Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Awwwww, Nuts!
cheerfuldom 01:53 PM 06-17-2012
I had two interviews set up for this week and both have cancelled already. I was finally getting a little bit of interest after lowering my rates by $10 per week.

One set up the interview time and then cancelled the next day, saying they had already picked someone that day (or the day before?), which was the first day they started looking from my understanding. I was a little shocked that they didnt shop around at least a little.

Then the second cancelled because she had an issue with my time off....2 weeks of paid vacation, all the usual holidays, plus the parent being responsible for alternate care in the case of emergency (which is super, super rare!). Everyone around here takes the same holidays for the most part and paid vacation is very common as well. She said she needed me to be available basically 100% of the time because they had no backup plan. If I cant commit to that, than they had to keep looking. So, of course, the interview was cancelled.

Boooooo!
Blackcat31 03:28 PM 06-17-2012
Aw, sorry Cheer! Keep your head up and keep trying...I am sure the right fit will come along when it is meant to be.

Try to see the positives and be glad you didn't enroll and then find out the parent was gonna be snippy about your vacations. It is one thing to lower your rate to lure in clients but dont you dare give up your time off!

I am all for being flexible and accommodating but wee shouldn't have to give 110% just to stay in business...kwim?

Have you thought about maybe doing something like an Open House BBQ or something similar to garner interest? Maybe even do a Parent Night Out for families who are NOT already enrolled in your program so they can see how you are with their child etc.?

Maybe go down to the local library or YMCA or some place similar and see if you can partner up with them to offer a free hour of your services while the parents use the businesse's services just to get your name out there.....

I know you are well established and all but the newer groups of parents just entering into the child raising field might not know you or your name yet.

Anything to get out in the community. I have a friend who made helium balloons with her daycare info on it and she and her own children spent a whole afternoon outside Wal-mart handing out balloons to families leaving the store.

I'll be sending yo good thoughts and wishes for some good clients to come along soon!
cheerfuldom 05:48 PM 06-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Aw, sorry Cheer! Keep your head up and keep trying...I am sure the right fit will come along when it is meant to be.

Try to see the positives and be glad you didn't enroll and then find out the parent was gonna be snippy about your vacations. It is one thing to lower your rate to lure in clients but dont you dare give up your time off!

I am all for being flexible and accommodating but wee shouldn't have to give 110% just to stay in business...kwim?

Have you thought about maybe doing something like an Open House BBQ or something similar to garner interest? Maybe even do a Parent Night Out for families who are NOT already enrolled in your program so they can see how you are with their child etc.?

Maybe go down to the local library or YMCA or some place similar and see if you can partner up with them to offer a free hour of your services while the parents use the businesse's services just to get your name out there.....

I know you are well established and all but the newer groups of parents just entering into the child raising field might not know you or your name yet.

Anything to get out in the community. I have a friend who made helium balloons with her daycare info on it and she and her own children spent a whole afternoon outside Wal-mart handing out balloons to families leaving the store.

I'll be sending yo good thoughts and wishes for some good clients to come along soon!
Thanks for your ideas and support! Thats really nice of you. I will be doing a new sign in our neighborhood this week, which last time brought in a new child. I will also be paying a teenager to go door to door to pass out flyers. Its cheaper than trying to get addresses for a mailing list and then mailing out. I really would like at least one more child, but I could do two more, so its not like I need this huge event but I absolutely have to do something here. I figured I would try 50 flyers with the teen and see what happens.....
cheerfuldom 06:23 AM 06-20-2012
Crazy update!

mom #2 came back today via email and said after researching options for a few days, she realizes that what I am asking for as far as time off/holidays is not out of the norm. She apologized for cancelling the interview and would like to set up one this week. She also said that my emails and contract were very helpful in getting her expectations to a realistic place, as far as what home daycares do provide in my area. I thought it was very respectful and will go ahead with the interview. I sort of thought she might be back when she came to her senses so this whole time I was super helpful but not changing my policies for her. I would imagine she saw some scary daycares in my area that ask for all the same time off but have high ratios, bad location, or very little in the way of services above just letting the kids watch TV all day. Some of my "competition" is at a very poor standard.
Breezy 06:36 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Crazy update!

mom #2 came back today via email and said after researching options for a few days, she realizes that what I am asking for as far as time off/holidays is not out of the norm. She apologized for cancelling the interview and would like to set up one this week. She also said that my emails and contract were very helpful in getting her expectations to a realistic place, as far as what home daycares do provide in my area. I thought it was very respectful and will go ahead with the interview. I sort of thought she might be back when she came to her senses so this whole time I was super helpful but not changing my policies for her. I would imagine she saw some scary daycares in my area that ask for all the same time off but have high ratios, bad location, or very little in the way of services above just letting the kids watch TV all day. Some of my "competition" is at a very poor standard.
That's awesome! Nothing wrong with getting a reality check and then admitting she was wrong!
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 06-20-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
Crazy update!

That is awesome!

Another wonderful example of holding fast to your policies and not just caving in to get a client!

So happy for you! Sending good vibes and wishes that she signs on and you get a wonderful new client that obviously knows the value of good communication!
Reply Up