Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:41 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Default Condiment Write-off

I just started using the food program this month. Since it appears I don't claim condiments like ranch and ketchup for the food program can I buy bottles exclusively for daycare use and write off the entire cost on my taxes?
Thanks for the help!
Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Where Children Grow

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidae View Post
I just started using the food program this month. Since it appears I don't claim condiments like ranch and ketchup for the food program can I buy bottles exclusively for daycare use and write off the entire cost on my taxes?
Thanks for the help!
Either that, or if your family wants to use it, use your t/s %

I think.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:52 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG123 View Post
Either that, or if your family wants to use it, use your t/s %

I think.
Yup, I think that's right.

I think
Old 01-19-2011, 09:26 AM
Business Author/Trainer

Default Condiments

If you are using the standard meal allowance rate you can't deduct other food expenses such as condiments. The cost of condiments is included in the rate. Never use your time-space % on the cost of food! Either use the standard meal allowance rate or an actual food expense method. If you are using the actual food expense menu you must keep receipts of all food purchased (business and personal) and estimate your actual food costs. You can do this by buying food separately, calculating your own average cost per business meal, and so on. I list 5 different ways to do this in my Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Child Care Provider

Now, if you are going to use the condiments for an activity, then you can claim them as an activity expense. I would want to see a picture of the activity as proof though, LOL. The Recording Keeping book Tom's talking about it very helpful when talking about food expenses.

Tags
condiment, write offs