Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Suggestions On Where To Get Supplies
nicslittlebugs 10:13 AM 05-19-2011
Hello everyone,

I am currently awaiting my inspections and in the meantime getting all my "gear" in order. I am looking for suggestions on where everyone gets their arts and craft supplies. Who offers the best values in your opinion?

Thanks!
meganlavonnesmommy 10:30 AM 05-19-2011
I love discount school supply, their prices are great. I also get a lot at my local dollar store. We have Dollar Tree and they have some great craft supplies. I sometimes order from oriental trading, but their quality isnt the greatest. Sometimes I find some good stuff tho.
melskids 10:34 AM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:
I love discount school supply, their prices are great. I also get a lot at my local dollar store. We have Dollar Tree and they have some great craft supplies. I sometimes order from oriental trading, but their quality isnt the greatest. Sometimes I find some good stuff tho.
same here. i also use www.ssww.com sometimes, and only shop at michaels or AC moore when its something special we are looking for.
Sugar Magnolia 03:42 PM 05-19-2011
I get paper for free from offices. They often throw away or recycle paper that has a blank side. The kids don't mind if there's type on one side, they use the blank side. Go to a wallpaper store and ask for discontinued wallpaper sample books, makes great craft projects. Paint-Walmart. Crayons and markers, Walmart @ Back-to-School time, when they have .25 boxes of crayons and .99 markers, stock up for the year, because the prices go up after September. Personally, I steer clear of ordering from catalogs, often overpriced and usually a shipping charge. Dollar stores REALLY ROCK!!! esp. for construction paper. Off topic, but for paper towels and toilet paper-find a local "janitorial supply" place. I pay 14 bucks for 4000 tri-fold paper towels. You have to buy a dispenser, but it was less than $30. I get 96 rolls of t.p. for $38. I save a TON on paper products by NOT buying them @ Walmart. In general, don't be timid about asking people for donations! You can get a LOT of free stuff if you ask. Wow, cheapness is my specialty, I could go on and on and on....let me know if you want more cheapy ideas!
nicslittlebugs 03:51 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I get paper for free from offices. They often throw away or recycle paper that has a blank side. The kids don't mind if there's type on one side, they use the blank side. Go to a wallpaper store and ask for discontinued wallpaper sample books, makes great craft projects. Paint-Walmart. Crayons and markers, Walmart @ Back-to-School time, when they have .25 boxes of crayons and .99 markers, stock up for the year, because the prices go up after September. Personally, I steer clear of ordering from catalogs, often overpriced and usually a shipping charge. Dollar stores REALLY ROCK!!! esp. for construction paper. Off topic, but for paper towels and toilet paper-find a local "janitorial supply" place. I pay 14 bucks for 4000 tri-fold paper towels. You have to buy a dispenser, but it was less than $30. I get 96 rolls of t.p. for $38. I save a TON on paper products by NOT buying them @ Walmart. In general, don't be timid about asking people for donations! You can get a LOT of free stuff if you ask. Wow, cheapness is my specialty, I could go on and on and on....let me know if you want more cheapy ideas!

WOW that was great!! Thanks for all the tips. Even though school will be letting out soon it wont be long until the stores will be having their back to school sales so ill def stock up then....I didnt even think of that! I will have to find a janitorial supply around here....I was thinking how ppr towels are going to cost me a fortune!!

Any other cheapie tricks you have I would love to hear!!

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions...I am looking into both discount and ssww....the good news is I do have a dollar tree right up the road (love that place!) I did see that they even have bulletin board supplies there!
Sugar Magnolia 05:46 PM 05-19-2011
Random cheapness: yard sales, of course, but if you notice they have lots of kids stuff, give them a card and tell them you have a preschool and you'd appreciate donations of unsold items. You'd be shocked how much free stuff you get this way! Try freecycle.org too. I never buy a book brand new...used book stores totally rock, pay as little as 25 cents, or they'll donate if you ask real nice. And utilize your local library, free and keeps books fresh. And they often have free coloring pages, etc. LOTS of businesses have free kids swag and unused promotional items, if you say you have a preschool, they will gladly hook you up, just ask, don't be shy!!! Kids LOVE to sit on carpet squares! A local carpet store will donate discontinued samples. Hardware stores have discontinued paint color samples they throw away. Doctors offices will donate tounge depressers for crafts and old magazines for cutting up. Pizza places will donate pizza boxes for crafts. As you can see, I'm a big fan of polite begging, especially to local businesses. Call your local county parks dept, they often have free coloring books and people who will visit your school with critters and such. So do police depts. (Free plastic badges!) And fire depts.(Free plastic fire hats). My bank gives me pens when I ask. They know me, so they save stuff for me that they think can be used by kids, like paper.

I am also a huge fan of free PUBLICITY! Have your kids make a Memorial Day poster for your local VFW post, takes some pictures, send to the paper. Adopt a soldier, send him pictures and cards the kids make, take some pictures, send to the paper. Make cards for the local old folks home, take pictures, send to the paper. You get the idea....serve the community and they will serve you.

Hmmm....that's all I got...for now. Heehee.
momofboys 05:55 PM 05-19-2011
Originally Posted by meganlavonnesmommy:

I buy some supplies there also. I think the construction paper is a bargain & I get glitter glue. Just today I bought some ink pads for my many stampers that the kids like to play with. I also like to get workbooks for my preschool age son.
Abigail 08:49 PM 05-19-2011
Do you live in a small or large city? If you have a Hobby Lobby they have 50% off sales and after seasonal events/holidays they have sales marked down from 50% then 66% then 80% and finally 90% within a month of the occasion. Right now is Vocational Bible Study VBS and they have tons of stuff for crafts and before you know it they will be increasing those sales percentages!

I wouldn't order your main/popular supplies from online because you can easily find great deals in town. Love those dollars stores as well. The best time to stock up on main/popular supplies is the back-to-school sales in July-early Sept. for 75% off school supplies.
Cat Herder 04:02 AM 05-20-2011
www.bettymills.com

One stop shop

My saving grace.
Sugar Magnolia 11:54 AM 05-24-2011
Do you have a Ross store near you? They have great educational puzzles, books and toys for very low prices.
Tags:supplies
Reply Up