Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-03-2019, 08:18 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is offline
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Next door
Posts: 2,190
Default Help Me with Wording

I have a mom that contacted me in the winter for an August start date for a newborn and toddler, I told her that I would not have a infant spot until November. She requested it tour at the time my numbers are low so I did it. Originally she contacted me for Monday but during the tour she mentioned Wednesday.
After the tour I didn't hear anything from her. Being so far in advance I was not going to suggest her to hold one day a week. Typically always have one I openings for drop-in, so I never expressed any warning and I continued to advertise openings.

So fast forward to now my numbers are no longer low and she contacted me to start next month. I only have Monday available not Wednesday. Which I have already told her. But now she wants me to confirm an infant spot for November.

Well since the tour, I have filled most of my spots/days. I have one Monday (offered to her), and two Tuesday and Wednesday (offered to a foster family).

I also had a tour for a mom to be that toured a month ago for a November start date. November is when my son age is up and I can take another infant. The mom to be contacted me right away saying that she wanted the spot, but again it was so far away that I didn't offer to hold it.

As of my current schedule I don't have a spot for either infant.

I know that anything can happen but I just not sure I know how to respond to the mom wanting one day a week.

so what is the best way to professionally answer these questions without saying that I absolutely positively would not have a spot. Cuz I would never know for sure whether or not I would have the spot. And I am still waiting back to hear from the Foster family and whether or not they are getting the kids. And even if they do get the kids the kids could go home because one parent still has rights. So come November they may not be here.

"Do you still have spots for both boys after Thanksgiving? if I wait to have both of them come until after Thanksgiving will we still have 2 spots on hold for us?"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 13,753
Default

I wish I could help, but your business plan is too chaotic for me to follow. Sorry. That sounds tough.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-03-2019, 11:44 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,970
Default

“Hello I generally only hold spots for people with payment so I consider all spots open until I receive payment for them. Are you wanting to reserve the spot for November? I will not know until closer to that time whether or not my spot will be open, please contact me closer to November. Thanks”.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-03-2019, 12:00 PM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is offline
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Next door
Posts: 2,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariana View Post
“Hello I generally only hold spots for people with payment so I consider all spots open until I receive payment for them. Are you wanting to reserve the spot for November? If so we can discuss the interim payment to hold it. Thank you”
Thank you, the problem is, based on my current attendance, I will not have a spot for her baby. But I do not want to shoot myself in the foot because if the foster family does not work out then I would have an opening for them.

So how do I say no without making it sound like it would be impossible?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 PM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,753
Default

I would just tell her that you have a spot for the toddler, but you cannot guarantee a spot for the baby come November. Unfortunately, you won't have that information until closer to October. She doesnt need to know that a spot is highly unlikely and as you said, you are not 100% that it wont be available, so it leaves the door open. If she would like to go ahead with the toddler in August, she can come sign paperwork and leave a deposit. If she needs a guarantee of the baby spot, it is not the right fit and she should find another daycare. I personally wouldn't put this much effort into a family that only needs one or two days a week.

Just my opinion, but I think you are overcomplicating how you gain new clients. If you do not want to offer the option of holding a spot by paying for it in advance, then I would not even entertain the idea of enrolling the parent until just a few weeks before they actually want to start. As in, I would not do interviews or walkthroughs or anything like that, but simply tell them to call back 2 weeks before they like to start and if you have an opening, you will proceed with an interview. That might be a tough position for parents, however, because they tend to start looking for childcare far before that time frame, but the only way to handle these things is to either make them pay for the spot while you hold it, or make them wait until you are ready to officially offer the spot with a simple deposit. Good luck and hope it all works out!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
business management, enrollment, holding a space, infant spots, schedule, slots

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contract/Policy Update wording help please!! Jack Sprat Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 3 12-08-2014 08:23 AM
Late fee wording Second Home Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 15 03-27-2014 01:40 PM
Weekly Payment Contract/Handbook Wording Lyss Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 11-12-2013 12:16 PM
Changing The Wording On An Agreement EntropyControlSpecialist Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 02-27-2013 12:37 PM
Holidays Question/Advice- Contract Wording Lyss Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 06-27-2012 01:41 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:53 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming