Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>rBGH hormone
lil angels 10:13 AM 03-13-2012
Just wondering how many of you serve milk that is free of this chemicals? I have been doing to much reading on this crap and it kind of scares me a bit. But I know I can't afford to buy all organic. What are some of you ideas on reducing all of this stuff that all these company's are putting into our foods?
themoorethemerrier 11:39 AM 03-13-2012
We're working on moving to all organic, but dairy has been one that we are having a hard time with because we live out in the sticks and our local stores carry mostly just quart sized organic milk that's about $3. I'd have to drive nearly an hour every week to get to our nearest Wegman's, BJ's or health store. I have the same problem with fresh fruits and vegetables.

Already for just the food program we go through 2 gallons a week. For now we just buy milk and products from a local farmer-owned company that uses no rBGH. Actually, alot of companies avoid rBGH - the disclaimer that Monsanto fought to be put on the labels is easier to find than the promise to not use the hormone.
littlemommy 12:07 PM 03-13-2012
I buy milk from a local farmer that does not use rBGH. Butter and cheese are not labeled whether they have it or not. I'm hoping that since most milk doesn't have it, that cheese and butter won't either?

Seems like most milk companies are making the switch not to use this damaging hormone. Good thing!
SunshineMama 12:43 PM 03-13-2012
Originally Posted by lil angels:
Just wondering how many of you serve milk that is free of this chemicals? I have been doing to much reading on this crap and it kind of scares me a bit. But I know I can't afford to buy all organic. What are some of you ideas on reducing all of this stuff that all these company's are putting into our foods?
I THINK that all milk that Wal-mart sells is free of the rBGH- can you purchase it there? It will be cheaper than the grocery store.

I am not too sure of milk anyway- I don't serve it to my own kids, and I think all of the "health" hype about it is really about good lobbyists in the milk industry, whispering sweet nothings to the FDA to push their product. (Ok, off topic- sorry).
lil angels 01:13 PM 03-13-2012
I was just reading that last night. Although I hate Walmart and everything sit stands for another thread. I may have to do it I thought I heard someone say Taget was like that to.
Oneluckymom 01:24 PM 03-13-2012
Most milk in stores now is free of rGBH. It will say on the label that it is free of the hormone.

Wal-mart, costco, and sams club are all free of it. But most dairy farmers have stopped using it. It most markets you can find at least one company on the shelf that is free of the hormone.
Tags:milk, milk - rgbh
Reply Up