Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bad Daycare I Just Started Working At
Unregistered 07:05 PM 07-16-2019
So I've noticed some problems with the daycare but I just started last Friday... One thing I noticed is that they put the kids in the highchair when they miss behave. One of the ladies holds one of the toddlers down to get him to sleep. Like holds him down with the blanket on his head (she said he likes it like that). They let the babies cry in the infant room and leave them in the bouncers and kinda rock them to keep falling asleep. Like they just want all the babies to sleep. 6 month old crying in the bouncer I took her out and played with her. Also, The infant teachers were MISERABLE! no hello or smile.

One of the teachers (and probably more) are not qualified. They got lead teachers who haven't even completed their introductory certificate. And a lot of the teachers use one of the teachers as a scared tactic. Like if a kid is not being nice they will ask the kid if they want that teacher to come in and the kid gets scared and says no and listens. I saw like two teachers pick up some kids by their arm!

Teachers get free daycare and can bring their kid in their classroom (even if not of age) they don't watch the monitors (previous teacher arrested on child abuse charges). Idk, I just started and I already hate it! Oh, and the lead teacher brought out some worksheets and dead-ass let the kids "work" on them for like 5 minutes. It was a shape worksheet and none of the kids were even doing it right and she wasn't explaining it to them.

They basically play all day and sleep for like 2 hours. These are 2/3 y/o. Idk what to do. I need a job should I wait a few months and then leave and anonymously report them? Also, a lot of the kids are foster. And the owner straight up told me the kids she didn't like and her least favorite rooms. I always hear kids screaming somewhere and crying. They have a gold seal!
Kimskiddos 09:30 AM 07-17-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They basically play all day and sleep for like 2 hours. These are 2/3 y/o. Idk what to do.
With all due respect, this IS what 2 and 3yo should be doing. Also worksheets are not developmentally appropriate for kiddos this young either, so just "coloring" seems OK to me. I work colors and shapes into our play and discussions.

Sorry you have to deal with the rest.
AmyKidsCo 01:34 PM 07-17-2019
ITA that all 2 and 3 year olds need to do is play, eat and sleep.

The other things are concerning. You should probably report specific problems to licensing. If you're not comfortable doing that you may want to look for a different job before someone else reports it and you're swept along in the mess.
Ariana 10:08 PM 07-17-2019
Report them if you see, hear or think abuse. You have a duty to report. These poor kids
CeriBear 06:05 AM 07-18-2019
2-3 year olds should be playing when they are not eating or sleeping. Kids can learn through play. My kids are a bit older 3-4 but aside from circle times ( morning and afternoon) they spend the most of the day playing or doing art. Never worksheets.

Some of your observations concern me. Holding down a toddlers head with blanket over it—not a good idea. Why not pat his back or gently rub his head. And teachers bringing their own child into the room if not of age—not a good idea. What if 4 year old Johnny picks up and drops 8 month old Jenny.

I think your first step should be to report your observations to the director. However, if you suspect actual abuse you need to contact the authorities. As a childcare provider you are a mandated reporter.
Unregistered 02:59 PM 07-18-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Report them if you see, hear or think abuse. You have a duty to report. These poor kids
Can you offer me advice to this?

've been on here before. So I just start work on Friday. I've noticed some things the unqualified lead teacher does. For starters, her kid is in the class so that's automatic favoritism. Today she saw her kid hit a kid and said, "I didn't see anything haha." Then her kid got hit by another kid with a block and she said, "THEY hit *name* with a truck." Odd choice of words don't you think? Why'd she refer to a kid as they? Instead of his name?

Then I asked her, "is *name* had anymore of his food left" (they usally eats a lot for lunch and was still hungry) she said " there's nothing left." There was the other half of his sandwich left. I told the other teacher and she said, "Well sometimes we say that so they can have a snack for later." ????.

I also notice that she unfairly treats a kid (the sandwich kid) and always put them in time out for literally no reason. They're just hyper. And it looks a little rough when she grabs them.

Also she doesn't fill out ALL the incidents reports as needed. She told me to leave sandwich kid in the highchair (form of discipline there) and just let them cry is out because "their parents said to do that so they'll learn" BUT How can they learn if they didn't do anything?! I'm not gonna let a kid cry. She also holds sandwich kid down during nap with a blanket over their head and said "they told me to do this for him." It looks hard she said, "i was scared to do it at first but you gotta."

I literally just started and I don't want to start something but I think I'm going to tell the director tomorrow and tell her I have a concern. How should I do it? Advice?

THis is a VERY SMALL and family owned daycare so word spreads fast. Please help me. I'll just say, "I don't wanna start something but I need to voice my concerns..."

I'm calling the kid they because I don't wanna disclose gender
Ariana 06:12 PM 07-18-2019
My guess is that the director already knows and doesn’t care so be prepared for her not doing anything if you voice concerns. None of what you have described is outright abuse in my opinion but I cannot see how this is right under licensing regulations. I would point blank ask the director what licensing says about it because you were thinking of calling to clarify.

No matter what you do you are “going to start something” because no one likes their authority questioned. I once worked at a daycare where a child vomited every day during nap time. My first shift the child barfed and no one did anything, they were going to let her sit there in her own vomit as a lesson. They told me she should sit in it to learn not to do it Bewildered, baffled and angry I went and got the child up, cleaned her up, cleaned her cot and layed her back down for her nap. I told the teachers off for what they were doing and in my case it never happened again...and the child never barfed again. I didn’t bother to tell the supervisor. Sometimes taking matters into your own hands and speaking up helps.
Blackcat31 06:27 AM 07-19-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
She also holds sandwich kid down during nap with a blanket over their head and said "they told me to do this for him." It looks hard she said, "i was scared to do it at first but you gotta."
Originally Posted by Ariana:
None of what you have described is outright abuse in my opinion but I cannot see how this is right under licensing regulations.
The statement OP made above IS outright abuse.

Poster also mentioned this same child being in a high chair so to me they are young enough to use a high chair and physically holding a child down with a blanket over their head rough enough that the teacher actually admitted to being afraid to do it at first is alarming!

If I knew where this was happening I'd be calling CPS like right this second!!
Ariana 11:14 AM 07-19-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
The statement OP made above IS outright abuse.

Poster also mentioned this same child being in a high chair so to me they are young enough to use a high chair and physically holding a child down with a blanket over their head rough enough that the teacher actually admitted to being afraid to do it at first is alarming!

If I knew where this was happening I'd be calling CPS like right this second!!
On second thought I agree! I think when I read it I had something different pictured in my head. To me her saying she was afraid to do it made it seem like she was not really forcing him but I think you are right.
Josiegirl 04:38 AM 07-20-2019
YOU have to take a stand for the child, be the advocate and do the right thing. Not what the workers are doing or the parents are telling them to do, but what you feel is in the best interest for the child. Parents can tell you to lay the baby down with a bottle for naps, let them sleep in a bouncer or swing or wrapped up in blankets but you KNOW those things can be dangerous so you don't do them. Same with wrapping a child's head under a blanket for nap.
I would come right out and tell your employer you have major concerns with doing it this way and will find an alternative. If they don't like being questioned, I'd expect to be fired or seek other employment. I'd also call your state and run the question by them to see if it falls under the label of abuse; it's always good to get their opinion and let them sort out whether it needs to be investigated or not.
Our food program sponsor used to be a provider and in between jobs, worked at a 'small center' for awhile. She witnessed some horrible things and called them on it a few times, called the state also, told her co-workers that if they were doing as told they were no better than the owner. She didn't last long.
Kolika 08:22 AM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
YOU have to take a stand for the child, be the advocate and do the right thing. Not what the workers are doing or the parents are telling them to do, but what you feel is in the best interest for the child. Parents can tell you to lay the baby down with a bottle for naps, let them sleep in a bouncer or swing or wrapped up in blankets but you KNOW those things can be dangerous so you don't do them. Same with wrapping a child's head under a blanket for nap.
I would come right out and tell your employer you have major concerns with doing it this way and will find an alternative. If they don't like being questioned, I'd expect to be fired or seek other employment. I'd also call your state and run the question by them to see if it falls under the label of abuse; it's always good to get their opinion and let them sort out whether it needs to be investigated or not.
Our food program sponsor used to be a provider and in between jobs, worked at a 'small center' for awhile. She witnessed some horrible things and called them on it a few times, called the state also, told her co-workers that if they were doing as told they were no better than the owner. She didn't last long.
I think I'm just gonna call and report it instead of going to the owner. What do you think?
Mike 08:59 AM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Kolika:
I think I'm just gonna call and report it instead of going to the owner. What do you think?
If I knew the owner, I would decide which way to go based on what kind of person the owner is, but since you probably don't know much about the owner yet, it's a tougher choice.

Probably best to call and report, anonymously if possible.
Kolika 10:01 AM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Mike:
Probably best to call and report, anonymously if possible.
I can't report it as an anon in my state. Not allowed for mandatory reporters unless I pose as a concerned parent. But all my info is confidential. This daycare had a worker in the past abusing kids and she got arrested. Parents called it in to report.
Josiegirl 02:09 PM 07-20-2019
Originally Posted by Kolika:
I can't report it as an anon in my state. Not allowed for mandatory reporters unless I pose as a concerned parent. But all my info is confidential. This daycare had a worker in the past abusing kids and she got arrested. Parents called it in to report.
What if you called the state with 'what if' questions? They may know your name but you don't have to name a specific place that you're calling about? At least, not until they say Yes, that's abusive or no, it's not.
No matter what, I do think I'd be looking for another job if possible because once you make the call, your employer will know.
I wish you the best of luck with whatever you do. Yours is not an easy place to be but you do have to do what's best for the children.
Tags:bad daycare, bad providers, center workers, mandated reporter, quitting daycare, reporting - daycare
Reply Up