Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Crochet
lovemylife 10:08 AM 09-16-2013
Does anyone else like to crochet? I made everyone a animal hat last winter (cow, owl, frog exc) Do you make stuff for your daycare kids?
NeedaVaca 10:31 AM 09-16-2013
I don't know how to crochet but I know how to knit (just easy stuff). I was thinking about making something for my DCK's but still deciding...I made scarves for all my nieces and nephews last year and it took forever!
lovemylife 11:03 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:
I don't know how to crochet but I know how to knit (just easy stuff). I was thinking about making something for my DCK's but still deciding...I made scarves for all my nieces and nephews last year and it took forever!
I only get to crochet during nap time and bed time. So it takes me awhile to finish too. But I love it! It is a great stress reliever!
Play Care 11:05 AM 09-16-2013
I don't know how, but would love to learn. A woman in town gives lessons and I'm going to look into it.
craftymissbeth 11:09 AM 09-16-2013
I crochet.. or used to before it started hurting my wrist. I am pretty sure I just have a funky tension. I'd love to whip up some basic blankets for the older kids to use, but I've been hesitant to start up again. I have a whole craft room full of yarn going to waste
craftymissbeth 11:10 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I don't know how, but would love to learn. A woman in town gives lessons and I'm going to look into it.
Teresa at crochetgeek.com does great video tutorials. That's how I learned, actually
Jack Sprat 11:11 AM 09-16-2013
I like to crochet. I can't make anything but scarves lol! So we have tons of scarves of every length. We call them snails. The kids love them and they are cheaper then the silkie type scarves.
craftymissbeth 11:12 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
I like to crochet. I can't make anything but scarves lol! So we have tons of scarves of every length. We call them snails. The kids love them and they are cheaper then the silkie type scarves.
Oh that's a great idea!
Jack Sprat 11:16 AM 09-16-2013
I got the idea from a Waldorf school I visited. The teacher was knitting the scarves while the kids played. Some of the 4-5 yr olds were knitting too! Loved it!
craftymissbeth 11:18 AM 09-16-2013
< in a good way

omigosh I would love an environment like that!
lovemylife 11:41 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I learned from my grandmother when I was a preteen. I started crocheting again 2 years ago. I used YouTube to teach me again!
lovemylife 11:43 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Lil Monkey:
That's a great idea! If you want to try to make something different, YouTube is a great teacher. Especially Bobwilson123!!
LoraJenkins 11:46 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
Does anyone else like to crochet? I made everyone a animal hat last winter (cow, owl, frog exc) Do you make stuff for your daycare kids?
I both knit & crochet and make things for my Littles. Every child gets a Afghan (cot-sized) for use at nap. I have made them sweaters, socks, slippers, bean bags, etc.
Jack Sprat 11:55 AM 09-16-2013
The Waldorf school is amazing. If it wasn't 2.5 hours from our home our children would go to school there.

I am going to check out some tutorials. I made a stuffed owl this weekend. My 20 month old dcb said "I so proud of you." Love it!
countrymom 12:03 PM 09-16-2013
I crochet, and have made lots of stuff. Right now I'm working on finishing some projects up. When I want to use up my yarn I make granny square blankets, but they are boring.
e.j. 12:08 PM 09-16-2013
I can crochet simple things like scarves and afghans and I made a poncho for my dd once when she asked me for one. I'd love to learn to knit some day. My sister knits and makes the most beautiful things. Would love to have her talent.
lovemylife 12:23 PM 09-16-2013
My project right now is a "Hobo" drawstring bag. I am making it for my daughter so she has her own bag to put her church book and items in for her Wednesday night classes. All my dck want me to make one for them too
Maria2013 05:24 PM 09-16-2013
I used to do a lot when I was a kid, now I just make doll's blankets for the girls
Sunshine74 08:56 PM 09-16-2013
I would love to learn, but I can't learn from watching a video. I need someone there hands on who can help me when I get stuck (and I will).
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:32 AM 09-17-2013
I crochet. I always end up making my dd a box of scarves before Christmas for her friends at college. So, no, I don't do anything for my littles.
Familycare71 06:02 AM 09-17-2013
My MIL taught me how to crochet... And then when she was over she was looking at my work- I apparently made my own stitch! when I was little my grandmas friend taught me to knit - and I guess - according to my MIL the way I crochet I still use my hands like I'm knitting...
So yes I crochet- sort of!
misslori50 02:45 PM 09-18-2013
How darling
Originally Posted by NeedaVaca:

Luvnmykidz 03:54 PM 09-18-2013
I can crochet but prefer to knit. I have a few knitting looms and have taught my dd's how to knit scarves and hats. I can also make socks, baby booties, and and blankets. I also like to make tutu's and hair bows. My girls enjoy making them as well. For all of my little cousins 1st b-days (girls only) I make a tutu and matching hair bows. I am currently making a mix of all items to sell at my kids school festival to help the school raise money.
craftymissbeth 11:15 AM 09-23-2014
I know this is an older thread, but just wanted to add a link to a YouTube video I've discovered. It's a c2c (corner to corner) afghan that works up SO fast. It can be worked as a square or tweaked as a rectangle. I made a crib size rectangle in 2 days. That's extremely fast for me... fast enough that I actually finished it. I've never finished an afghan of any size before.

I'm going to make blankets for our nap mats and we will open them as Christmas gifts to stay here.

http://youtu.be/D-CNLEtrSLs
DaveA 12:00 PM 09-23-2014
Tried to crochet a couple of times but didn't have any ability or knack for it. I find it ironic I can make chain mail but not a scarf.
e.j. 12:09 PM 09-23-2014
Thanks for sharing; can't wait to try it. It looks very easy and quick to do.
AmyLeigh 12:35 PM 09-23-2014
Pinned it! Thank you. If I ever finish the afghan I'm working on for my dd, I might do that pattern next.
NightOwl 04:45 PM 09-23-2014
I can crochet, but not well. I'm left handed and there aren't many resources for lefties.
butterfly 04:56 PM 09-23-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I know this is an older thread, but just wanted to add a link to a YouTube video I've discovered. It's a c2c (corner to corner) afghan that works up SO fast. It can be worked as a square or tweaked as a rectangle. I made a crib size rectangle in 2 days. That's extremely fast for me... fast enough that I actually finished it. I've never finished an afghan of any size before.

I'm going to make blankets for our nap mats and we will open them as Christmas gifts to stay here.

Sweet! Thanks for posting! I started this at nap today. I'm excited. I've never made a blanket.
CraftyMom 08:25 PM 09-23-2014
I knit and crochet, but haven't done it for my dck's. I have thought of it though, I found some super cute winter hats on pinterest that I'd love to make for them if I had spare time

My daughter saw a crocheted minion hat at a fair today and wanted one. I said no, I can make that for way less than $20! So I have a project ahead of me! First to find a pattern...
rosieteddy 04:10 AM 09-24-2014
I crochet a blanket for each child who leaves.They pick out the colers and I crochet at free play time and nap time.They love to see the blanket grow ,I measure it weekly to the child who will own it.We call it a warm hug from Nana.
craftymissbeth 06:23 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I can crochet, but not well. I'm left handed and there aren't many resources for lefties.
If you're interested, there's a YouTube channel by a woman named Teresa. For many of her video tutorials, she does them twice.. once right handed and again left handed. I'm not left handed, but I learned to crochet initially by watching her videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2293C8592CAD1A
craftymissbeth 06:25 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I knit and crochet, but haven't done it for my dck's. I have thought of it though, I found some super cute winter hats on pinterest that I'd love to make for them if I had spare time

My daughter saw a crocheted minion hat at a fair today and wanted one. I said no, I can make that for way less than $20! So I have a project ahead of me! First to find a pattern...
I'm on a pretty tiny budget so I considered making hats for the dcks for Christmas. I never seem to get the sizes down right, though. I saw a thing on Pinterest that shows the measurements for different size hats so I think I might try that.
craftymissbeth 06:26 AM 09-24-2014
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
I crochet a blanket for each child who leaves.They pick out the colers and I crochet at free play time and nap time.They love to see the blanket grow ,I measure it weekly to the child who will own it.We call it a warm hug from Nana.
What a special gift for dcks! I think I'm going to make a blanket for each dck and when they leave me they can have the blanket.

(why I didn't just multiquote all of that, the world will never know)
Kelly 09:21 AM 09-24-2014
Crocheting and knitting are kind of obsessions for me--I am always working on something. I make a lot of kids' stuff and used to sell it but I got tired of making the same things over and over and trying to meet deadlines on custom orders. So now I make whatever I want and usually just give it away.
KiddieCahoots 09:36 AM 09-24-2014
Love to crochet!

My grandmother taught me, and I cherish the memories.

I'm always telling my own kids, when I die and they have to go through my stuff, there going to be shocked when they find all my stashes of yarn. I can almost hear them now......"Dang mom! More yarn...really!?" ..........
_Dana_ 08:22 AM 09-26-2014
I read through this post the other day and last night decided to give crochet a try. I went to the store and bought a few supplies. I got started this morning while I waited for the children to arrive.

It's easy! Much easier than I thought it would be! I made a few scarves for the dolls already and the kids love them! I know I'll be busy come winter.

Thanks for the youtube videos and inspiration!!
NightOwl 08:30 AM 09-26-2014
If you're interested, there's a YouTube channel by a woman named Teresa. For many of her video tutorials, she does them twice.. once right handed and again left handed. I'm not left handed, but I learned to crochet initially by watching her videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2293C8592CAD1A
Cool! Thank you! I never thought of trying youtube! I basically taught myself because all of the beginner's guides were for right handed people and I think that's why I'm not very good.
butterfly 10:09 AM 09-26-2014

dumb question... but how do I finish this blanket? I have a triangle that keeps getting bigger, but I'm not sure I know how to reverse it to get a rectangle when I'm done.
craftymissbeth 11:51 AM 09-26-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
dumb question... but how do I finish this blanket? I have a triangle that keeps getting bigger, but I'm not sure I know how to reverse it to get a rectangle when I'm done.
Not a dumb question! She has another video that shows how to decrease. If you do it like the videos, you'll get a square. I like to make mine into rectangles, so I work it until it's the width I want, then decrease on one side only until I get the length I want, then decrease on both sides to finish the rectangle. I hope that makes sense

http://youtu.be/nm20j_x9Ol8
craftymissbeth 11:52 AM 09-26-2014
Originally Posted by _Dana_:
I read through this post the other day and last night decided to give crochet a try. I went to the store and bought a few supplies. I got started this morning while I waited for the children to arrive.

It's easy! Much easier than I thought it would be! I made a few scarves for the dolls already and the kids love them! I know I'll be busy come winter.

Thanks for the youtube videos and inspiration!!
Yay! I'm so glad you've decided to start! It's so relaxing when you really start getting a groove going
butterfly 10:30 AM 10-15-2014
Not a dumb question! She has another video that shows how to decrease. If you do it like the videos, you'll get a square. I like to make mine into rectangles, so I work it until it's the width I want, then decrease on one side only until I get the length I want, then decrease on both sides to finish the rectangle. I hope that makes sense

http://youtu.be/nm20j_x9Ol8
Crafty... I've been meaning to come back and THANK YOU for posting the links and the help. I was able to complete my first ever baby blanket. (gave it to an expecting DCM - they were elated!) And now I'm currently working on a Twin bed size blanket for my youngest son. I found my new fun naptime activity.

Thank you so much!!
craftymissbeth 10:42 AM 10-15-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Crafty... I've been meaning to come back and THANK YOU for posting the links and the help. I was able to complete my first ever baby blanket. (gave it to an expecting DCM - they were elated!) And now I'm currently working on a Twin bed size blanket for my youngest son. I found my new fun naptime activity.

Thank you so much!!
You're so welcome! They work up so fast! I've have crafting ADHD so I rarely finish any of my projects... let alone an afghan lol This pattern works up so fast it's actually fun watching it turn into a blanket.

I'd love to see pictures of your twin sized blanket!
Tags:crochet, knitting
Reply Up