Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do Workers Take Lunch Breaks?
sookiewon 03:21 PM 11-28-2008
I have a quick question. Are workers allowed to take lunch breaks and time docked for it? Must it meet the state requirements of teacher/child ratio?
kidcentric 07:16 PM 11-30-2008
Check the wage and hour requirements for your state for specifics, but, yes, employees working more than a certain number of hours (usually 4) must have a break (usually at least 30 minutes). This time is not paid, but the employee must also be completely free of work activities during this time, so, no, they could not count in ratio while on their lunch break.
Justaweavin 07:56 PM 11-30-2008
I have been working at a day care for 2 1/2 years. We get lunch breaks only when the kids sleep. I don't think this is fair, but it is the way it is done at our home day care.

Assistant in Michigan
Unregistered 01:38 PM 12-01-2008
I now run an in home daycare and the only time i really get a "break" is when the children are sleeping. And then its not really a "break" i have to clean from lunch and do all the things i can't do when the children are awake. I also spent 5 years in a daycare center and i would work 12 hours a day and they would have another teacher cover me for the 1 hour i was allowed to leave and take a breather.
Unregistered 07:50 PM 11-10-2011
Originally Posted by Justaweavin:
I have been working at a day care for 2 1/2 years. We get lunch breaks only when the kids sleep. I don't think this is fair, but it is the way it is done at our home day care.

Assistant in Michigan

Yes, I can only take a lunch break only when kids are napping, too. Sometimes, a newborn baby who can't take a nap is still awake, then I have to eat and keep walking around to make sure she is safe and do not make loud noise to wake the rest up. :-( Not a fun lunch
Tags:lunch break
Reply Up