Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Storage Shed in Backyard
Leigh 08:00 AM 09-17-2014
I just bought a 192 sq. ft. storage shed for my backyard. A little over half of it is used for storing daycare toys, the rest for our yard equipment. Do I include this in my time/space percentage, or do I depreciate the shed? The cost was $3400 total, if that helps.
TomCopeland 10:50 AM 09-17-2014
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I just bought a 192 sq. ft. storage shed for my backyard. A little over half of it is used for storing daycare toys, the rest for our yard equipment. Do I include this in my time/space percentage, or do I depreciate the shed? The cost was $3400 total, if that helps.
Normally, you would depreciate the cost of the shed over 7 years. However, if you use it more than 50% for your business, you can use the Section 179 rule and deduct the business portion of the shed in one year. So, this might be the case for you. I would measure the space taken up by the toys to be sure it's more than 50% of the space. Also, the yard equipment is also used for your business, so even if the toys take up, say 45% of the space, you could still probably say the overall use of the shed is more than 50% business.

Don't count the space of the shed in your time-space %. Here's an article I wrote on this: "Should I Count My Shed in My Time-Space %?"
Leigh 07:07 PM 09-17-2014
Thank you for the advice!
Reply Up