Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Boy Sleeps In A Walk In Closet...
youretooloud 01:27 PM 04-30-2013
And, he's having a hard time sleeping here in the large open room. I could move things around and make his space smaller, but it would be a hassle.

I could put him back in a pack n play in a dark bedroom.

Or, I could just make him tough it out. There's only three weeks left before he stays home for summer.

He's making their evenings difficult now, and wants to go to bed at 6:30, but is waking up earlier and earlier every morning. So, they would like me to help brainstorm ideas, and I know most of the problem is, he's no longer sleeping in a bedroom alone. (I put a younger child in there) He's sleepy.

So, brainstorm for me.
countrymom 02:25 PM 04-30-2013
why is he sleeping in a walk in a closet, ok, not a surprise, my niece is 5 and sleeps in the living room. there is a reason why, just lazy parents.
LaLa1923 02:30 PM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
why is he sleeping in a walk in a closet, ok, not a surprise, my niece is 5 and sleeps in the living room. there is a reason why, just lazy parents.
Some walk-in closets are very large! I'd love to have a bedroom with no windows!!
LaLa1923 02:31 PM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
And, he's having a hard time sleeping here in the large open room. I could move things around and make his space smaller, but it would be a hassle.

I could put him back in a pack n play in a dark bedroom.

Or, I could just make him tough it out. There's only three weeks left before he stays home for summer.

He's making their evenings difficult now, and wants to go to bed at 6:30, but is waking up earlier and earlier every morning. So, they would like me to help brainstorm ideas, and I know most of the problem is, he's no longer sleeping in a bedroom alone. (I put a younger child in there) He's sleepy.

So, brainstorm for me.

I would put him back in a pack and play in a dark room. why make it harder on you?
youretooloud 02:59 PM 04-30-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
I would put him back in a pack and play in a dark room. why make it harder on you?
That's kind of what I was thinking. It's almost a vicious circle. He's not sleeping here, falling asleep too early, then waking up early, and making us miserable here.

It's only a few weeks. I could put the little one back in the family room until summer. At least he'll sleep there, just not as well, and I feel like we have to be so quiet..... But, I'll keep saying "It's only a few weeks".

As for why he's in a walk in closet, it's a 10X10 closet with dressers and a crib. They turned the laundry room into a family closet. The house is only a two bedroom condo. So, it's just the best use of space. It makes complete sense to me. He's perfectly happy in there. The older brother has the other room, and he's in grade school, so he doesn't want to share.
cheerfuldom 04:11 PM 04-30-2013
I don't think its weird. Our walk in closet would fit a twin bed I think. its just a small windowless room. As long as there was some ventilation, it doesn't sound like it would be a problem.
preschoolteacher 08:03 PM 04-30-2013
Wow, the first thought I had was not "lazy parents"... it was something along the lines of not having enough money to have a bedroom for the kiddo. Why IS he sleeping in a walk in closet? I'd move him somewhere dark so he can get the sleep he needs. It would make your job easier as well if he was happy and well rested.
itlw8 08:27 PM 04-30-2013
my ds bedroom was 9 x 11 so size is fine. maybe the parents could put a night light in the room so her gets used to some light
MarinaVanessa 08:30 PM 04-30-2013
My first thought wasn't lazy parents either and actually neither was lack of money. My first thought was "gosh, another weird child like mine" lol.

My children have their own room and neither sleeps in it. I almost want to take the beds out just to give them more play space. My DD sleeps in my mom's room and my DS sleeps on the floor of our bedroom in what I call his "nest". He piles up a bunch of pillow and lays down there every night. We let him because sometimes you have to pick your battles. Now I'm wondering if this decision makes me look like a "lazy parent" ???
Starburst 11:34 PM 04-30-2013
I would love to be able to put my bed in the closet (have thought about it a few times) but my bed is too big (queen size). I like having as much open space in the center of the room as possible. It drives some people nuts that my bed is always pushed up against a wall, but I think it's wasted space to have it in the middle of the room the with only the headboard against the wall.
AnneCordelia 03:10 AM 05-01-2013
LMAO my youngest DS spent the first two years of his life living in our walk in closet. It is large, has a heat register and a window. It fit his crib. It was easier than having him share with a sibling (we have 4 kids and 3 bedrooms) while he was still night waking to nurse. Worked awesome for us!

That said, he transitioned no problem to a real bedroom when the time came and didn't need a small dark space. LOL.
Kaddidle Care 04:07 AM 05-01-2013
You can put him in the cupboard under the stairs and call him Harry.
countrymom 07:22 AM 05-01-2013
I wasn't calling the parents lazy, my sister is lazy. They have room in their house, but its full of stuff in the room. She has always made the living room E's room. So when you walk in you see stuff there. The problem is that she is older and can't have friends over because she doesn't have a room. They use the living room as a living room and a bedroom. She sleeps on a couch. Apparently they want to give E her own room, so I ask every week if they started to paint, and they just haven't.

If I had a walk in, I would use it as my craft room.
youretooloud 11:55 AM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
I've done that before! I didn't call him Harry...but, the kid napped in a closet under the stairs. Behind his crib was a "fort" the older kids built.
DaisyMamma 01:42 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I was a nanny for a family who used their closet for the nursery. It was as big as my daughter's bedroom and had a window.
Starburst 03:20 PM 05-01-2013
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care:
Lol we actual have a large storage space in the back of our living room closet under the stairwell that we call the "Harry Potter room". We also sometimes referred to it as "Josh's room" - he is one of my brother's friends. For the record, he's an adult (older than me), we don't lock kids in closets, I swear!
sally 04:24 AM 05-30-2013
One of my dcbs is 2.5 and although he has his own decent sized bedroom at home and the parents put him to bed in his big boy bed, every morning they find him with his blanket and pillow in his teeny tiny closet. Hes been doing this for a couple months now. They have no idea why. During naptime in my home he always chooses to lay in a more closed in area near chairs or the couch in must livingroom.
Tags:napping issues
Reply Up