Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Is With These Parents Infants Sleeping On Stomach
slpender 05:35 AM 03-14-2013
Just started a new infant she is 12 weeks old and parents put her to sleep on her stomach. Sorry not going to happen here so now little one is crying in her crib because I put her on her back. I know she is tired because she was nodding off on her bouncy seat. This is the 3rd infant I have had enroll since Nov. and all but on the parent sleep them on there tummies.
blandino 05:46 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
Just started a new infant she is 12 weeks old and parents put her to sleep on her stomach. Sorry not going to happen here so now little one is crying in her crib because I put her on her back. I know she is tired because she was nodding off on her bouncy seat. This is the 3rd infant I have had enroll since Nov. and all but on the parent sleep them on there tummies.
We have had maybe 3/4 babies enrolled whose parents do that. Do they may use a halo monitor ( or a similar device) at home. I would tell them that baby is having lots of trouble sleeping on her back, since she is used to sleepin on her tummy. If they use something like a halo monitor, you could request that they bring it to you - as well as a dr. note. I would let it be known that the baby isnt sleeping well because of then allowing her to do something you cannot do, and that without either bringing the monitor & note - or adjusting the way they sleep her at home - she is going to continue to sleep poorly.

Honestly, most of our kids would sleep better on their tummy if we allowed them to. A lot of the time we set up tummy time on the bobby and that gets then to fall asleep pretty quickly. And then they get turned over and put in bed.
Luna 05:49 AM 03-14-2013
When my own children were babies the rule was to sleep them on their bellies. I didn't start doing daycare until my own were adults so the sleeping on the back rule was new to me.
I said all of that to say this: maybe the rule has changed back and we haven't got the memo yet?
JK, maybe these parents were taught this by their parents who are from my generation.
slpender 05:51 AM 03-14-2013
I told the parents that i cannot put her on her tummy and it is in my hand book she will adjust I am just surprised by the number of parents that put these little ones on their tummy to sleep.

My daughter was a back sleeper all the way and she was a great sleeper as a baby at 2.5 she still usually sleeps on her back.
just_peachy 05:54 AM 03-14-2013
I'll keep my personal opinion out of this one but they went over here at orientation that putting a baby to sleep on their back is mandatory. I'd just fall back on the "it's the law" explanation.

Also, how do the babies like being swaddled? That would help keep them on their backs, and should help them sleep as well. I love me a cozy little swaddle baby.
itlw8 06:00 AM 03-14-2013
my current little one rolled over well before 3 months I laid her on her back and she filpped and fell right to sleep on her tummy. I had to stop swaddling because I was afraid she could not get back o her back.
almost 8 months and now she is standing in the crib.... I still lay her on her back even though I know she will not sleep until she is on her tummy.
Willow 06:14 AM 03-14-2013
Being licensed here you can't put an infant to sleep on their stomach without a sleep directive outlining the medical necessity for it. Must be filled out and signed by a doctor.

Swaddling is completely forbidden. If licensing would come in a provider would be written up for a violation for that at the very least.

On their backs, nothing in the bed around them or not directly attached to their bodies (sleep sacks are ok). Licensing here says once they roll you can leave them, but you still have to put them down on their backs every time you lay them down up until they hit 12 months of age.

I've never had a parent yet who wasn't aware this is best and doesn't practice "back to sleep." It's a huge push at the doctors office during prenatal visits, at the hospital after deliver, and then in the pediatricians office. My only trouble has come from parents insisting a two month old needs a giant stuffed animal lovie to snuggle up to to get to sleep

You just bite the bullet. Infants acclimate incredibly quickly as long as you're consistent.
Play Care 06:18 AM 03-14-2013
Friends of ours would put their son to sleep on his tummy as it was the only way he would sleep. Fine at home, but not allowed in child care.

That said, I don't know if I could live with myself as a parent if I was tummy sleeping my child and they died in their sleep because of it. I read an article a couple of years ago on the rise in parents tummy sleeping (because babies do generally sleep better/longer on tummies) and the dangers. One mother claimed her pediatrician had said it was fine if it were the only way the baby would sleep and when the baby died she was upset because she wished he would have told her not to do it.

Even with a moniter I would be nervous about it - machines slip off, get umplugged, etc.
mamac 06:54 AM 03-14-2013
I will be the one to admit that I was one of "those" parents. Both my children were belly sleepers. Up until they were about 6 weeks, they were swaddled and on their backs and slept fine. After 6 weeks, they fought being swaddled and would scream constantly for an hour or more. As soon as I flipped them over, they would calm down and fall right asleep. Believe me, I wanted to follow the new rules (I say new because I was raised as a belly sleeper) but it was just so stressful on my kids. Their pediatrician would ask if they slept on their backs and I would tell him "no". I would jokingly tell him that's the way they were used to sleeping because I slept on my stomach during my entire pregnancy. (which I really did) He would raise an eyebrow at me, but would tell me that my kids were healthy and were doing just fine. To this day, (3 & 5) they are still belly sleepers who completely cover their heads with their blankets while they sleep.

I know I may not be technically "right" in what I did, but I did what I thought was best for MY children. I have my own opinions on back/belly sleeping and the risk of SIDS, just as many parents have their own opinions on vaccinating their children and the risk of autism. There is no conclusive evidence on the cause of either of these, so the chances of the "rules" being changed are very real possibility in the future. As a provider, all you can do is follow the rules that have been given to you, and try not to judge what a parent does with their children unless it is proven to be detrimental to their health.

FWIW, I would NEVER put a dcb on their belly to sleep without written permission from their pediatrician.

I hope this didn't sound argumentative. I'm just sharing my opinion.

Edited to add: I just read the pp. I will say that I did think about the possibility of SIDS often but I still did what I thought was best for my kids. If anything terrible ever happened to any of our children , of course we would be devastated, but we would probably always end up playing the "what if" scenario. What if I had kept him home that day? What if I had left the house two minutes later? Why did I let him go down the slide by himself? Some things are just going to happen no matter what we do.

And again... I hope this didn't sound argumentative. I'm just sharing my opinion.
AnneCordelia 07:28 AM 03-14-2013
I totally parent my own kids in a way that I couldn't have my daycare kids parented. Lol. I let my own infants sleep on their tummies. I weighed the benefits and the actual risk and decided in favour of tummy. But I couldn't accept that liability with a dck.
Blackcat31 08:20 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Being licensed here you can't put an infant to sleep on their stomach without a sleep directive outlining the medical necessity for it. Must be filled out and signed by a doctor.
Do you by any chance have any paperwork/web-sites stating the Sleep Directive needs to be signed by a doctor or that it is only for medical situations?

I have a parent that wants to sign the Sleep Directive and inquired through our licensing department as to what she needs to do to have this done and this is the information they gave her. It doesn't say anything about requiring a doctor's signature/permission and doesn't require anything (i.e. medical reasons) other than it is the parent's wishes.

https://edocs.dhs.state.mn.us/lfserv...y/DHS-5876-ENG
Heidi 08:51 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I will be the one to admit that I was one of "those" parents. Both my children were belly sleepers. Up until they were about 6 weeks, they were swaddled and on their backs and slept fine. After 6 weeks, they fought being swaddled and would scream constantly for an hour or more. As soon as I flipped them over, they would calm down and fall right asleep. Believe me, I wanted to follow the new rules (I say new because I was raised as a belly sleeper) but it was just so stressful on my kids. Their pediatrician would ask if they slept on their backs and I would tell him "no". I would jokingly tell him that's the way they were used to sleeping because I slept on my stomach during my entire pregnancy. (which I really did) He would raise an eyebrow at me, but would tell me that my kids were healthy and were doing just fine. To this day, (3 & 5) they are still belly sleepers who completely cover their heads with their blankets while they sleep.

I know I may not be technically "right" in what I did, but I did what I thought was best for MY children. I have my own opinions on back/belly sleeping and the risk of SIDS, just as many parents have their own opinions on vaccinating their children and the risk of autism. There is no conclusive evidence on the cause of either of these, so the chances of the "rules" being changed are very real possibility in the future. As a provider, all you can do is follow the rules that have been given to you, and try not to judge what a parent does with their children unless it is proven to be detrimental to their health.

FWIW, I would NEVER put a dcb on their belly to sleep without written permission from their pediatrician.

Edited to add: I just read the pp. I will say that I did think about the possibility of SIDS often but I still did what I thought was best for my kids. If anything terrible ever happened to any of our children , of course we would be devastated, but we would probably always end up playing the "what if" scenario. What if I had kept him home that day? What if I had left the house two minutes later? Why did I let him go down the slide by himself? Some things are just going to happen no matter what we do.

And again... I hope this didn't sound argumentative. I'm just sharing my opinion.
Ditto all this. My oldest is 23 now, and we were told to put him on his stomache because he had neonatal siezures, and they felt he would be less likely to aspirate on his stomach. We also had a baby heartrate monitor for several months. Baby #2, they were just starting to talk about back-sleeping. I tried, but when he fussed I flipped him and he was happy. Baby #3, the back-to-sleep campaign was really started, and I really tried. But, after I brought her home (all 9.3 lbs of her), I listened to her eh-eh-eh in the basinett next to me for a good part of the night, and at 3 am, I finally drowsily got up and flipped her on her tummy. Bingo...we all went to sleep. Baby #4 is, and I didn't even try back-to-sleep due to previous experiences, although I had some guilt. He's 12 now.

All my dck's sleep on their backs just like the rules say...until they can flip themselves, and then they ALL do...wierd, eh?

In WI, we are allowed to swaddle, so that helps!

As far as the research...it's purely statistical, but it is a scarey statistic when there is a 30% reduction in "crib death" for back-sleepers. That is a big ole' number, man!
mema 08:55 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do you by any chance have any paperwork/web-sites stating the Sleep Directive needs to be signed by a doctor or that it is only for medical situations?

I have a parent that wants to sign the Sleep Directive and inquired through our licensing department as to what she needs to do to have this done and this is the information they gave her. It doesn't say anything about requiring a doctor's signature/permission and doesn't require anything (i.e. medical reasons) other than it is the parent's wishes.

I was told by our licensors that a parent can sign it right now. It use to have to be by a doctor and then they changed it. I think that is one of the things that is trying to either get a bill or get the bill passed is to have it be doctor only, not the parent. Came about in that whole sleep study deal.

I had a parent ask to sign one. I said they could, but I will not take the baby then. Not sure if it is discrimination or not, but I don't care if the parent says it's ok. She changed her mind when I said no and told her he was about to roll over anyway and then could make his own choice.
Blackcat31 08:58 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
I was told by our licensors that a parent can sign it right now. It use to have to be by a doctor and then they changed it. I think that is one of the things that is trying to either get a bill or get the bill passed is to have it be doctor only, not the parent. Came about in that whole sleep study deal.

I had a parent ask to sign one. I said they could, but I will not take the baby then. Not sure if it is discrimination or not, but I don't care if the parent says it's ok. She changed her mind when I said no and told her he was about to roll over anyway and then could make his own choice.
That's where I am at too...if the parent wants to have their baby sleep on their tummy just because, I don't want to take the baby....even though the paper says it releases us from any liability, I just don't want to go there.

I know it is their choice but I feel it is MY choice to be able to protect myself and my business.
allsmiles 09:05 AM 03-14-2013
when i had my oldest.. tummy was the rule as well.. it was not allowed to sleep on backs because of choking, or something i dont even remember..
with my second child the rule had changed all of a sudden BUT i still allowed her to sleep on her tummy because that is what i was used to and it was easier and thanks to GOD..i had no issues

now that i have daycare, i follow the rules which here it is they have to sleep on their backs UNTIL they can turn over.. THANKFULLY i have never had any kids yet that young and i just might not take them because i dont get in trouble LOL..
i had a newborn for one week and i tried the swaddling which worked for a few minutes but then he would cry..
i want to follow rules but if babies sleep on tummy or car seat at home, im sorry, i dont have the time or energy to reform them.
Willow 09:11 AM 03-14-2013

I don't, that's just always what I've been told!

I have the form and explain to parents of infants that if they want to enroll there needs to be a medical reason and the form filled out by the child's doctor.

I don't do just mere personal preference in this department.

If a child dies a SIDS death in my care I don't want parents saying they didn't know any better, the liability that goes along with that or me sitting here thinking I shouldn't have been wishy washy on the policy just because the parents had a tough time with a child crying for a minute at home.
slpender 09:14 AM 03-14-2013

I have talk with my child care licensing office and I am required to have a doctors written orders for a child to sleep on their stomach (any child under 12 mnths it is ok if they roll over onto their backs on their own) stating the medical condition.

There is no medical issue with this child I have talked to the parents about this and I really don't think the doctor will write anything. I use the same doctor for my own child and they are big into babies sleeping on their backs at this practice.
laundrymom 09:18 AM 03-14-2013
I simply tell them that HERE they are on their backs. If they argue, I show them a pic of my cousins daughter Marie. And tell them SHE is the reason for my diligence. She died from SIDS, while sleeping in the crib beside her twin sister.
Play Care 09:40 AM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:

I hope you didn't think my post came across as judgemental, because that wasn't my intention at all! I DO think parents should do what they feel is best for their children - BUT if you are going to be sending your child into a day care situation, I do think there is responsiblity on the parent's part to make the transition as easy as possible for the baby - and this includes trying to find ways for them to sleep on their back. That said, I strongly feel that all children should spend the first year of their lives at HOME with mom or dad so in my perfect world, this would be a non dc issue
I mentioned the article because as a child care provider I have come across parents that seem to think that if the doctor is okaying it, then it must be safe. As a provider we need to be aware that this will not limit our liability should something happen is the baby is not sleeping on their back.
As for being devastated regardless, for me, the difference is "was this truly preventable?" If my child were biking without a helmet, fell, and recieved a serious brain injury I would obviously be devasted and probably feel terribly guilty. If my child was wearing a helmet and recieved the same injury I would probably still feel devastated but probably a little less guilty, KWIM?
Scout 11:41 AM 03-14-2013
This is from my fb page after I posted a link about the infants sleeping in swings. I had no idea that was dangerous and I figured some of my friends didn't as well. This reply is from a fb friend who is an investigator with the morgue. This was his reply to it: Scary!!

There's a lot to it & if there's interest I could start posting some stuff on my wall or people can message me.

There is only one safe sleeping environment for infants. In a crib with a firm mattress and single tight fitting sheet. Infant on his/her back in middle of crib. NOTHING else in the crib. Not a single blanket, toy, stuffed animal...nothing.

There are some things that are sold that are unsafe. Why these things are available is beyond comprehension & include wedges and bumper pads.

To give you an idea of how real this is, we have 20-30 infant sleep related deaths per year in one County alone. I can't recall the national stats off the top of my head.

Maybe these parents think the risk is less than it is. 20-30 infant deaths in one large county a year is very real and very scary IMO! I am not judging any parent that does this but, I was just not comfortable doing this...that being said, I swaddled my last until 7 mos!
mamac 01:14 PM 03-14-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I hope you didn't think my post came across as judgemental, because that wasn't my intention at all! I DO think parents should do what they feel is best for their children - BUT if you are going to be sending your child into a day care situation, I do think there is responsiblity on the parent's part to make the transition as easy as possible for the baby - and this includes trying to find ways for them to sleep on their back. That said, I strongly feel that all children should spend the first year of their lives at HOME with mom or dad so in my perfect world, this would be a non dc issue
I mentioned the article because as a child care provider I have come across parents that seem to think that if the doctor is okaying it, then it must be safe. As a provider we need to be aware that this will not limit our liability should something happen is the baby is not sleeping on their back.
As for being devastated regardless, for me, the difference is "was this truly preventable?" If my child were biking without a helmet, fell, and recieved a serious brain injury I would obviously be devasted and probably feel terribly guilty. If my child was wearing a helmet and recieved the same injury I would probably still feel devastated but probably a little less guilty, KWIM?
No worries. I didn't think you were being judgmental at all! I have noticed that there have been a few threads that when a differing opinion comes along it becomes an issue so I was just trying to make it clear that this was just MY opinion and I wasn't judging anyone else on theirs, nor was I trying to start an argument. This topic seemed like it may be one where it could get a little heated due to people having opposing viewpoints on something as important as a child's well-being.

I completely see your point on the helmet issue, but helmets have been proven to help prevent injury to the wearer. The cause of sids has not been proven to me, so I chose to weigh the "risk" against the benefits to my child. Plus, there has also been research showing that there are actually benefits to children sleeping on their bellies which have to do with motor development. (which is why infants require "tummy time") This is why I also mentioned vaccinations. I believe their may be some truth to the increase in autism due to immunization but I weighed the risk of that maybe happening to the proven fact that immunizations do protect against diseases. (and yet there are parents who choose not to do this.)

I was very fortunate enough to have been able to spend most of the first 2 1/2 years at home with both of my kids so I didn't have an issue with sending them to DC with a belly sleeping habit. Now that I will soon be a provider, I can see where this might become an issue for the DC to have to deal with a child who is not used to sleeping on their back. I would like to think that all kids would be able to adjust to sleeping on their backs, but I have a very hard time based on my experience as a mom. Believe me, I let them both lie on their backs for much longer than a minute or two while trying to get them to sleep. As mentioned in my pp, they fought relentlessly until they were placed on their bellies, which made for very tiring days and nights for dh and I. They were able to roll over on their own by about 3 months, so the belly sleeping (thankfully) became a non-issue early on.

I will be doing everything "by the book" when it comes to running my business though. My opinions on any given matter won't CMA if I start breaking the rules.
Angelsj 04:41 PM 03-14-2013
That's where I am at too...if the parent wants to have their baby sleep on their tummy just because, I don't want to take the baby....even though the paper says it releases us from any liability, I just don't want to go there.

I know it is their choice but I feel it is MY choice to be able to protect myself and my business.
I slept with my babies (on a waterbed )
However, if I can't get a tiny one to sleep on their back, I just wear them. We work on napping in the pack n play later on.
jenn 08:16 PM 03-14-2013
We are required to put them on their back to sleep. They can have a pacifier and a sleep sack. Once they can roll on their own, I still place them on their back, but if they roll over I leave them alone and just check more frequently. I no longer use the sleep sack once they can roll. We are required to have a safe sleep policy, so parents learn the rules and regulations we are forced to follow.
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I slept with my babies (on a waterbed )
However, if I can't get a tiny one to sleep on their back, I just wear them. We work on napping in the pack n play later on.
See, this is where I find our regulation language to be very confusing. I am told we CAN wear babies in slings or wraps but also told that infants can NOT sleep in any of those.

When I asked my licensor what I was suppose to do if they fall asleep in the wrap/sling and she said we are remove them immediately and place them in a crib/PNP.

Ugh, when the regs/rules get too complicated for infants it seems to me it would be easier to simply avoid. (atleast for me).

fwiw~ When my oldest was a baby, we owned a waterbed too and she LOVED sleeping there...
SilverSabre25 07:39 AM 03-15-2013
From day one both my kids would turn up on their sides to sleep. Lay them down on back, flip to side. Once they got proficient at rolling they both started flipping all the way to their tummies most of the time.
Angelsj 09:11 AM 03-15-2013
See, this is where I find our regulation language to be very confusing. I am told we CAN wear babies in slings or wraps but also told that infants can NOT sleep in any of those.

When I asked my licensor what I was suppose to do if they fall asleep in the wrap/sling and she said we are remove them immediately and place them in a crib/PNP.

Ugh, when the regs/rules get too complicated for infants it seems to me it would be easier to simply avoid. (atleast for me).

fwiw~ When my oldest was a baby, we owned a waterbed too and she LOVED sleeping there...
Seriously? Good grief. I was told that a sling/wrap is the only place they can sleep (other than the approved pack n play or crib) because you are holding them. And we are in the same state. Mercy. If the licensers can't figure it out, what are we supposed to do?
mema 11:56 AM 03-15-2013

Seriously? Good grief. I was told that a sling/wrap is the only place they can sleep (other than the approved pack n play or crib) because you are holding them. And we are in the same state. Mercy. If the licensers can't figure it out, what are we supposed to do?
Same state here. We are no for sleeping in a sling also. I asked what if baby falls asleep in stroller and we are headed to the park. I was told I have to head home and put the baby in a pnp. They can't hang out in the stroller or my arms sleeping at the park for 15-20 minutes. Another reason to not take any more infants because we our park time!
SilverSabre25 11:57 AM 03-15-2013
Same state here. We are no for sleeping in a sling also. I asked what if baby falls asleep in stroller and we are headed to the park. I was told I have to head home and put the baby in a pnp. They can't hang out in the stroller or my arms sleeping at the park for 15-20 minutes. Another reason to not take any more infants because we our park time!
i'm sorry, but that is so stupid.

this country is seriously getting insane.
Orie 03:58 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I totally parent my own kids in a way that I couldn't have my daycare kids parented. Lol. I let my own infants sleep on their tummies. I weighed the benefits and the actual risk and decided in favour of tummy. But I couldn't accept that liability with a dck.
In our state, providers are not allowed to even let their own infants sleep on their stomachs, or use any blankets in their crib. They will give a $200 fine if they came to inspect a home day care and found any infants sleeping on their stomachs, or have blankets, regardless if it was your own infant, sleeping in your own home. I am thankful my children are all older now, because that would really bother me that I couldn't make that decision on how my own children could sleep in my own home, while they are in my care.
Angelsj 04:40 PM 03-15-2013
I agree, it is stupid. No way I am going to head home with everyone just because the baby fell asleep! How much safer could they be than in my arms? Or even in a stroller that lays back? They are right there. But take them home and put them in a pack n play in another room and they are safer? Really? Common sense has flown the coop.
Willow 05:41 PM 03-15-2013
I agree, it is stupid. No way I am going to head home with everyone just because the baby fell asleep! How much safer could they be than in my arms? Or even in a stroller that lays back? They are right there. But take them home and put them in a pack n play in another room and they are safer? Really? Common sense has flown the coop.
I think the problem with it is as with everything there will be some who would try to take that to the extreme.

They might make the argument that baby has been sleeping in the stroller a few minutes while on a walk when they actually may have been in there all day. Strollers fold, and have strings, and there are no standards as far as using a 2 year old stroller, a 20 year old one or a pram from the 1800's. What about the provider who uses an old busted up stroller with dangling strings or fabric? Ones that have been sitting outside with critter droppings in/on them. Provider isn't going to sit there and stare at the infant in the stroller, obviously if you're outside you're supervising other kids. It only takes seconds for babies to get into trouble, and in the case of many strollers there's plenty that can occur.

Unfortunately the irresponsible ones tend to make life incredibly difficult for everyone else. I had a similar conversation with my food program rep about this a couple years ago. It drove me nuts that I couldn't share what I can with my daycare kids, or harvest out of nature when those fruits, veggies and proteins can be super healthy. I couldn't imagine how that made any kind of sense. Then she shared a story about a provider that was canning one day when she stopped in for an unannounced visit. A lot of the tomatoes that were sitting next to the sink were half rotted and she was just slicing off "most of the bad parts because you don't taste the turned parts once they sit in their juice for awhile." Fruit flies were everywhere and hanging above the sink where she was working were fly strips loaded with insects. The woman obviously saw nothing wrong with what she was doing and that is terrifying.

Additionally, my rep asked if I field dressed my critters in a timely manner. I told her of course. Then she asked me if I knew of anyone who let an animal sit overnight because they couldn't find it. Yeah, sometimes it happens. Did I know of anyone who contemplated doing so even when the temps were iffy? Unfortunately, yes. Did I know of anyone who dragged their critter back and had to wash it off/out because dirt and debris got on it. I suppose. Or who let it hang in a garage for awhile, bagged or quartered pieces and stored them in the snow until they could get them in for processing because they were too big to fit in their freezer......ok I got it. If I knew people who did all that and still ate the meat they harvested what's going to stop some insane idiot from picking up a deer off the side of the road and trying to feed it to their daycare kids save a buck? Although quality in processing can be guaranteed, quality in obtaining that meat, field prep and storage can't.

I had a hard time imagining worst case scenarios and although it irritates me there are stupid people in the world I realize now most of the rules we have to follow exist to try to curb their ridiculousness.
LaLa1923 05:56 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
We have had maybe 3/4 babies enrolled whose parents do that. Do they may use a halo monitor ( or a similar device) at home. I would tell them that baby is having lots of trouble sleeping on her back, since she is used to sleepin on her tummy. If they use something like a halo monitor, you could request that they bring it to you - as well as a dr. note. I would let it be known that the baby isnt sleeping well because of then allowing her to do something you cannot do, and that without either bringing the monitor & note - or adjusting the way they sleep her at home - she is going to continue to sleep poorly.

Honestly, most of our kids would sleep better on their tummy if we allowed them to. A lot of the time we set up tummy time on the bobby and that gets then to fall asleep pretty quickly. And then they get turned over and put in bed.
Doctors no longer recommend those machines. Unfortunately, some people don't use common sense. As in, they depend on them and don't check on their baby.
LaLa1923 05:59 PM 03-15-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
I told the parents that i cannot put her on her tummy and it is in my hand book she will adjust I am just surprised by the number of parents that put these little ones on their tummy to sleep.

My daughter was a back sleeper all the way and she was a great sleeper as a baby at 2.5 she still usually sleeps on her back.
All three of mine slept on their backs. I chose to make my own decision, since it doesn't seem like the medical community can ever make up their minds.
Angelsj 06:51 PM 03-15-2013
We have a hard time imagining the crapola because we use common sense.

I wish I could disagree with you, but I can't. Common sense having flown the coup is not limited to regulations. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just all use our brains to the benefit of others (esp our little charges) and there were no dipsticks out there? Sigh.
Blackcat31 07:37 AM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by Orie:
In our state, providers are not allowed to even let their own infants sleep on their stomachs, or use any blankets in their crib. They will give a $200 fine if they came to inspect a home day care and found any infants sleeping on their stomachs, or have blankets, regardless if it was your own infant, sleeping in your own home. I am thankful my children are all older now, because that would really bother me that I couldn't make that decision on how my own children could sleep in my own home, while they are in my care.
I think that must be a licensor interpretation as my licensor has said repeatedly that MN rules and regulations DO NOT apply to my own children when in care, other than counting in our ratios.

In my area, a provider can allow their own children to sleep as they wish.
LaLa1923 07:25 PM 03-16-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
All three of mine slept on their backs. I chose to make my own decision, since it doesn't seem like the medical community can ever make up their minds.
I meant bellies! Sorry
mbullette 10:46 AM 03-17-2013
All three of my kids slept on their bellies and they are still alive. To this day they are still tummy sleepers. If that is what the the parent decides to do then that is their choice. If you dont want them sleeping on their tummy while they are in your care then put her on her back. Everyone has their own opinion and I think we as sitters need to respect that.
Unregistered 11:40 AM 03-17-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
All three of my kids slept on their bellies and they are still alive. To this day they are still tummy sleepers. If that is what the the parent decides to do then that is their choice. If you dont want them sleeping on their tummy while they are in your care then put her on her back. Everyone has their own opinion and I think we as sitters need to respect that.
I think the issue is that it's not so simple as to say "it's the parents right so we need to respect that" if the child can't sleep on their back and scream all day long out of exhaustion, then it becomes a day care problem. If the parent has to put baby in day care, then they bear some responsibility in getting baby ready for a dc situation. And since most providers have to follow state regs, their hands are tied. Parents can have all the opinions they want, but if they want are doing things at home that make it difficult/impossible for baby to adjust the they need to be prepared to lose the day care spot.
Blackcat31 03:02 PM 03-17-2013
Originally Posted by mbullette:
Parents can NOT give a provider permission to do something that is against regulations.

If a provider is NOT allowed to let a child sleep on their stomach, then the parents bear the responsibility of helping/training their child to be comfortable sleeping on their back.

I am also NOT a sitter. I am a child care provider that will NEVER assume the liability of doing something incorrectly or against my licensing regulations simply because it is the parents wishes.
mema 07:17 PM 03-17-2013
I think that must be a licensor interpretation as my licensor has said repeatedly that MN rules and regulations DO NOT apply to my own children when in care, other than counting in our ratios.

In my area, a provider can allow their own children to sleep as they wish.
Definitely up to the licensor because here rules do apply to your own. Bassinets cannot be used for dck or your own during dc hours. I'm glad mine were older when I started because as littles they loved their bassinet and would not sleep in their cribs for the first few months.
Reply Up