Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Your Tricks For A Gassy Baby Please
BumbleBee 11:15 AM 08-26-2013
My new dck has been a dream baby. Content, happy, social, sleeps well, only cries when hungry---until today.

Poor lil bug has a hard belly (on and off. She'll be fine then whammo-screamzilla & hard belly. Lasts for about 15 min, then back to happy baby. Repeat every 30 min for 2 hrs after feeding (today at least. Mom is bf and went to an anniversary celebration this weekend. I'm guessing she ate something that isn't agreeing w/baby)

Anywho, what are your tried and true techniques for gassy babies?
melilley 11:22 AM 08-26-2013
Sounds strange, but this has for me. Put your arm out, palm facing up. Lay the baby on your forearm with her stomach on it and her head in your hand. Like the position you have to do to do if they are choking (without the thrusts of course..lol). This has worked for me for many babies! It seems to be a relief to them. Beware though, some toots may come your way!
Cradle2crayons 11:28 AM 08-26-2013
We use gripe water...

We also put them in the vibrating bouncer while moving their legs up and down like riding a bicycle.

Warm compresses on their tummy
Childminder 11:29 AM 08-26-2013
Push their legs gently into their tummy bending their knees as you do. Sometimes their sphincter muscle just wont open so they can get rid of gas. Also burping, in the sitting position bending back an forth at the waist or high up on your shoulder so that there is pressure on the tummy when you pat.
BumbleBee 01:59 PM 08-26-2013
Thank you all! Now I have some more tricks in my bag for next time. Momma ate some cabbage this weekend so we're thinking that's where the issue is. Time will tell. Thanks again!
Familycare71 03:03 PM 08-26-2013
I will bring the babies knees o the chest and walk/soft jiggle with the baby facing out, lay the baby across my lap tummy down with a soft rock/ jiggle, bicycle the baby's legs, Hold the baby tummy down on my arm (hand by the head, legs on either side of my elbow) head slightly down - sort of what PP said by I hold close to my torso- and massaging the tummy in the direction of the large intestine ( I always have to look it up but think start from lower left, up to ribs, over to the right then down)...
Meeko 10:03 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
We use gripe water...

We also put them in the vibrating bouncer while moving their legs up and down like riding a bicycle.

Warm compresses on their tummy
Gripe water = pure magic
BumbleBee 10:54 AM 08-27-2013
Lil bug is all better today :-) Thanks everyone. I love having more tricks in my bag!
Lkurtyak 11:09 AM 08-27-2013
In case it happens again, boil some caraway seeds in water, strain them and give them the "tea" mixed with sugar or kayro syrup. I used to just put it in with my daughter's formula. It works crazy fast and is all natural.
Laurel 11:32 AM 08-27-2013
Glad it is good for now. The drugstore used to sell gas drops just for this. I can't remember the name of them though. Not sure if they are still around. Just ask the pharmacist but no prescription needed. You just use the dropper and slip it in the side of their mouth.

I just use pharmacists for all sorts of information. They have a wealth of it. One time one even diagnosed my sore thumb and he was right!

Laurel
itlw8 02:40 PM 08-27-2013
cabbage is a big no no if It has not happened before then it is easy to fix she needs to stay away from cabbage broccoli cauliflower and she should read the list again of what not to eat and follow it.
Tags:gassy
Reply Up