Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Nap Tantrums
WImom 10:38 AM 11-11-2010
what do you do? I can move to the next room but other than that I can't make them stop. The other kids can't sleep. This is the girls third day here and the other two days she layed quietly so not sure why not today. She's refusing to stay on mat and crying (She's 3.5y).

I already told her that she's not going to be able to get up and do quiet acitivites if she doesn't lay quietly.

any other tips?

I tried searching 'naps' and it just comes up at nothing found? So if this is a repeat please direct me to the right thread. sorry.
DancingQueen 10:42 AM 11-11-2010
stand firm.
I did this a few months back with a 3.5 year old girl.
she didn't believe me that she wouldn't get to participate in something if she couldn't lie down quietly.
But I followed through.
the next day I told her what the after nap activity would be and reminded her that she didn't have to nap but she had to be nice and quiet so everyone else could nap and it worked.
but it was hit or miss for 2 weeks
then they were no longer with me and all was right with naps again (sorry - not much help am I?)
SimpleMom 10:43 AM 11-11-2010
I find that to be very common when they first start up. should get better in a couple weeks. until then, I found that sitting with them, giving them books in another room or on their mats, a quiet movie(something boring) helps with the transition. Then slowly transition away from that and back to cots before quiet activities.
DancingQueen 10:45 AM 11-11-2010
sitting and rubbing backs - I forgot that trick.
Worked like a charm!
kitkat 11:07 AM 11-11-2010
Can you have her lay down earlier than the other kids? Maybe she'd be done throwing a fit by the time the others are ready for nap. Does she normally nap (at home or at the previous provider)? Telling her that she won't be able to participate is a great idea, she will eventually get it. Do you talk to her before nap time about what your expectation is? My very part time dcg (3yr old) would cry the first few times here (she doesn't nap at home or at grandma's). I started reminding her at lunch that when we take a nap, we don't cry at my house. There is nothing to be scared of and everyone needs to take a nap. It seems to help. Hang in there and stay firm...she'll catch on.
WImom 02:26 PM 11-11-2010
She doesn't normally but needs to. Mom said that the kids (also has brother here 2y old) have been so much better in the evenings now since they started with me and were napping. She did eventually cry herself to sleep and slept 1.5 hours.

I do the back rubbing thing which I did do. I usually go around and rub each child's back that wants me to for 2-3 minutes.

She's having trouble with all of my transitioning (Cleaning up, coming inside, etc). So I hope by the end of next week she will get the hang of it since they are here every day (M-F).
BentleysBands 06:10 PM 11-11-2010
i know someone you could ask
Tags:nap tantrums, sleep problems, tantrums
Reply Up