Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dad Dropped Girl off Today, and He Smelled Like Pot...
youretooloud 09:29 AM 08-18-2011
I don't have a huge issue with smoking pot. I wish I could buy it at Walgreens.

But, I have an enormous issue with driving under the influence.

The reason I think it's possible that he was smoking pot is because he had a serious spine fracture, and he's trying to get off pain meds...so, it makes perfect sense that he'd use pot instead. But, not while DRIVING...and not while driving his kids to school.... they live right by me, but the grade school (to drop off the older boys) is two miles away.

I didn't say anything... but, I gave him the raised eyebrow look, and he seemed kinda guilty. I'm going to say something today though. I know them well enough to tell him what I think. "Take motrin in the morning, and get high when you are home".

It's not just his kids I worry about... it's all the other people on the road.
Stacy214 10:21 AM 08-18-2011
wow that is sad...I understand he has pain but really? If my husband did this I swear I don't know how I would react. I too don't have an issue with it if it's done responsibly .
I'm glad you are going to say something, I couldn't let this go either.
laundrymom 10:34 AM 08-18-2011
I dont know how to respond,...

a disclaimer saying Im a naive prude,....

I have never seen pot let alone done pot. I did smell it last weekend, we were driving through a neighborhood and dh made a comment,...made my belly upset,

I have a huge issue with anything against the law. I mean,.. 36 in a 35 raises my Blood pressure.

I also have an issue with being under the influence of anything and being responsible for anothers life.

I think I would turn dad in. He was under the influence of an illegal substance, driving with children,.....
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 08-18-2011
I have a huge issue with parents smoking pot.
wdmmom 11:18 AM 08-18-2011
Typically I think like this, "Do what you want to do if it makes you happy. As long as you aren't hurting anyone..."

But, he was/is hurting his children! That's not at all safe!

Pot is illegal! We aren't exempt from the law and neither is he!

Be an advocate for these kids and stand up for them!!!!
Crystal 12:51 PM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I don't have a huge issue with smoking pot. I wish I could buy it at Walgreens.
The rest of your post aside, this part cracked me up! LOL!
youretooloud 04:33 PM 08-18-2011
Sooo... I don't know if I believe this or not... But, he said that his dog got mites on him this weekend, and they have been treating the dog with something called "Neem Oil". Today, he decided to mix Neem Oil and Tea tree oil together with water and spray the dog all over with this mix. He CLAIMS it just smells like pot. (if I had neem oil, i'd totally try this) He says he'd gladly smoke pot if it were legalized, but he wouldn't risk his family just to get high, and he wouldn't get high at 8:00 a.m anyway.

I'm dying to know what Neem oil smells like now.
mom2many 04:44 PM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
Sooo... I don't know if I believe this or not... But, he said that his dog got mites on him this weekend, and they have been treating the dog with something called "Neem Oil". Today, he decided to mix Neem Oil and Tea tree oil together with water and spray the dog all over with this mix. He CLAIMS it just smells like pot. (if I had neem oil, i'd totally try this) He says he'd gladly smoke pot if it were legalized, but he wouldn't risk his family just to get high, and he wouldn't get high at 8:00 a.m anyway.

I'm dying to know what Neem oil smells like now.
I couldn't help wondering myself, so I googled "what does Neem oil smell like" and this is what popped up:

* The smell of neem oil takes some getting used to (think licorice or soy sauce) but neem oil really works.
* Rancid peanut butter.
* Dirt, musk and garlic is a good description.
* Neem oil has an aroma of sulfur and garlic. When mixed with the tea tree it does become a little more medicinal to the senses. It is not necessarily a pretty smell but it does the job you need it to do! Adding lavender helps the aroma somewhat...
* Rancid garlic
* Neem oil has a remarkable bouquet, reminiscent of burning rubber, with a lingering burnt hair finish. But the stuff works.
* French onion soup (This description is from a manufacturer, and I'd argue with it. French onion soup smells good! Neem oil does not!)
* Rancid burnt onions
* Onions boiled in coffee
* Did I mention that it has a very strong smell? A bit like garlicky peanut butter with some rotten eggs thrown in, but one gets used to it.

Interesting indeed....
Kaddidle Care 04:49 PM 08-18-2011
Hmm well here is a list of things that neem oil smells like: http://www.discoverneem.com/neem-oil-smell.html

I know Tee tree oil smells sort of like turpentine so the combo would be pretty nasty smelling.

I think it's far fetched that it smells like pot.

Edit: haha! This is the same list the previous poster used! Great minds think alike - and google alike!
Zoe 04:56 PM 08-18-2011
The fact that he even felt the need to explain kinda gives him away IMHO. If it really was this oil, then why would he even think to explain anything?
Abigail 08:05 PM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I dont know how to respond,...

a disclaimer saying Im a naive prude,....

I have never seen pot let alone done pot. I did smell it last weekend, we were driving through a neighborhood and dh made a comment,...made my belly upset,

I have a huge issue with anything against the law. I mean,.. 36 in a 35 raises my Blood pressure.

I also have an issue with being under the influence of anything and being responsible for anothers life.

I think I would turn dad in. He was under the influence of an illegal substance, driving with children,.....

I agree with everything. I like to follow the book and rules and I just have a heart that will ache forever if I don't. I would still call social services??? or whoever to report because you'd be in trouble if someone else turned him in and was found under the influence while the kids were in his care and they found out you had suspected it all along. I don't know what pot smells like either, but you made a post about it so it much have been a true concern.
Michael 09:39 PM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by Zoe:
The fact that he even felt the need to explain kinda gives him away IMHO. If it really was this oil, then why would he even think to explain anything?
Correct. He has that line down because he gets asked about it often is my guess.
youretooloud 09:59 PM 08-18-2011
Originally Posted by Michael:
Correct. He has that line down because he gets asked about it often is my guess.
That's what I was wondering. I jumped him with my questions as soon as he came in. I told him I don't care that he's smoking... I just care that he's driving 15 miles each way. He says he's not smoking at all.
AnneCordelia 05:25 AM 08-19-2011
I've used neem oil to treat mites in my dog's ears. I can see how this mistake could be made and I'd likely take him for his word if he's usually honest about things. Do you have other reason to doubt him?
PitterPatter 05:35 AM 08-19-2011
Another thing that concerns me is that he probably smoked it on the way WHILE driving! Meaning the kids are inhaling it 2nd had in a confined area! I know someone who would smoke it sometimes and I could never tell unless they smoked it in the car or another confined area. Had he smoked it at home I think the scent would have faded off by the time he arrived at your home. Not that I am an expert, I don't touch the stuff but this is just my encounter in the past.

Did the children smell like it? Did he smell like it at pick up?
Auntie 06:13 AM 08-19-2011
How were his eyes at drop off? I know where I work one of the teachers would have fished for information from one of the kids by asking a question about the dog. They get a lot of information from the kids that parents don't tell you. I am usually not cleaver enough to even go there.
Tags:bad parent, drugs, dui, illegal substance, impairment, mandated reporter, parents - irresponsible, rico
Reply Up