Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holding a Spot for an Infant
gumdrops 08:19 AM 10-16-2019
I plan to open a center in a few years after my daughter is finished with school and is able to teach preschool. I'm starting a new handbook and was wondering how to handle holding an infant spot. If a current family is expecting, they would have first chance at the spot, but what if they aren't due for a few months and you have availability now?

Our area does not have a center, so I think most people would be shocked/upset if they had to pay for a spot before the child is born. I'm sure it's going to be a shock that they have to pay for the older child's spot while they are on maternity leave.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:29 AM 10-16-2019
I give them the choice to pay tuition from the first Monday the slot is available, to secure it, or I offer it to the next family on the list. They would then have the same choice for the next available slot. Enrolled families first, then waitlist. Rinse/Repeat.

I will not go without income so their life choices are easier, my family comes first.
Reply
jenboo 08:43 AM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I give them the choice to pay tuition from the first Monday the slot is available, to secure it, or I offer it to the next family on the list. They would then have the same choice for the next available slot. Enrolled families first, then waitlist. Rinse/Repeat.

I will not go without income so their life choices are easier, my family comes first.
Same.

I only take infants and toddlers. Once I know when I have my next opening coming up, the family who wants it can give me a two week deposit to lock in that spot. Once the space is available, they must start paying for it.
Reply
Snowmom 09:48 AM 10-16-2019
I don't take infants very often for several reasons. But they are in high demand here- usually a year to find one available.

The typical procedure here: Enrollment fee due up front and weekly payments start when the spot is available.
So, if they want the spot and it's open now, they pay weekly NOW.
If they can't or won't do that, they take their chances with a waitlist.
Reply
sammie 10:09 AM 10-16-2019
I also don't hold spots without payment, especially an under 2 opening which are in very high demand here.

I just had a new infant start last week, the parents started paying for the spot when it was available in May.

I have another child (18 months) who won't be starting until middle of November. The parents started paying for the spot at the beginning of October when it became available.
Reply
Blackcat31 11:56 AM 10-16-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I give them the choice to pay tuition from the first Monday the slot is available, to secure it, or I offer it to the next family on the list. They would then have the same choice for the next available slot. Enrolled families first, then waitlist. Rinse/Repeat.

I will not go without income so their life choices are easier, my family comes first.
Same here.
Reply
Josiegirl 03:30 AM 10-17-2019
I feel paying to hold the spot when it becomes available is becoming standard procedure these days. CC is difficult to find and unfortunately, if parents need that spot, they need to pay for it. It's becoming the way of the business.
Reply
Cat Herder 05:52 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I feel paying to hold the spot when it becomes available is becoming standard procedure these days. CC is difficult to find and unfortunately, if parents need that spot, they need to pay for it. It's becoming the way of the business.
It really needed to, though. Actual hands-on care is only a fraction of my cost. The mandatory supply lists, training, education, meal requirements, curriculum requirements, structural requirements, and equipment costs are rising almost daily. Those things must be in place whether a child attends or not.
Reply
Josiegirl 06:10 AM 10-17-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
It really needed to, though. Actual hands-on care is only a fraction of my cost. The mandatory supply lists, training, education, meal requirements, curriculum requirements, structural requirements, and equipment costs are rising almost daily. Those things must be in place whether a child attends or not.
I agree 100% but many(most??) parents don't understand that concept.
Infant care has to be planned as soon as parents know they're expecting, at least in my area. And they consider themselves very fortunate to secure a place anywhere, even though they grumble about paying full price for a slot. They need to open their minds to the fact that it's a business for us, each slot makes up a piece of our financial livelihood and if we give that up, it's the same as if they receive 1/6(or whatever percentage) less of their pay for months. It's simply not feasible for business sense.

As to the OP, you may very well be setting the trend in your area and have many followers!! That's not a bad thing you know! Dare to be the 1st and make yourself *that* desirable that people will pay.
Reply
Tags:family planning, holding a space, life choices, slots, tuition
Reply Up