Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Second Question of the Day
karenb 09:02 AM 09-19-2018
Hello. I got some great advice with my earlier question. Hopefully I’ll get some help with this one. I have one DCK who brings his own food. To be honest his food is garbage. Nothing fresh or real. He’s not a picky kid at all. Loves fruit and veggies. I talked to the mom in the very beginning about food options. I’ll happily make meals and snacks. I charge an extra 15 a week if they choose this. She said that was to expensive and she’ll provide his food. Ok. No problem. The first week was ok for food choices. Since then it’s just been awful. Plus he’s hungry all the time. Today’s lunch bag consisted of 1 pack of fruit snacks, 1 package of crackers with peanut butter, and a microwave cup of macaroni and cheese. That’s it. I have him from 8:30 to 5:30. That’s no where near enough food for him. I end up giving him food from our food. But that’s not fair to the parents who do pay the extra money. So I guess my question is should I approach her again about the food? If so how should I do it? Plus her and the dad smoke. So I feel if they have money for cigarettes they have money for me to feed their kid. Help!!
Cat Herder 09:09 AM 09-19-2018
1. Do you keep meal counts and write it off at the end of the year? If you do, great. I only ask because it was year 3 before someone clued me in that I was losing $8000 a year in tax write-offs.

2. If my contract allowed her to bring food, I'd give her the print-off of what is required to fulfill state guidelines and tell her she must provide that or the added tuition.

3. January 1st I'd have all my clients sign a new, updated, contract getting rid of the food from home option.
Josiegirl 09:09 AM 09-19-2018
Did you send home a list of acceptable healthy choices? Have you thought about joining the food program to pay for everybody's meals and drop the charges for food altogether?
Welcome! I haven't seen your other question yet, just thought I'd say HI
karenb 09:17 AM 09-19-2018
So I looked into the food reimbursement. Because of my location I don’t qualify for a reimbursement. Well that’s not true. I do but it’s .48 each lunch and .19 each snack. It’s not worth all the paperwork I’d have to do. I plan on writing off the food for taxes. I have an accountant to figure out that stuff for me. That’s a great idea about sending home information on healthy food choices. I’ll try that. I just feel bad for this kid. Today I gave him strawberries, blueberries, and applesauce with his cup of mac and cheese. He was so happy to get the fruit!
Josiegirl 09:26 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by karenb:
So I looked into the food reimbursement. Because of my location I don’t qualify for a reimbursement. Well that’s not true. I do but it’s .48 each lunch and .19 each snack. It’s not worth all the paperwork I’d have to do. I plan on writing off the food for taxes. I have an accountant to figure out that stuff for me. That’s a great idea about sending home information on healthy food choices. I’ll try that. I just feel bad for this kid. Today I gave him strawberries, blueberries, and applesauce with his cup of mac and cheese. He was so happy to get the fruit!
I know many times convenient food is just that...convenient. But don't parents realize it's just as easy to wash some berries and throw them in a container?? Or wash an apple? And I highly doubt dcm would spend much more.
Of all the parents that have gone through my dc, especially school-agers that bring snack or lunches to school, then come here after, I've only known 1 dcp(no lie!!) who actually packed cucumbers/tomatoes/carrots/pepper strips/grapes/etc. Mostly it's been crap like pepperoni, the constant pb&j, cheese and crackers, chips, granola bars........

Yeh, I wouldn't bother with the FP if I wasn't on the highest tier either. Why do they do that??? It should be the same no matter where you live.
karenb 09:31 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
1. Do you keep meal counts and write it off at the end of the year? If you do, great. I only ask because it was year 3 before someone clued me in that I was losing $8000 a year in tax write-offs.

2. If my contract allowed her to bring food, I'd give her the print-off of what is required to fulfill state guidelines and tell her she must provide that or the added tuition.

3. January 1st I'd have all my clients sign a new, updated, contract getting rid of the food from home option.

I may be dumb but where do I find a print out for my state with food guidelines?
Blackcat31 09:46 AM 09-19-2018
Originally Posted by karenb:
I may be dumb but where do I find a print out for my state with food guidelines?
https://www.fns.usda.gov/cacfp/meals-and-snacks

Scroll down to where it says Meal Patterns.
Each age group has it's own...
boy_mom 10:01 AM 09-19-2018
Can you talk with her, letting her know that what she is packing is inadequate and going forward if you have to supplement his lunch, you will have to bill her?

I also agree with PP, I would send home a sheet on the components of a healthy lunch. My sons nursery school does not provide food but they have "lunch box requitements and guidelines"!
Cat Herder 10:04 AM 09-19-2018
If you get the kidkare program for $8 a month it will keep all your attendance, meal counts, time space, expenses, invoices and allow you to print it all out easily at the end of the year. Even parent tax forms. Yes, the program can be super frustrating since the "upgrade" but I think you will be shocked at how much in deductions you may be entitled to.

I am not on the food program so I don't bother filling out all the menu stuff. You can start today and backtrack all the way to January 1st fairly quickly from attendance sheets.

Just about everything you buy for your home (cleaning supplies, TP, mulch) plus all your utilities, etc can be deducted at your time/space ratio. All the time you spend after/before hours can be calculated in, too. Tax deductions are one of the biggest perks of having a home daycare.
daycarediva 10:54 AM 09-19-2018
Could it be this family cannot afford the increased cost OR supplying food?

More children go hungry than we realize.

If that is the case, I would feed the child and help the parent find assistance for food.

If not, then I would be turning mom away at the door to get food before dropping off.
Tags:food from home, food from outside, meal deductions, usda, usda food program
Reply Up