Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Redirection Help Needed
kitkat 11:38 AM 10-23-2009
I have a 19 month old who is really into taking toys from my DD who is 13 months old. As soon as she sees DD has a toy, she goes to take it. I know that's part of the age, but it's getting really bad. I try to redirect and give her other toys, but she goes right back to get the toy. Mom has similar issues at home with her with trying to take toys from older sister. She's also into pushing DD down when she is trying to get up. As soon as DD starts to move DCG is right there trying to push her back down. The other day it was getting so bad that I even thought about putting her in the pack and play just to get a little peace for everyone's sake! She usually ends up in her booster at the table while I'm getting lunch prepared because other wise I can't get lunch ready.

I need some ideas on how to get through this fun stage!
tymaboy 12:05 PM 10-23-2009
I have a 20 month old that is getting really bad at taking toys also. So far putting him in timeout works. I make him stand facing a wall. I go by the 1 minute per age to start off with but it starts after they stop crying (again I find that this works best) If he needs to go in timeout again for the same reason I make him stay a little longer then the last time. I also make him walk to timeout, I will not carry them. They learn pretty quick that the sooner they get to time out & face the wall quietly the sooner they get out. I admit this may not work with all children - I had a few where they spent most of their time in timeout before I just put them to bed.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:40 PM 10-23-2009
My youngest girl was like that around that age..she has been so tough with behavior issues. I used the playpen as a time out place, not for long..they don't need it for long because they just need to learn there is a consequense for the negative behavior..I also used the 1 min. per age rule. It is exhausting because I was consistant and tried not to let any hitting, pushing, taking toys away slide...if she went back at it after her time out..back she goes. I tried redirecting all the time, sometimes it worked, other times not so much.

I would also use a stern voice so the child knows it is not ok...not yelling but just a firm voice so she knows it is not acceptable. And lots of praise for when she is good because they LOVE that. Even if they are difficult, it's very important to catch the good and not always the bad.
cuddlebuggz 07:49 PM 10-25-2009
Originally Posted by tymaboy:
I have a 20 month old that is getting really bad at taking toys also. So far putting him in timeout works. I make him stand facing a wall. I go by the 1 minute per age to start off with but it starts after they stop crying (again I find that this works best) If he needs to go in timeout again for the same reason I make him stay a little longer then the last time. I also make him walk to timeout, I will not carry them. They learn pretty quick that the sooner they get to time out & face the wall quietly the sooner they get out. I admit this may not work with all children - I had a few where they spent most of their time in timeout before I just put them to bed.
PER DHS we are not allowed to face a child towards a wall, (standing in corner) it is unethical and against the LAW..in Iowa anyway. It is humiliating and a form of abuse...not saying you are worng just saying that is in our licensing book and is a big NO NO.
Unregistered 06:32 AM 10-26-2009
Originally Posted by cuddlebuggz:
PER DHS we are not allowed to face a child towards a wall, (standing in corner) it is unethical and against the LAW..in Iowa anyway. It is humiliating and a form of abuse...not saying you are worng just saying that is in our licensing book and is a big NO NO.

DITTO for us, too
Tags:steal toys, take toys, timeout stealing, toys
Reply Up