Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Two Moms Pregnant - Opening For Only One..
DanceMom 01:38 PM 02-27-2012
I have no idea what to do - Who to terminate to make room !!
I have two moms who are currently pregnant - due around the same time - I have an opening only for one of the kids..my next infant opening isnt until a year later...

How do you decide ?? All the parents are great, the kids are great, all respectful, great hours -I have no idea what to do !!

Anyone in this situation before? What did you do ?
Reply
SD DaycareMOM 01:50 PM 02-27-2012
Luckily, I have not had this come up yet, but have thought a lot about it just in case! If it happened to me, the choice on who to give the infant spot to would be very difficult, but I would not flat out terminate either one. I would go off of either who told me they were expecting first, or who had enrolled first, though I realize that may not help if one told you first, but the other one has been enrolled longer.

Whichever family you decide you won't have room for, I would at least give them the option of keeping their older kid(s) in your program while waiting for a spot for the baby, even if it won't be for another year. They may be willing to make it work until you can have them both. And you just never know, you may have a spot open up sooner than you expect.
Reply
bice99 01:57 PM 02-27-2012
And who knows, sometimes moms take off more time than planned. Don't terminate either one. When are they due?
Reply
daycare 02:04 PM 02-27-2012
Seniority rules in my daycare.

The spot would go to whoever was here the longest with the best track record. Be sure to tell the family that you can't take the baby at least 2 months prior to delivery and be ready for them to pull the other kid out.

I have had this happen twice now.....
Reply
wdmmom 02:05 PM 02-27-2012
Don't worry about it.

I too had this come up a couple months ago. I have 1 leaving for school so I will have 1 infant opening and 1 DCM due March (going back in June) and another DCM (longest running client) due July.

Turns out DCM due in July isn't going back to work and if she does, it's 2 days a month. (Which I won't do.) So it was nothing to worry about.

Until one of them comes forward and asks for an interview, offers a deposit to hold the spot, etc, I wouldn't initiate any conversation with them.

Too much could happen before now and then that could potentially cost you money. Keep things on the down-low until you know FOR SURE.
Reply
DanceMom 02:18 PM 02-27-2012
One is Due in august and another is due in Oct. They both have told me they want to enroll their babies, yes I know things can change in a minute, change tomorrow, change 5 months from now, I don't plan to terminate anyone right now, and I will give whoever at least a 60-90 day notice. I am just trying to get a feel for what the best practice would be in this situation.

All my families are a two child family ( or will be ) - I am OK financially if I lose anyone.

I'm just curious - What "typically" rules ( in your world ) - seniority ? Money ? Hours ? Crap families ( obviously easy choice )

Some of my older families who are no longer here would have been easy to make this decision but I'm actually in a spot now that I love all my families and all my kids - no one is better than the other.

It's almost a flip of the coin and that's terrible - but when the time comes - IF - I have to make this decision it will be a hard one...which family do I get rid of. I simple have ONE opening - so I might keep both of these families and terminate an older family..I have no idea.
Reply
wdmmom 02:37 PM 02-27-2012
Due in August and October?

I guess my question is why are you worrying about this NOW?! There are so many factors that could change between now and then.

Think about it...1 DCM isn't needing care until October and the other until December! Why worry about what's going to happen almost a year from now.

Focus on what you have now and go with the flow. As time gets closer, maybe one of them wills strike up conversation about needing a spot, securing a deposit, signing a contract, etc.

For now, let things be.

There is no way I would give either any indication that you only have room for one baby. They could leave now and you could lose money.

Don't talk about things until the time comes and you have to make a decision (if you even have to.)

One of these moms could very well decide to drop down to part time or be a SAHM. Another might get laid off, a DCD lose their job, change jobs, etc. There are just way too many variables to get worried about this now.

I would wait until July. If neither have talked to you by then, it's probably time to talk and decide.

As for choosing one family over another. I think there are a lot of things to consider...which family you like the most, which kids you like the most, schedules, higher paying client (if there is one), if either are a habitual violator of your policies, etc.
Reply
Blackcat31 02:41 PM 02-27-2012
How many kids do you have now? You can have more than one infant depending on what the ages are of the other kids you have in care. also a variance would/could be a possibility if you hired an asistant due to the situation.

I guess the biggest thing for me would be the hours, the track record of the family, the parenting style they have and basically what they are planning on doing after baby's birth.

I have been in this same situation before and things just worked themselves out and only once did I offer up the spot to two moms and who ever wanted the spot had to pay for it to be held for them. One mom was not willing and the other was so she got the spot.

There is a SEVERE shortage of spaces for infants in this area so..... I currently have 4 families with kids under 12 months on a wait list with no possibility of having room for any of them in the near future but all want to remain on the list...just in case something changes.
Reply
DanceMom 02:47 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Due in August and October?

I guess my question is why are you worrying about this NOW?! There are so many factors that could change between now and then.

Think about it...1 DCM isn't needing care until October and the other until December! Why worry about what's going to happen almost a year from now.

Focus on what you have now and go with the flow. As time gets closer, maybe one of them wills strike up conversation about needing a spot, securing a deposit, signing a contract, etc.

For now, let things be.

There is no way I would give either any indication that you only have room for one baby. They could leave now and you could lose money.

Don't talk about things until the time comes and you have to make a decision (if you even have to.)

One of these moms could very well decide to drop down to part time or be a SAHM. Another might get laid off, a DCD lose their job, change jobs, etc. There are just way too many variables to get worried about this now.

I would wait until July. If neither have talked to you by then, it's probably time to talk and decide.

As for choosing one family over another. I think there are a lot of things to consider...which family you like the most, which kids you like the most, schedules, higher paying client (if there is one), if either are a habitual violator of your policies, etc.
Yes due in August and October - I KNOW things can change by then - I could get hit by a car getting my mail tonight - I am not worrying about it - Two moms recently told me their are pregnant - wanting a spot with ME - I have not said anything I said " we will see as we get closer where I am at" And have left it at that. I am simply asking out of curiosity what other providers do when and if they have been in this situation.
Reply
DanceMom 02:53 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How many kids do you have now? You can have more than one infant depending on what the ages are of the other kids you have in care. also a variance would/could be a possibility if you hired an asistant due to the situation.

I guess the biggest thing for me would be the hours, the track record of the family, the parenting style they have and basically what they are planning on doing after baby's birth.

I have been in this same situation before and things just worked themselves out and only once did I offer up the spot to two moms and who ever wanted the spot had to pay for it to be held for them. One mom was not willing and the other was so she got the spot.

There is a SEVERE shortage of spaces for infants in this area so..... I currently have 4 families with kids under 12 months on a wait list with no possibility of having room for any of them in the near future but all want to remain on the list...just in case something changes.
I have 10 kids now, I am licensed for 12. I believe our max variance is 30 days per year - I would need much more than that. With my current kids ages and what they will be then - I have one spot for one infant or any age. with the infant ratio I will be at I can only have 8 under school age - so I would definitely without a doubt ( if someone doesn't leave on their own etc etc etc etc ) have to let one family go.
Reply
Blackcat31 03:04 PM 02-27-2012
Is the variance rule saying that you can only have one for 30 days a county thing because I an also in MN and have had a variance for a lot longer than that before...several times as a matter of fact.

I am also licensed for 12-14 kids and currently have a variance (issued in December 2011) to have one more toddler than normal. The variance is in effect until May 30, 2012 so I am well beyond 30 days.

I have been given a variance before too letting me have 11 kids (I had 8 preschoolers, one toddler and 2 babies under 12 months) and I think my licensor issued me the variance because my preschool kids were all on the upper end of the age catagory. They were all 3.5 and older. I lost 5 of them to Kindergarten that fall.

I am going to look into the state rules for variances and see if there is anything in there about them being governed by individual counties. (unless you know that is how they do things)
Reply
DanceMom 03:09 PM 02-27-2012
I think it's hit or miss with variances - my mother in law has gotten them before but not for very long and my licensor tells me constantly that the state/county is getting more and more tough on allowing them,..I guess I could when the time gets a little closer - ask again and see what answer I get this time

Wow with your variance being from Dec to May - I will definitely have to ask again ! What county are you in ?
Reply
Blackcat31 03:15 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by DanceMom:
I think it's hit or miss with variances - my mother in law has gotten them before but not for very long and my licensor tells me constantly that the state/county is getting more and more tough on allowing them,..I guess I could when the time gets a little closer - ask again and see what answer I get this time

Wow with your variance being from Dec to May - I will definitely have to ask again ! What county are you in ?


Yes, it couldn't hurt to ask anyways. I also think it depends alot on the ages of your current kids, your set up and how long you have been in the business.

FWIW~ from what I can tell about MN state rules it says we can have variances for things like that but says NOTHING about when, who and why variance requests are denied and/or granted so it must definitely be up to the individual licensor.
Reply
DanceMom 03:19 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Yes, it couldn't hurt to ask anyways. I also think it depends alot on the ages of your current kids, your set up and how long you have been in the business.

FWIW~ from what I can tell about MN state rules it says we can have variances for things like that but says NOTHING about when, who and why variance requests are denied and/or granted so it must definitely be up to the individual licensor.
I honestly think my licensor is a "lazy" and maybe doesn't want to do the leg work....as my mother in law who has been licensed for 30 yrs used to get them all the time but now with her new licensor ( which we have the same ) she never gets them anymore. You're right, it doesn't hurt to ask and I will down the road. Thanks
Reply
MrsB 03:21 PM 02-27-2012
IMHO, if everything is the same between the 2 and nothing changes between now and July/August, I would say that you are going to have to go with the one that is born first. I would not hold a spot for a client for 3 months (baby born in October) when I could fill it sooner unless the lady who is due in October was willing to pay for 3 months missed wages.

Currently I have a DCF, mom is preggo, due in August, already has 3 months approved Maternity leave. My next infant spot opens up in April. I told her I financially cant leave it open until December. 7 months of missed wages is $5800. She totally understood.
Reply
DanceMom 03:26 PM 02-27-2012
Originally Posted by MrsB:
IMHO, if everything is the same between the 2 and nothing changes between now and July/August, I would say that you are going to have to go with the one that is born first. I would not hold a spot for a client for 3 months (baby born in October) when I could fill it sooner unless the lady who is due in October was willing to pay for 3 months missed wages.

Currently I have a DCF, mom is preggo, due in August, already has 3 months approved Maternity leave. My next infant spot opens up in April. I told her I financially cant leave it open until December. 7 months of missed wages is $5800. She totally understood.

Born first, that's a great idea actually - simple. I love simplicity !
Reply
MyAngels 03:48 PM 02-27-2012
The last and only time I had this situation I gave the spot to the mom who told me she was expecting first. The other mom elected to put her baby in another daycare but leave her older child with me until I was able to enroll her younger child about six months later.

Both families were excellent families with great track records, so I just opted to go with the one who told me first.
Reply
JenNJ 04:31 PM 02-27-2012
Chances are that one of your dc families will leave or starts acting up before December. If someone leaves, you have a space. If any family/child starts acting up, you can term and then have a space.

In these situations I take the first child born if the playing field is level (great parents, great kids). If they are due at once, I usually speak to the family of the oldest child in care and find out when their child is leaving for preschool. It isn't ideal, but I won't lose out on income potential for 5 years for a child who will only be staying a few months.
Reply
Crazy8 04:33 PM 02-27-2012
I have had multiple pregnant moms at a time but fortunately they were spaced a few months apart making it possible for me to take both when they needed it. IF I were in a situation where I'd have to choose between 2 great families a lot of things would come into play. Seniority, age of siblings and date needing care would be my top considerations, who is born first is not necessarily who would start first. I generally only take one infant at a time - not sure I'd even WANT both infants!!
Reply
renodeb 07:16 PM 02-27-2012
Yes, and it was a matter of who gives the deposit first! Do they both know the situation? How long do you have until the birth (s)? Who have you had longer? That may be the best way to decide. Thats a toughy!
Seriously though, I wouldnt worry to much about it now. A million things could happen between then and now. I think it will works its self out.
Debbie
Reply
jojosmommy 12:43 PM 02-28-2012
I live in MN and our county isn't issuing ANY variances now because they claim they don't have enough money to have the licensor come out and check in on you more often. This has been the case for quite some time.

I have had this happen once but it was easy to choose, one family was better all around and the other family told me first and was due first so I didn't have to really think about it. Good luck, tough situation.
Reply
SunshineMama 02:57 PM 02-28-2012
Don't terminate either until you have more information. Protect your income first. The moms may take 3 months before they go back to work, and any other number of things may happen.
Reply
Sunchimes 03:33 PM 02-28-2012
I tried to get a variance a couple of months ago and she told me that they couldn't issue variances for any reason. She said the ratios were state law and DFPS didn't have the authority to issue variances to state law.
Reply
Cat Herder 04:56 PM 02-28-2012
I generally enroll newborns, so this happens often.

I tell my DCM's first come first serve.....

That is first CHILD come, first served.....

They always joke about racing to get pregnant first....

The husbands are the funniest ones with this banter back and forth, between them, at pick-ups....
Reply
saved4always 07:12 PM 02-28-2012
I would wait until closer to the births. One of the moms may very well decide to stay at home instead of going back to work. With my 3rd, I went back to work after 6 weeks and ended up quitting just a month or so later. I fully intended to keep working, but between the cost of daycare and one of my 3 kids getting sick and then the sitter's kids getting sick, it was just better for me to stay home. One or both of these mothers may decide to stay home....you never know. Otherwise, I guess I would go with the first born gets the spot.
Reply
Tags:new baby, new born, slot, spots
Reply Up