Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>May Be Losing My Assistant :-(
small_steps 12:29 PM 04-04-2014
My helper of almost two years now has been offered a decent paying position with the city. She's great! I really hate to lose her. She hasn't decided for sure if she will take the position. It's a salaried position and includes lots of weekend and evening duties. She really doesn't want to give up her weekends. Plus she is wanting to have a baby and this job would have her outside all summer. It's over the swimming and concessions for the city so she would have lots of different and somewhat demanding responsibilities. She can handle them for sure. She's great at whatever she does. She works hard and is a good employee. I'm thinking of offering her a raise but I can't compete with $14 an hour, plus she will have benefits. I can only offer paid holidays and weekends off. I have her at $9 an hour now. Her schedule is pretty flexible and only have her working about 25 hours a week but she doesn't really want full time.

Are there any benefits that you guys can think of that I could offer her besides a raise? I will probably offer her $1 raise but I can't afford to pay her anymore than that. Things that wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg but would help make her decision a little more difficult or am I just wishful thinking?
Main reason she would take this job would be benefits...mainly insurance. I don't even have insurance myself right now so I can't offer It to her unfortunately.

Would love
To hear suggestions on what you guys do for your employees.
taylorw1210 12:35 PM 04-04-2014
If she's wanting to start a family, would she want to put the baby in daycare so she can work at this other job? Maybe appeal to her that she'd be able to care for the baby herself while still working with you? (If you can reasonably accommodate that.) I know that would be a big deciding factor for me...
small_steps 12:47 PM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by taylorw1210:
If she's wanting to start a family, would she want to put the baby in daycare so she can work at this other job? Maybe appeal to her that she'd be able to care for the baby herself while still working with you? (If you can reasonably accommodate that.) I know that would be a big deciding factor for me...
She's mentioned that and she doesn't want to put the baby in daycare while she works. Of course she'd rather stay home with it but not sure that will be an option. I've thought a little about letting her bring the baby and having free child care as an added bonus. My son is going to kindergarten and creating a spot next year. I already don't get paid for this spot since he is mine so I wouldn't be necessarily missing the income from this if I gave it to her.
However I'm not sure how she would handle watching her own baby and the others. We all know how difficult our own kiddos can be with us.
TwinKristi 03:57 PM 04-04-2014
Originally Posted by small_steps:
She's mentioned that and she doesn't want to put the baby in daycare while she works. Of course she'd rather stay home with it but not sure that will be an option. I've thought a little about letting her bring the baby and having free child care as an added bonus. My son is going to kindergarten and creating a spot next year. I already don't get paid for this spot since he is mine so I wouldn't be necessarily missing the income from this if I gave it to her.
However I'm not sure how she would handle watching her own baby and the others. We all know how difficult our own kiddos can be with us.
I would start with the $1/hr and potential of childcare included in her benefits but that's about as far as you can really go! So sorry!
Tags:assistant pay
Reply Up