-21-2011
And this is a nice resource for providers whose husbands/boyfriends, etc. participate in the care of the children:

A working group of the World Forum Foundation, Working Group on Men in Early Childhood Education, provides a global meeting place for male and female early childhood professionals to reflect on the value of gender balance in early childhood education and the benefits and barriers to men's full participation, and to identify actions to promote these important issues worldwide.

http://www.worldforumfoundation.org/wf/men/index.php

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blackcat31 01:01 PM 01-21-2011
Thanks for sharing that info Crystal. I feel it is just as important to erase the nagativity and biases in regards to men in child care and the early childhood fields as it is to fight for women's rights and equality. I will be sharing this with a class I am in now where there are two men seeking degree's in Early Childhood Education.
marniewon 03:06 PM 01-21-2011
What a great article! I hope anyone who reads it will open their minds just a little bit and see how our society as a whole are paranoid! I do admit to a bit of paranoia myself at times, and have to remind myself that a few jerks do not amount to the whole of the male race. Thanks for posting this article
QualiTcare 11:02 AM 01-22-2011
the article pretty much confirms society as a whole is skeptical of men caring for children. just ask "lvt" whose parents didn't want their children staying with her qualified husband. whether it's equal or not, it's reality.

must be nice to get a job at a daycare and be relieved of all diapering duties. talk about equality.
Tags:male assistant, men, men in daycare
Reply Up