Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With Term Letter During Trial Period
Homebody 07:57 AM 05-06-2018
I'm not sure how to word this term letter, and its my first time terming. It's actually for an older sibling (a SA) of an infant I started caring for. They are both in the trial period and I'm only wanting to term the SA. I hadn't planned on taking another SA, but when interviewing for the infant the mom asked if I could watch her daughter too on Friday's only when school is not in session. I was caught off guard and went ahead and said yes. There have been two Friday's now that mom has said she needed me to watch daughter, but the night before both times has said daughter has decided to go to grandparents instead. I have two other SA's that are aging out this month, and I won't have any other SA's besides daughter (who I have yet to even watch). I have decided I don't want to provide care for SA's anymore, or offer drop in care. I'm just not sure how to write the letter to mom (I would still be offering care for the infant). Thanks for any help.
storybookending 02:59 PM 05-06-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
I'm not sure how to word this term letter, and its my first time terming. It's actually for an older sibling (a SA) of an infant I started caring for. They are both in the trial period and I'm only wanting to term the SA. I hadn't planned on taking another SA, but when interviewing for the infant the mom asked if I could watch her daughter too on Friday's only when school is not in session. I was caught off guard and went ahead and said yes. There have been two Friday's now that mom has said she needed me to watch daughter, but the night before both times has said daughter has decided to go to grandparents instead. I have two other SA's that are aging out this month, and I won't have any other SA's besides daughter (who I have yet to even watch). I have decided I don't want to provide care for SA's anymore, or offer drop in care. I'm just not sure how to write the letter to mom (I would still be offering care for the infant). Thanks for any help.
The child has never been to your daycare then before? Is it assumed that she comes Fridays or is it by availability? Can you just say you are full or could you just put out a general notice to all families that you are no longer taking school aged kids?
Homebody 04:02 PM 05-06-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
The child has never been to your daycare then before? Is it assumed that she comes Fridays or is it by availability? Can you just say you are full or could you just put out a general notice to all families that you are no longer taking school aged kids?
Mom asked if she could attend on days (Fridays only) school is not in session. I told her she could, but now I no longer want to offer this. After my other 2 SA's leave this month I won't have anything other families that have SA besides this mom. I'm just not sure how to word the email to her.
storybookending 08:03 PM 05-06-2018
I would word it as if it was a notice that got sent out to everyone even if you only end up giving it to the one mom. Just very general.

Dear Families,
Due to our program being restructured ABC Daycare will no longer be enrolling school aged children. The last day that we will be able to provide care for school aged children is XX/XX/2018.
Thanks,
Provider

I would put the date of the last day scheduled for the 2 that you have aging out in the blanks. She will then see that you aren’t just singling her out but as a whole not taking older children as she won’t be seeing the ones you do have anymore anyways.

Do you feel she will be upset and pull her other child if they can’t be in the same place? Where does the child go Mon-Thurs if there is no school?
Homebody 05:44 AM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I would word it as if it was a notice that got sent out to everyone even if you only end up giving it to the one mom. Just very general.

Dear Families,
Due to our program being restructured ABC Daycare will no longer be enrolling school aged children. The last day that we will be able to provide care for school aged children is XX/XX/2018.
Thanks,
Provider

I would put the date of the last day scheduled for the 2 that you have aging out in the blanks. She will then see that you aren’t just singling her out but as a whole not taking older children as she won’t be seeing the ones you do have anymore anyways.

Do you feel she will be upset and pull her other child if they can’t be in the same place? Where does the child go Mon-Thurs if there is no school?
Thank you thats a good idea to send out as if sending to everyone. I was concerned about being too wordy. That's pretty simple and straightforward. I'm not sure if she will be upset. She doesn't work Monday through Thursday. She just needs care on Fridays. So, if she does pull her other child it won't be a big deal since its not full time.
storybookending 06:36 AM 05-07-2018
Originally Posted by Homebody:
Thank you thats a good idea to send out as if sending to everyone. I was concerned about being too wordy. That's pretty simple and straightforward. I'm not sure if she will be upset. She doesn't work Monday through Thursday. She just needs care on Fridays. So, if she does pull her other child it won't be a big deal since its not full time.
Ah gotcha! Good luck!
Tags:termination letter, trial period - termination
Reply Up