Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This is driving me CRAZY!
cheerfuldom 11:04 AM 07-30-2012
More and more and MORE people looking for an "education based" program for infants? What are they even expecting to see a person do with an infant that is curriculum based? we are talking young babies too....4 to 8 months old.
Truly Scrumptious 11:13 AM 07-30-2012
Funshine Express has "Buttercups" for ages 6-36 months. You can look at a sample of the curriculum. It might give you some ideas.
Heidi 11:20 AM 07-30-2012
I'm with you on that. Lesson plans for infants=just plain crazy. Magda Gerber is rolling over in her grave!
cheerfuldom 11:25 AM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
Funshine Express has "Buttercups" for ages 6-36 months. You can look at a sample of the curriculum. It might give you some ideas.
I am slightly familiar with this program and the contents of the "kits" and I dont see a 6 month old being able to participate in 95% of the curriculum. Perhaps they can watch and be entertained for a bit while the teacher is talking to the kids, maybe play with any toys included but certainly not going to be doing any of the crafts and other activities included. I really dont see that option being that appropriate for kids under about 18 months.
GotKids 11:40 AM 07-30-2012
I use these with our babies. They are simple and fun. No real planning needed either http://www.highreach.com/highreach_c...8/Default.aspx
cheerfuldom 11:42 AM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by GotKids:
I use these with our babies. They are simple and fun. No real planning needed either http://www.highreach.com/highreach_c...8/Default.aspx
I guess I can see this being something of an option....it really doesnt seem that different than having the babies join in a typical circle time though.
GotKids 11:46 AM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I guess I can see this being something of an option....it really doesnt seem that different than having the babies join in a typical circle time though.
these are really more a one on one thing. They aren't the only way to do things by any measure but I have found them good ways for my assistants to interact with the babies, the parents feel involved when we can tell them what their baby did and the purpose of it. It really flows nice into helping parents understand the benefit of play learning.
Sugar Magnolia 11:49 AM 07-30-2012
"Yes, I offer that. My infants are encouraged to explore their world and develop skills through use of basic manipulates and age appropriate materials (toys), they learn gross motor skills through creative exercise times (floor tine), and get immersed in language and learn literacy skills through being read to and talked to throughout the day. At Miss Cheerfull's Home Daycare, all children in care learn through creative play and an interesting and supportive environment. When children in my care reach preschool age, our play and activities also include introduction to written number and letter recognition, basic math concepts such as sorting and patterning, and basic literacy principles such as reading from left to right and associating written words with concepts."

Yes, this is all fancy talk for doing what you already do. You read them stories right? "language development". You play legos, right? "fine motor skills". You sing and dance, right? "teacher led activity that promotes language and gross motor skills". You let them play kitchen? "imaginative play that encourages social skills." I am not advocating lying about offering an educational curriculum. I AM advocating taking what you do best and putting it into words that parents hear. They don't want to hear "we play toys and have fun together." They want to hear educational words that let them know their child will, in fact, be learning important skills to be ready for school.

Check out Beyond Centers and Circle Time and its infant toddler companion Beyond Cribs and Rattles. This is a curriculum, but not one that includes lesson plans
Blackcat31 01:10 PM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
"Yes, I offer that. My infants are encouraged to explore their world and develop skills through use of basic manipulates and age appropriate materials (toys), they learn gross motor skills through creative exercise times (floor tine), and get immersed in language and learn literacy skills through being read to and talked to throughout the day. At Miss Cheerfull's Home Daycare, all children in care learn through creative play and an interesting and supportive environment. When children in my care reach preschool age, our play and activities also include introduction to written number and letter recognition, basic math concepts such as sorting and patterning, and basic literacy principles such as reading from left to right and associating written words with concepts."

Yes, this is all fancy talk for doing what you already do. You read them stories right? "language development". You play legos, right? "fine motor skills". You sing and dance, right? "teacher led activity that promotes language and gross motor skills". You let them play kitchen? "imaginative play that encourages social skills." I am not advocating lying about offering an educational curriculum. I AM advocating taking what you do best and putting it into words that parents hear. They don't want to hear "we play toys and have fun together." They want to hear educational words that let them know their child will, in fact, be learning important skills to be ready for school.
Check out Beyond Centers and Circle Time and its infant toddler companion Beyond Cribs and Rattles. This is a curriculum, but not one that includes lesson plans
Respectful, responsive, relationship based care IS curriculum for infants/toddlers.
cheerfuldom 03:26 PM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Respectful, responsive, relationship based care IS curriculum for infants/toddlers.
I agree. My issue is with parents that want to see visible, tangible progress through an official curriculum, with educational goals being met. I cant imagine that they will find what they are looking for when it comes to infants, even toddlers.

I understand sort of re-wording your activities in parent-speak so that they have that assurance that what your do on a daily basis IS educational for youngsters.
Sugar Magnolia 03:51 PM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
exactly this!
Childminder 04:18 PM 07-30-2012
Research HighScope Curriculum, it is a play based curriculum and you probably do it anyway. Check it out and maybe take a couple of trainings online or whatever and then you can say you are a teaching program. Most Head Start programs are High Scope and it is international also.
Reply Up