Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Lunch Prep Time Screamer
Unregistered 12:33 PM 10-03-2012
Registered User, logged out

I have a 10 month old that has been in my care for 9 months. This child has always been short tempered, and a little bit of a screamer. After she started crawling, the screaming went away except for lunch prep time.

This child weighs over 30 lbs, is way overfed at home, and constantly eating at home. It's been this way since I started care. As soon as I start prepping/cooking for lunch, this DCK starts screaming and doesn't stop until I serve lunch (around 30 minutes). If we're running late to start lunch routine, this child is fine. The screaming only starts when I approach counter and start cooking.

I've tried everything, from moving breakfast/lunch times around, sitting child in high chair with toys, giving a small morning snack, and shortening the time this child has to wait to eat to 15 minutes (when possible). That only means they get done earlier, then screams for more food while everyone else is eating (even though they have eaten slightly more than USDA recommends) Nothing has changed the length or intensity this child screams. I started using gates to keep this child out of the kitchen because all they would do was to stand and pull on me, while screaming. Now all they do is stand and scream at the gate.

I haven't mentioned this to parents, because they will suggest feeding snack while I prep. I REFUSE to overfeed this child.

HELP!
daycarediva 01:53 PM 10-03-2012
Maybe give her play food and pots and allow her to cook near you? I really have no idea other than she needs to understand the concept of delay and it sounds like she gets instant gratification at home.
cheerfuldom 03:01 PM 10-03-2012
Is there a safe place where she can go that she cant see food prep happening? A PNP with toys, an exersaucer out of view of the counter, a highchair facing away?
youretooloud 04:56 PM 10-03-2012
Every year I have at least one kid who does this. Mom or Dad says "Well, just hand him bites as you are cooking, that's all he wants".

LOL. Um... no.
Meyou 02:49 AM 10-04-2012
The two things that has worked for me are a gate that they can't see over so they don't know I'm in the kitchen (out of sight, out of mind) or playing with magnets on the fridge while I cook. The magnets work wonders for some reason. I just chat and direct them back to the fridge while I cook.

If at all possible I try and get them engaged in something before I cook but if I have one that isn't happy I would rather do the magnets than make everyone miserable for 1/2 hour.
itlw8 08:52 AM 10-04-2012
prepare EVERYTHING you can ahead of time. Then if it is a casserole it takes 1 min to put it in the oven. hamburgers ? fry the night before and heat in the microwave .

30 minute lunch prep is a long time . Find a way to cut it WAY back.

My actual time in the kitchen is less than 5 minutes anf usually not all together. The cooking may take longer but that hapens without mee watching.
Reply Up