Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bag of Tricks
Josiegirl 03:53 AM 03-02-2018
When the group is fidgety, getting in trouble, nothing seems to work....what kinds of things do you have up your sleeve, to catch their attention and redirect their full moon madness?
Cat Herder 06:05 AM 03-02-2018
I turn off the lights, toss a dark sheet over the dome climber, unfurl the 4 way tunnel, pass out flashlights and get out of the way.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 03-02-2018
Outside.

Even if it takes us 20 minutes to get dressed just to be outside for 10.

It makes a ton of difference.
Homebody 07:15 AM 03-02-2018
If its nice out we go outside. If we are stuck inside, then we turn on some music, get out the music instruments, and dance and sing. Play doh, coloring, or an art project.

Recently I started doing yoga with them - youtube has videos called "Cosmic Kids Yoga" and they love it! The lady on the video tells a story as she shows different poses that go along with the story. The other day we watched the "Going on a Bear Hunt" video and they had a blast! Even my toddler was into it.
Tin Blues 08:17 AM 03-02-2018
Music with lots of movement. Scarves and rhythm sticks. Or I’ll pull something special out of the closet that I haven’t had out in a while.
mamamanda 10:21 AM 03-02-2018
Simon says (& we get really silly), or I describe an object in the room & they all have to find it, or they gather around while I "draw" a picture with my finger & they try to guess what I'm drawing, basically anything to redirect their attention & help their focus.
KSDC 07:46 PM 03-03-2018
I second and third going outside!

But, on those days that weather wont' let us out...

Action songs! I have several CDs with everything from Bear Hunt to Bean Bag Dances.
Or I play music on the piano and do freeze dance with them.

Or, if I want a little bit quieter redirection, play-dough is great. Something about rolling and squeezing the playdough works out the crazies and the grumps.
Ariana 10:02 PM 03-03-2018
I have a story called “captain Frankfurter and the Legend of Tunablubber”. I made it up one day and have been telling it for the past 10 years. Kids find it riveting and will sit through the entire thing. Works like a charm. They ask for the story all the time but I only pull it out when desperate
Ariana 10:03 PM 03-03-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I turn off the lights, toss a dark sheet over the dome climber, unfurl the 4 way tunnel, pass out flashlights and get out of the way.
This is awesome! Totally gonna do this
mamamanda 08:35 AM 03-04-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I have a story called “captain Frankfurter and the Legend of Tunablubber”. I made it up one day and have been telling it for the past 10 years. Kids find it riveting and will sit through the entire thing. Works like a charm. They ask for the story all the time but I only pull it out when desperate
Would you be willing to share it?
Ariana 04:59 PM 03-04-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Would you be willing to share it?
I tell it from memory so it is not written anywhere!
Tags:activities - age appropriate, redirection
Reply Up