Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice....
dEHmom 08:06 AM 05-12-2011
i know there have been discussions on here before, but i just dont' have the time to search through...

how do you deal with a child, that has now graduated out of a crib, but at bedtime/naptime, won't stay in bed, just gets up and wanders around?

this is not daycare kid, but a friend of mine's child. at nighttime, she wakes up and plays and wanders around. they live in an older house, and putting the door knob things on won't work unless they change the doors and knobs.

i never really had to deal with this, a few times my kids would get up, but we always heard them and sent them back to bed.

i'm just looking for suggestions on how to teach a child to STAY IN BED, not get up when it's not time to be out of bed.
SimpleMom 08:34 AM 05-12-2011
I would put them back in the crib until they show me they can stay in their bed--if it were my --safety ussue. Another option would be to stay by the child, maybe sleep in the same room or use a monitor, and put them back into bed the second they get up. No talking, just lay them back down again and again until it sinks in that this is where they sleep. May take some time and exhaustion, but should be worth the effort.
missnikki 08:37 AM 05-12-2011
I would pick her up and put her in bed, no words or eye contact each time she did it. She would eventually learn that the next thing that happens when she gets curious is she gets to start over in her bed, not that she gets any attention.
melskids 08:40 AM 05-12-2011
my son climbed out of his crib and on to the top bunk of my older sons' bed AT 10 MONTHS OLD we are all deep sleepers and never heard a thing. i found him safe and sound asleep there in the morning. i won't even tell you how bad i freaked when i went to get him out of his crib and he wasnt there

not only did we take the bunk beds apart, we took the crib out and put his mattress on the floor for a while. i put a video monitor (borrowed from a friend) on him, and 2 baby gates in the doorway, one above the other, so he couldnt climb them.
sharlan 08:41 AM 05-12-2011
I would keep picking her up and putting her back into bed, no talking.

What about putting a kiddy gate across the child's door?
countrymom 08:47 AM 05-12-2011
they need to put a gate across the door and remove anything that the child would play with. My dd would sit in her bed and talk to steve and blue (from blues clues) for 2 hours a night, this went on for 6 months. At one point we thought our house was haunted because it was very creepy the way she talked to them. You would think that they were in her room.
does this child sleep walk, my ydd does this. She goes to the br and then can't find her way back to the room and ends up in my bed. She is out growing it but we have an alarm on our door because she tried to leave one time.
Live and Learn 09:08 AM 05-12-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:
i know there have been discussions on here before, but i just dont' have the time to search through...

how do you deal with a child, that has now graduated out of a crib, but at bedtime/naptime, won't stay in bed, just gets up and wanders around?

this is not daycare kid, but a friend of mine's child. at nighttime, she wakes up and plays and wanders around. they live in an older house, and putting the door knob things on won't work unless they change the doors and knobs.

i never really had to deal with this, a few times my kids would get up, but we always heard them and sent them back to bed.

i'm just looking for suggestions on how to teach a child to STAY IN BED, not get up when it's not time to be out of bed.
How old is this child?

Sounds like they moved him out of a crib too early.
dEHmom 09:13 AM 05-12-2011
she is almost 2 yo, and 3 week old baby in the house. dad works 2 jobs, and often gone till late at night. mom has a fussy baby, and is definitely lacking sleep so i assume once she falls asleep it's pretty deep sleep.

she always slept fine here on the beds, but i think the issue is she wakes up during the night and figures it's time to play, and starts playing.
SilverSabre25 09:14 AM 05-12-2011
I would definitely suggest baby gate/s across her door so she can't get out, as well as taking out any toys from her room and making it a very boring (and safe!) place to be.
dEHmom 09:22 AM 05-12-2011
thanks everyone, and i'm glad to see everyone is basically on the same page!

you know, i use baby gates in my house, and it never even dawned on me to suggest that.
KEG123 10:05 AM 05-12-2011
Back in the crib, with a crib tent, and a baby gate at the door!
dEHmom 10:20 AM 05-12-2011
i don't think a crib is an option for them. they dont' have the room, and their crib is occupied with a newborn as well. its a bit of a tight situation for the family. they just bought a home a few months ago, there isn't much for room right now. they are currently expanding a bit on the house to allow for more room so the kids can have a bigger room, and divided a bit so it's like their own rooms.
i know it sounds bad, but she basically sleeps in a large walk in closet right now. it's the size of a decent room, but it isn't exactly enough room to put a crib.
bice99 10:28 AM 05-12-2011
I have a DC family whose 17 month old sleeps in a port-a-crib in their closet. Same deal. 2 bedroom condo and a tween half sister at home so not much space to spread everyone out.
DCMom 10:30 AM 05-12-2011
My middle son woke up in the middle of the night for a long time, probably the whole year between 2 and 3 at least three times a week.

We had a wall-mounted, straight up and down slatted gate made to contain pets in his doorway that whole year, because he climbed the mesh kind and he pushed out the pressure kind.

We didn't have many toys in the bedroom; he would just do what ever he did. Most mornings we would find him curled up with his blanket and his Barney on his beanbag chair, lol.

He is 22 now and STILL a nightowl; I guess it was just his make up
dEHmom 10:33 AM 05-12-2011
i just had someone bark at me for saying the lock is a nono but the gate is ok! lol. she said it's no different the idea is to contain them in one room, not allowing them to move, so in an emergency, it's no different, they are sitting ducks until you get them.

true, but the difference is the door is closed and LOCKED whereas the gate allows an open door, just a tool to prevent wandering around.
Michael 11:03 PM 05-12-2011
Maybe some threads here will help: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=won%27t+sleep
dEHmom 05:50 AM 05-13-2011
i suggested the baby gate as mentioned above, and in conclusion, i was basically told to mind my own business. apparently i "took it too far" by telling someone what to do in their own home ??? although they understand i run a daycare and have to follow the rules.
safety apparently ISN'T the issue, its just a matter of her getting out of bed, and sleeping on the floor. while that is true, safety is ALWAYS an issue, but whatever.

my friend isn't mad though she said, she enjoyed the debate but apparently i ticked off her sister and another family member. hahahahaha!!! OK! so suggesting a baby gate and to remove all toys within that area is a bad thing and stepping over the line.

that's ok, i know now that advising someone that locking their child in a room is against fire code and could be considered as abuse, neglect or forceable confinement.

i'm a bit confused because the discussion of a lock on the door was going on when i stepped in just to say, be careful what you say, because it could be as i mentioned above, possibly illegal, but suggested a baby gate instead. yet it was me who started the confinement part of it, because she's not worried about that, just the getting out of bed and sleeping on the floor.

note to self...butt out
Tags:won't sleep
Reply Up