Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gawwwwwwww I Don't Know What to Say!
mrsnj 06:50 AM 12-04-2019
I have an inhome and expanding to a center. We are only in the negotiations phase of the center. I'm working on all the behind the scenes stuff like state info, parent handbooks, webpages and supplies and my husband is setting up the info between the lawyer and realtor and owner and trying to lock down a good contract. We are leasing to own. Everyone is kinda dragging along cause...well...its the holidays and we are hitting closings and people going on trips etc. Well I have a daycare full of 3 year olds who, I'd like to say will stay with me if I remained here but they are the optimal age for leaving to full centers (for those that feel a center offers more KWIM?). My parents do not know about the expansion yet. I JUST got my first text message from a mom who is giving 4 weeks notice cause a center that they applied to for fall has a current opening. They are good clients and I love the child who attends and they were one of the parents I was setting up a letter for to come over. The center isn't far from moms work. I want to respond.....'wait!!!! Just give me about two months!!!!!' But I am afraid to cause I don't want my parents all knowing yet (and some of the parents who are here won't likely be coming due to location). I'm pretty sure if I told this mom what was happening she would come to us. I don't know what to do. Would you say something? I am heart broken right now. Add in that I still have to keep this business running till I move over. I don't want to interview for spots only to close two months from now! Feeling defeated and sad..........
Ac114 06:57 AM 12-04-2019
I would inform her and just tell her it’s confidential news right now because you are still in negotiations and not all your families will have the opportunity to follow you. If you trust this mom to stay quiet, I think it’s ok to inform her of the news.
Unregistered 07:13 AM 12-04-2019
I would ask if she signed on with the other daycare already before saying anything.
Snowmom 07:18 AM 12-04-2019
I don't think it's unprofessional to have a one-one conversation with her telling her your big news.
Just ask her to keep it confidential until you make your formal announcement in a few weeks.

Heck, since her work is so close, she may be able to bring in new clients for you too! The more free advertising, the better!
mrsnj 08:12 AM 12-04-2019
Would you even though tech you haven't signed the contracts yet? Thats what makes me hesitate. What if I tell her and this falls through and now shes out a spot? Or shes made the enrollment payment already? She says in the message she was looking for fall. The center just happens to have an opening now and they won't be starting until after the holidays mid Jan. While I am afraid of her talking with my other parents I honestly don't believe she is friends with any of them and I like her enough that I feel she wouldn't say anything even if so. This is my second attempt to open and the first time it fell through. So I have some PTSD and am scared of opening that door if this doesn't pan out. I don't want to lose current clients cause they think I am closing....I don't want to interview either for spots that might not be here a few months away......owe. I am so unsure. Id be much more confident if that contract was signed!!! I JUST made up her announcement letter too to invite them to the new center but was waiting on this contract.............
Unregistered 10:53 AM 12-04-2019
if I'm sure for 100% that my center will start working at the time that family needs it, I would share with that family about my plan. If I'm sure only for 99% or less, I wouldn't share.
mrsnj 11:31 AM 12-04-2019
Thanks everyone. I sucked it up and had her call me. She was like SERIOUSLY???!!! So she is going to talk to her husband tonight and let me know if they will stay. She said if its not ready to go in the fall she can just go to the other center but if I open soon she will just keep him with me....but she will talk with her husband about it tonight. OMG I was so stressed out. I haven't told ANYONE! NO ONE! The only ones who know is my BFF who is coming to work with me and my husband! (And I told her to keep it quiet and she agreed) If nothing else I am relieved to get that out! Thanks so much for chatting with me!! Now to get this center open....................
Snowmom 07:16 AM 12-05-2019
Originally Posted by mrsnj:
Thanks everyone. I sucked it up and had her call me. She was like SERIOUSLY???!!! So she is going to talk to her husband tonight and let me know if they will stay. She said if its not ready to go in the fall she can just go to the other center but if I open soon she will just keep him with me....but she will talk with her husband about it tonight. OMG I was so stressed out. I haven't told ANYONE! NO ONE! The only ones who know is my BFF who is coming to work with me and my husband! (And I told her to keep it quiet and she agreed) If nothing else I am relieved to get that out! Thanks so much for chatting with me!! Now to get this center open....................
Good luck!
Maybe things will go smoothly now that you've got the mindset that "it's really happening this time".
Tags:home to center
Reply Up