Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sooooo Frustrated. Any Creative Ideas? Help!
Kimberli 07:58 AM 01-29-2013
This may be nothing more than a rhetorical vent, but ...

I am licensed for 8 kids - 2 needing to be school-aged and if so, no more than 2 infants when the SA are in the facility before and after school.

I have had one 2 and up opening since October - looks like it is finally going to be filled tomorrow - hallelujah!

I also have a lady lined up to start her two SA children with me when the first of my 3 infants turns 2 on March 11 (5 weeks away). That would make me FULL again, finally!!!! Yippppeeee! But ...

This morning the Mom of the SAs called and said she is desperate because her current provider gave her 1 day notice this morning and she needs someone to watch the girls before and after school starting TOMORROW. If I took them, I would be out of ratio. (and we all know how much my Licensing Analyst likes me.) But if I can't take them for another 5 weeks, she will find someone else and once again I can say bye-bye to income that I really need. This has been the story since I started this daycare 3 years ago ... turn away money even though I am equipped to care for the children and I have a full time assistant though I am not required to have one.

Any brilliant ideas? There is NO way I am putting myself in jeopardy with Licensing. What can I do so I don't lose these kiddos?
CedarCreek 08:11 AM 01-29-2013
I'm just curious, why did her provider give her one day of notice? I'm just trying to put things together before I try to come up with an idea.
Heidi 08:15 AM 01-29-2013
Do you have a trusted friend or family member who can help out the mom until then?

In my case, I have a 15 year old, who I would then offer up as a "babysitter" at their house until then.
Kimberli 08:16 AM 01-29-2013
She said she is not very professional and gets her daughters to school late several days a week - so she has given her notice that she would be leaving her care in March when she started with me - and that was the provider's response to term her with no notice in return.
bunnyslippers 08:23 AM 01-29-2013
Would you be out of ratio just because of the ages of the children? And you have an assistant? Just trying to get it straight...

If it is only a matter of the ages, and if it is only going to be an issue for five weeks, and if you have an assistant who can help...I would probably just take the two SA and be out of ratio for the short time. Maybe look at how you could tweek schedules here and there so the amount of time each day that you are out of ratio isn't too long.

I know I am telling you to break a rule, and I know people may think I am wrong (so please don't get all over me for this advice, fellow forumers). I just think that it is for such a short time that it probably won't even matter. I mean, in 5 weeks, is that almost 2 year old really going to be a changed baby? It is for reasons like this that I get soooo frustrated with the licensing process.
ABCDaycareMN 08:40 AM 01-29-2013
Can you ask your licenser for a variance? They may just say ok since it's only a age thing for 5 weeks.
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Kimberli:
She said she is not very professional and gets her daughters to school late several days a week - so she has given her notice that she would be leaving her care in March when she started with me - and that was the provider's response to term her with no notice in return.
Wow, that kind of sucks for the parent.

I think it is nice that you are trying to help her but at the same time she knows you made arrangements to accept her children into care in March and even though she needs immediate care, if it isn't something you can accomodate, you mught just have to tell her that you can't switch things up for her.

Even if that means risking losing her as a client.

I am sorry there isn't an easy answer. I would opt for complete honesty with her and simply tell her your situation and why you aren't able to help her out and see if she is willing to find temporary care until you can take her kids.

If she really wants to be a part of your program, she might just do whateer she can to make due until you are available.
Kimberli 09:43 AM 01-29-2013
Well, I did go ahead and e-mail my analyst to ask for a temporary variance, but I fully expect NO for an answer. The analyst I have has a reputation for being excessively strict and critical - BUT, it never hurts to ask.

Having said that, now I fully expect a visit from her in the next couple of weeks! Lol!
nanglgrl 10:52 AM 01-29-2013
Do you have any parents that could cut back on their hours a bit for 5 weeks (like come later and leave earlier)? Maybe give them a discount and tell them the time period and why you would like to do it. If you make the discount good enough someone might adjust their schedule. Of course you may actually lose a little money for those 5 weeks but you would gain long term.
If you found a parent that was willing to do it I would definitely tell them it's a temporary thing. You don't want them expecting a discount after the 5 weeks is up or trying to change their schedule and pay less so you would have to make that very clear.
Crystal 11:33 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by bunnyslippers:
Would you be out of ratio just because of the ages of the children? And you have an assistant? Just trying to get it straight...

If it is only a matter of the ages, and if it is only going to be an issue for five weeks, and if you have an assistant who can help...I would probably just take the two SA and be out of ratio for the short time. Maybe look at how you could tweek schedules here and there so the amount of time each day that you are out of ratio isn't too long.

I know I am telling you to break a rule, and I know people may think I am wrong (so please don't get all over me for this advice, fellow forumers). I just think that it is for such a short time that it probably won't even matter. I mean, in 5 weeks, is that almost 2 year old really going to be a changed baby? It is for reasons like this that I get soooo frustrated with the licensing process.
Worst advice ever. In cali she would be shut down.
Crystal 11:34 AM 01-29-2013
Well, I did go ahead and e-mail my analyst to ask for a temporary variance, but I fully expect NO for an answer. The analyst I have has a reputation for being excessively strict and critical - BUT, it never hurts to ask.

Having said that, now I fully expect a visit from her in the next couple of weeks! Lol!
Unfortunately, In California they will, under no circumstances, give a "temporary variance" If you call and ask, you are opening yourself up for a visit for sure.
justgettingstarted 11:48 AM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Unfortunately, In California they will, under no circumstances, give a "temporary variance" If you call and ask, you are opening yourself up for a visit for sure.
This. When I first opened someone on here suggested that I ask for a variance for a similar situation. My licensor had never heard of such a thing and went on and on about how under no circumstances could I ever exceed the ratios. I was visited a few weeks later
bunnyslippers 12:12 PM 01-29-2013
As I said...no need to jump all over me. I had this same issue, and went over for 3 weeks. Still open! Didn't have an issue. I was simply offering my opinion.

You really need to work on your delivery. Comes off pretty nasty a lot of the time.
Kimberli 12:25 PM 01-29-2013
Well, I did email and ask this morning because I know it is done other places, but with no reply so far. And, after my last awful visit from my analyst I actually think it might be good for her to come back out and find a clean slate. She will probably show up any day now and I will, of course, be in ratio!

I referred the mom to the before and after school program at the elementary school as a temporary option. We will see if she actually brings her kiddos here after the 5 weeks.
daycare 12:26 PM 01-29-2013
if you already have an asst that is there all the time then why not expand your license to large?

I know it will take time,but it would make sense.
daycare 12:27 PM 01-29-2013
Well, I did email and ask this morning because I know it is done other places, but with no reply so far. And, after my last awful visit from my analyst I actually think it might be good for her to come back out and find a clean slate. She will probably show up any day now and I will, of course, be in ratio!

I referred the mom to the before and after school program at the elementary school as a temporary option. We will see if she actually brings her kiddos here after the 5 weeks.
In ca you can NEVER be over ratio, not even for 1 second. I asked and was told NO, not ever
daycare 12:29 PM 01-29-2013
Honestly, it sounds like you will need to pass on this. As much as you want to take them, it would not be within your legal right to do so under your current license.

It only took me 1 month to go from 8 to 14.
Heidi 12:32 PM 01-29-2013
Kind of harsh, Crystal, but here too. I would never risk that! In some states, you just cannot take that lightly!
Kimberli 12:32 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
if you already have an asst that is there all the time then why not expand your license to large?

I know it will take time,but it would make sense.
Even though I have lived in my house for 4 years, my landlord will not give me written approval. Although the State says he cannot deny me, the County Assessor's Office will not process my expansion application without a notarized letter of permission. It's a complete catch 22 - I've been trying for 2 years. If I push him, I am afraid he will not renew my lease or make my life miserable in the meantime. I am over a barrel.

Like I said - every time I turn around, since I've been doing licensed daycare, someone seems to always be telling me that I can't do what I should have the right to do - give a child time out, expand my license, etc. - even though the law states otherwise. I really hate the politics of California.
Country Kids 12:39 PM 01-29-2013
In ca you can NEVER be over ratio, not even for 1 second. I asked and was told NO, not ever
A friend of mine was over by one and just happened to have an inspection going at the same time. The thing is she didn't know it but a parent picked up one sibling and didn't pick up the other one-. She was busy with the inspector, the other teachers/assistants checked out the one sibling and then field trip kids came in. This one child that the parent left for some reason (other one was going to an appt. or something) put the whole place over ratio. My friend was soooooo mad at this parent-
Crystal 12:49 PM 01-29-2013
As I said...no need to jump all over me. I had this same issue, and went over for 3 weeks. Still open! Didn't have an issue. I was simply offering my opinion.

You really need to work on your delivery. Comes off pretty nasty a lot of the time.
I didn't "jump all over you" I made a very clear, precise statement. It IS the worst advice ever. Just because you (unethically and illegally) got away with it doesn't mean you should advise others to risk losing their license.

You are right, sometimes I do come off harsh, but when I do, it is (usually) intentional because what I am responding to is SERIOUS. If you do not like me responding to you in such a way, then do not post unethical, illegal advice, because I will respond unkindly every time. Nothing irritates me more than 1. a provider intentionally doing things illegally/unethically on PURPOSE and 2. advising another provider to do the same because she "got away with it"

Also, although I DO sometimes come off harsh, more often than not I give great advice, support, encouragement and assistance to other providers.
Crystal 12:52 PM 01-29-2013
Even though I have lived in my house for 4 years, my landlord will not give me written approval. Although the State says he cannot deny me, the County Assessor's Office will not process my expansion application without a notarized letter of permission. It's a complete catch 22 - I've been trying for 2 years. If I push him, I am afraid he will not renew my lease or make my life miserable in the meantime. I am over a barrel.

Like I said - every time I turn around, since I've been doing licensed daycare, someone seems to always be telling me that I can't do what I should have the right to do - give a child time out, expand my license, etc. - even though the law states otherwise. I really hate the politics of California.
I was going to suggest expanding as well.

I would have a talk with your landlord. If he refuses to allow it, I would then let him know the law. If he tries to not renew your lease, or gives you a hard time, you can sue him.

What county are you in again? If you are in my area, I know a couple of landlords that would totally work with you!
bunnyslippers 12:54 PM 01-29-2013
I didn't "jump all over you" I made a very clear, precise statement. It IS the worst advice ever. Just because you (unethically and illegally) got away with it doesn't mean you should advise others to risk losing their license.

You are right, sometimes I do come off harsh, but when I do, it is (usually) intentional because what I am responding to is SERIOUS. If you do not like me responding to you in such a way, then do not post unethical, illegal advice, because I will respond unkindly every time. Nothing irritates me more than 1. a provider intentionally doing things illegally/unethically on PURPOSE and 2. advising another provider to do the same because she "got away with it"

Also, although I DO sometimes come off harsh, more often than not I give great advice, support, encouragement and assistance to other providers.
You do often give good advice, as do I. I am not from Cali, and it seems that your rules are pretty strict and you are closely monitored. Not the case here in my state.

And I do NOT appreciate you calling me unethical or accuse me of doing something illegal. My licensor was AWARE of what I was doing at the time, and was FINE with it. I have never broken a law on purpose, or at all, for that matter. You don't know me, and really need to get a grip.
Kimberli 12:59 PM 01-29-2013
I was going to suggest expanding as well.

I would have a talk with your landlord. If he refuses to allow it, I would then let him know the law. If he tries to not renew your lease, or gives you a hard time, you can sue him.

What county are you in again? If you are in my area, I know a couple of landlords that would totally work with you!
I will PM you, Crystal.
Crystal 01:04 PM 01-29-2013
You do often give good advice, as do I. I am not from Cali, and it seems that your rules are pretty strict and you are closely monitored. Not the case here in my state.

And I do NOT appreciate you calling me unethical or accuse me of doing something illegal. My licensor was AWARE of what I was doing at the time, and was FINE with it. I have never broken a law on purpose, or at all, for that matter. You don't know me, and really need to get a grip.
When I said that it was in reply to your post stating that....you did it, your still open, it worked out fine. Never did you say that your licensor was aware of it, hence my reason for thinking you were doing it illegally. My apologies, however you should be more clear if you don't want it assumed that you are being unethical/illegal.

I agree, you do often give good advice, just not this time
Angelsj 06:59 PM 01-29-2013
Do assistants not count? Or allow you to have more children?
daycare 07:24 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Do assistants not count? Or allow you to have more children?
Yes they count but only if you are operating off of a large license.
So in her case she is on a small license. Which means 8 kids max even if she has an assistant or 20.
Angelsj 05:49 AM 01-30-2013
Yes they count but only if you are operating off of a large license.
So in her case she is on a small license. Which means 8 kids max even if she has an assistant or 20.
Well that stinks. I don't know how you people in CA do it. I think I would have given up trying to keep up with all the regs out there.
Blackcat31 06:11 AM 01-30-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Well that stinks. I don't know how you people in CA do it. I think I would have given up trying to keep up with all the regs out there.
I know right? Every time I read a post about some rediculous or weird rule a state imposes on providers, I TRULY appreciate how our state does things.
bunnyslippers 06:21 AM 01-30-2013
I find the differing rules from state to state really baffling! How can there be such a discrepancy in what is safe for a home daycare? One state allows 16 kids, another only 6. I would think it would be a blanket policy, as kids are kids and safety is safety.
Kimberli 06:38 AM 01-30-2013
I find the differing rules from state to state really baffling! How can there be such a discrepancy in what is safe for a home daycare? One state allows 16 kids, another only 6. I would think it would be a blanket policy, as kids are kids and safety is safety.

Tags:assistant, policy - liability, ratio - over limit
Reply Up