Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>She's Taking It All!!
Josiegirl 04:26 AM 04-27-2019
I gave dcm(the one who's opening her own dc because I'm closing)a list of all my stuff, hoping she'd take some of it off my hands. Course I keep mentally adding to it because of more stuff I forgot. She came back and said she'd take it all!! I'm thinking 'are you sure??' She'll give away what she doesn't want or need. I hope it doesn't leave her with a whole ton of stuff to unload after she's through sorting it all. I do have a lot of things that'll go straight to the dump that I'm not even offering her. I guess it's her choice, right?

Win for her, definitely a win for me!! So I'll start packing up stuff this weekend for her.
Reply
sharlan 09:10 AM 04-27-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I gave dcm(the one who's opening her own dc because I'm closing)a list of all my stuff, hoping she'd take some of it off my hands. Course I keep mentally adding to it because of more stuff I forgot. She came back and said she'd take it all!! I'm thinking 'are you sure??' She'll give away what she doesn't want or need. I hope it doesn't leave her with a whole ton of stuff to unload after she's through sorting it all. I do have a lot of things that'll go straight to the dump that I'm not even offering her. I guess it's her choice, right?

Win for her, definitely a win for me!! So I'll start packing up stuff this weekend for her.
Jealous. I've tried to give away a lot, no one wants it. I've donated 10 file boxes of books, 2 file boxes of paints, file box of coloring books, 2 cases of paper, 2 file boxes of stickers, large bin of good crayons, large bin of colored pencils and I haven't made a dent in it yet.
Reply
Michael 01:30 PM 04-27-2019
I just had someone write to me asking if there was a way that they could donate all of their daycare stuff since they were closing. I told her to use the Providers Helping Providers section: https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=15
Reply
rosieteddy 09:31 PM 04-27-2019
When I closed and we decided to move I sold a huge lot for 350..That included a 5 seat runabout stroller with seat covers ,kitchen stuff and train table.Then as time got closer started putting things on the curb for free.Got rid of a lot then high chairs ,bouncy seats swings ect.Fast forward 3 years and my 45 yr old daughter had a first baby.I have rebought swing ,pack and play and high chair,LOL
Reply
Josiegirl 04:25 AM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by rosieteddy:
When I closed and we decided to move I sold a huge lot for 350..That included a 5 seat runabout stroller with seat covers ,kitchen stuff and train table.Then as time got closer started putting things on the curb for free.Got rid of a lot then high chairs ,bouncy seats swings ect.Fast forward 3 years and my 45 yr old daughter had a first baby.I have rebought swing ,pack and play and high chair,LOL
Lol How cool for your dd and you!! I wouldn't dare keep anything for my own kids because I'm sure their taste would be different than mine anyways. I have a hard time letting go, only because of some of the memories attached. I was pulling stuff out of my basement yesterday, things I hadn't used in quite awhile. And memories came flooding back of the dcks when they were infants using them, or activities we used to do that I haven't done in so long due to burn-out. I keep thinking of how it's going to a good place and will be used and appreciated to keep my spirits up.

And Sharlan, it does seem overwhelming the amount of stuff we accumulate over the years as providers. I feel so lucky that this 1 dcm said she'd take it all because I'd be forever giving it, or selling it, or advertising it all. I even told her I've got so much for a science corner, such as bird nests, sea shells, magnifying glasses, magnetic wands, then there's craft supplies, books, not to mention toys/equipment. oh my. I've got a huge set of nice wooden blocks and about 10 other sets of different kinds of blocks.
I've got silly things I've put together myself such as a carpet tube with balls, a large wooden plank outside on 2 tires, a set of PVC pipes we used to make ball mazes outside with. My Elf on the Shelf!!!! Wow, now there were some memories.

So Much Stuff.
Reply
LK5kids 03:39 PM 04-28-2019
Josie, I haven’t been on the site for a few weeks. I didn’t know you had decided to close. I did know you were thinking about it but I thought that was a while off

I can’t find any other post about your decision. When did you decide and what are your plans after you close? When will you be done?

The best to you and your new adventures!!!
Reply
Josiegirl 05:36 PM 04-28-2019
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
Josie, I haven’t been on the site for a few weeks. I didn’t know you had decided to close. I did know you were thinking about it but I thought that was a while off

I can’t find any other post about your decision. When did you decide and what are your plans after you close? When will you be done?

The best to you and your new adventures!!!
Thank you I'd been thinking about it seriously for a few months. I'd hit a burn-out stage I just wasn't recovering from. Then mid-winter my dh made the suggestion that I retire and he move back in, in June and he'll work 1 more year. At first my knee-jerk reaction was uh uh, can't do it, especially before June. But then the more I thought about it and the more we talked, it felt like more of a reality. I gave my dcfs a 2 month notice a month ago; my last day is May 24th. My dcm didn't think she'd be able to open in time but it's working out pretty well with her now. She must be so busy and stressed out right now but she comes in each morning so sweet; never seen anyone more organized and that has it altogether like she does.

Believe it or not, I still have days where I'm not sure I made the right decision or not. In some ways I'm going to miss all of it and I will definitely miss the children and parents the most.

My dd will be visiting the last week of May for a week. It'll be nice to actually see her. My time will be spent reclaiming and redoing the house. Painting, filling holes, just a lot of stuff I haven't had the time or energy to do for months(years). Plus I want to do lots of walking. And one of my dds is planning a trip to Iceland for her and my other dd, their 2 SO's and me in Sept. Can't Wait!
I'm already thinking of just taking 2 infants when 2020 rolls in. It's a ways off so we'll see. But I know there's a huge local need and I know I'll miss not bringing in money to contribute. I was talking with a woman that works at the grocery store and she said there are currently 5 pregnant women at the moment and not one of them has daycare lined up. Yikes!! When she asked the workers why they hadn't looked before they figured it'd be easier to find a spot because everybody likes babies. Oh boy.
Reply
Snowmom 08:10 AM 04-29-2019
I didn't know you were leaving the daycare life either.
Good luck!
I hope you'll still pop in every once and awhile!
Reply
Josiegirl 10:43 AM 04-29-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I didn't know you were leaving the daycare life either.
Good luck!
I hope you'll still pop in every once and awhile!
Of course. And thank you!
Reply
LK5kids 05:22 PM 05-05-2019
I know people in my area who have retired and they sub for teacher assistants at the school. They can pick and choose what days they want to work-

In fact I did this for awhile when I was looking for a job and it was so easy! I have a teaching degree so I could have subbed for classroom teachers but didn’t want to do that.

I went to many different schools and only took elementary jobs including special ed. It was calm, relaxing and easy. Sometimes I’d be working in the library even. Nice and calm- No crying kids. Haha!!

The only hard part is some calls come in early and you have get going on a short notice. I could also go online and sign up for vacancies that were ore-planned-sone people even subbed for the secretary.
Reply
Tags:donations, selling daycare items
Reply Up