Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Habits
dolores 11:48 AM 01-04-2021
I have a habit of buying too many things (supplies, materials, toys) for my daycare. Due to covid I moved out a lot of things from my daycare space to my basement where I now see that my buying went overboard. Anyone with a daycare habit they'd like to rehabilitate?
Reply
Annalee 12:17 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by dolores:
I have a habit of buying too many things (supplies, materials, toys) for my daycare. Due to covid I moved out a lot of things from my daycare space to my basement where I now see that my buying went overboard. Anyone with a daycare habit they'd like to rehabilitate?
I open up every day with high expectations but those dwindle quickly right now, usually before 8:00 AM.

I would like to be more consistent and able to follow through a whole day like I did in my early years before QRIS, Covid and the state expectations, in general, along with having the families like I had in the beginning. While I didn't have the strict contract, I did have NORMAL clients back then....Make sense?
Reply
dolores 01:28 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I open up every day with high expectations but those dwindle quickly right now, usually before 8:00 AM.

I would like to be more consistent and able to follow through a whole day like I did in my early years before QRIS, Covid and the state expectations, in general, along with having the families like I had in the beginning. While I didn't have the strict contract, I did have NORMAL clients back then....Make sense?
Of course it makes sense! The things you've mentioned, especially stacked, make one weary which affects motivation which affects consistency.
Reply
Cat Herder 02:34 PM 01-04-2021
I am getting rid of all the useless, boring, pre-fab curriculum I purchased over the years. I am tired of storing it, sorting it, planning it, prepping it then doing something else because it is just so beige and blah. Not to mention the one voice on the coordinating music CD's, for the last 10 years is making me lose my mind.

Throwing away almost $2000 is killing me, but not throwing it out is doing the same. Lesson learned.

I am dropping QRIS and having more fun with the kids this year. Enter color, mess, fun music and joy, again, please.
Reply
Annalee 02:38 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am getting rid of all the useless, boring, pre-fab curriculum I purchased over the years. I am tired of storing it, sorting it, planning it, prepping it then doing something else because it is just so beige and blah. Not to mention the one voice on the coordinating music CD's, for the last 10 years is making me lose my mind.

Throwing away almost $2000 is killing me, but not throwing it out is doing the same. Lesson learned.

I am dropping QRIS and having more fun with the kids this year. Enter color, mess, fun music and joy, again, please.

Reply
dolores 03:02 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am getting rid of all the useless, boring, pre-fab curriculum I purchased over the years. I am tired of storing it, sorting it, planning it, prepping it then doing something else because it is just so beige and blah. Not to mention the one voice on the coordinating music CD's, for the last 10 years is making me lose my mind.

Throwing away almost $2000 is killing me, but not throwing it out is doing the same. Lesson learned.

I am dropping QRIS and having more fun with the kids this year. Enter color, mess, fun music and joy, again, please.
EVERYTHING you've said! My goal this year is to work towards creating a minimalist daycare space. I thought downsizing would increase clashes amongst the littles as they have less to play with but it has had the opposite effect. They have become creative with what's left and cooperative with each other. Less is surely more sometimes.
Reply
Annalee 03:10 PM 01-04-2021
Originally Posted by dolores:
EVERYTHING you've said! My goal this year is to work towards creating a minimalist daycare space. I thought downsizing would increase clashes amongst the littles as they have less to play with but it has had the opposite effect. They have become creative with what's left and cooperative with each other. Less is surely more sometimes.
Yes; on the downsizing....I did that the very next day that I heard the FCCERS-R book was no longer being used.

So happy about that !!!!
Reply
flying_babyb 05:53 PM 01-04-2021
spending way too much at the dollar tree on stuff we play with once or twice.
Not fallowing though on the lesson plan, and Not doing observations
Reply
Cat Herder 05:36 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Not doing observations
Right? Mine (2.8 - 3.6) have started freezing in place then just staring at me whenever they see me watching anything or anyone specific. They won't play freely or creatively unless I am "busy" with "computer work" (that's you guys), cleaning or tending to an infant. If I look over my desk, they all. just. stare....

I am going to have to get a turkey hide in there or something to catch up.
Reply
Annalee 05:38 AM 01-05-2021
I am back this morning with my High Expectations for the day Let's see how far this goes.
Reply
coloradoprovider 06:54 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I am getting rid of all the useless, boring, pre-fab curriculum I purchased over the years. I am tired of storing it, sorting it, planning it, prepping it then doing something else because it is just so beige and blah. Not to mention the one voice on the coordinating music CD's, for the last 10 years is making me lose my mind.

Throwing away almost $2000 is killing me, but not throwing it out is doing the same. Lesson learned.

I am dropping QRIS and having more fun with the kids this year. Enter color, mess, fun music and joy, again, please.
Have a give away day/week. Donate your stuff to childcare families, another provider, etc.
Reply
Cat Herder 06:56 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I am back this morning with my High Expectations for the day Let's see how far this goes.
I was looking at those "Intentional Year" notebooks. They list the 1st priority of the day along with a few smaller goals that can be moved to the next day for all eternity.

They seemed pretty cool, until I saw how big they are (I would prefer half-sheet due to desk size). I like the idea, though, so will add that to my usual planning lists. They do keep me on track and give me other options for the days some of the tasks are just too big for my pain or energy level.

Keep in mind that quiet time, healing rest, exercise and mental stimulation time are also important daily tasks. I have a bad habit of skipping those too often to complete routine tasks that can wait.

Anyway, here is the link to my current inspiration because they deserve the props and maybe someone will be interested: https://theintentionalyear.com/produ...action-planner

I may still grab one to start the new process from my currently crazy long to-do list that make me tired just looking at it. If my DH happens to start using them, too, I think I could share (He has his Masters in Procrastination, mine is in Overtasking, what a pair ).
Reply
Cat Herder 07:07 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by coloradoprovider:
Have a give away day/week. Donate your stuff to childcare families, another provider, etc.
I have been. Often. No one has the time or desire, it seems. I also reclaim things from each envelope I can use like colored construction paper (rare), wiggly eyes, ribbon, etc.

Things like the thin, floppy or bent paper plates, bland colored tissue paper and flimsy beige/tan/manila craft paper that won't hold paint or their shape have to go. There are a lot of magnet and peel-n-stick crafts that don't stick requiring more work. Things like that. Way too many of them require me to cut things out, times six, in advance.

I am simply over those types of crafts. So are the kids.
Reply
Annalee 07:32 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I was looking at those "Intentional Year" notebooks. They list the 1st priority of the day along with a few smaller goals that can be moved to the next day for all eternity.

They seemed pretty cool, until I saw how big they are (I would prefer half-sheet due to desk size). I like the idea, though, so will add that to my usual planning lists. They do keep me on track and give me other options for the days some of the tasks are just too big for my pain or energy level.

Keep in mind that quiet time, healing rest, exercise and mental stimulation time are also important daily tasks. I have a bad habit of skipping those too often to complete routine tasks that can wait.

Anyway, here is the link to my current inspiration because they deserve the props and maybe someone will be interested: https://theintentionalyear.com/produ...action-planner

I may still grab one to start the new process from my currently crazy long to-do list that make me tired just looking at it. If my DH happens to start using them, too, I think I could share (He has his Masters in Procrastination, mine is in Overtasking, what a pair ).
Thanks and yes on the "never taking time for myself"....gotta change that!
Reply
Annalee 07:35 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I was looking at those "Intentional Year" notebooks. They list the 1st priority of the day along with a few smaller goals that can be moved to the next day for all eternity.

They seemed pretty cool, until I saw how big they are (I would prefer half-sheet due to desk size). I like the idea, though, so will add that to my usual planning lists. They do keep me on track and give me other options for the days some of the tasks are just too big for my pain or energy level.

Keep in mind that quiet time, healing rest, exercise and mental stimulation time are also important daily tasks. I have a bad habit of skipping those too often to complete routine tasks that can wait.

Anyway, here is the link to my current inspiration because they deserve the props and maybe someone will be interested: https://theintentionalyear.com/produ...action-planner

I may still grab one to start the new process from my currently crazy long to-do list that make me tired just looking at it. If my DH happens to start using them, too, I think I could share (He has his Masters in Procrastination, mine is in Overtasking, what a pair ).
Ironically, I had purchased a notebook/calendar similar to what you posted at TJMAXX during my Christmas Break. You have motivated me to write in it TODAY! LOL Haven't even opened it till TODAY! But I had good intentions!
Reply
Cat Herder 07:52 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Ironically, I had purchased a notebook/calendar similar to what you posted at TJMAXX during my Christmas Break. You have motivated me to write in it TODAY! LOL Haven't even opened it till TODAY! But I had good intentions!
Awesome. I started my health journal yesterday. Ugh. I dreaded it, but it is not so bad, yet. My Doc asked me to. Buzzkill, that one.

  1. Resting Blood Pressure
  2. Resting Heart Rate
  3. Resting Oxygen Concentration
  4. Weight
  5. Meals and Snacks plus sweetened beverages (I hate this one, wants 1200 calories per day, crazy talk)
  6. Total Minutes of Moderate Exercise (wants 60 minimum, easy enough)
  7. Total Minutes of Vigorous Exercise (wants 30 minutes minimum, I don't think I like him anymore)
I have to get my blood pressure down. I am one of those lucky people who have high blood pressure at a healthy weight. Yay.
Reply
Annalee 07:55 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Awesome. I started my health journal yesterday. Ugh. I dreaded it, but it is not so bad, yet. My Doc asked me to. Buzzkill, that one.

  1. Resting Blood Pressure
  2. Resting Heart Rate
  3. Resting Oxygen Concentration
  4. Weight
  5. Meals and Snacks plus sweetened beverages (I hate this one, wants 1200 calories per day, crazy talk)
  6. Total Minutes of Moderate Exercise (wants 60 minimum, easy enough)
  7. Total Minutes of Vigorous Exercise (wants 30 minutes minimum, I don't think I like him anymore)
I have to get my blood pressure down. I am one of those lucky people who have high blood pressure at a healthy weight. Yay.
Only health issue I have is my "stomach issues" which are largely stress related....Have been taking a probiotic and pepcid and claritin each morning. Oddly, my dr says a mixture of claritin and pepcid is the best med for my stomach. However, alleviating stress and binge eating would eliminate all my health issues
Reply
Cat Herder 08:04 AM 01-05-2021
I was told early on at the family reunion that if I did not have a chronic health issue by 45 not to worry, one would be assigned shortly thereafter.
Reply
Annalee 08:13 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I was told early on at the family reunion that if I did not have a chronic health issue by 45 not to worry, one would be assigned shortly thereafter.

Reply
dolores 08:37 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Not fallowing though on the lesson plan, and Not doing observations
I NEVER fully understood the separate exercise and purpose of documenting observations as we already do it in so many other ways. We can identify relatively quickly, based on our training and experience, when a child is lagging behind/ontrack developmentally/needs extra support in areas. Why the documented vignettes? Aren't the daily verbal communication, children's work we send home, incident reports, assessments, parent teacher conferences, texts (more than) enough? I stopped doing daily report sheets since last March (a positive casualty of covid) and parents have not asked for it not once. I transitioned to just texting a pic with a blurb a day, and they love it! Looking into the recommended apps on here to transition that to but I'm not ready yet to learn another thing.
Reply
Cat Herder 08:46 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by dolores:
I NEVER fully understood the separate exercise and purpose of documenting observations as we already do it in so many other ways. We can identify relatively quickly, based on our training and experience, when a child is lagging behind/ontrack developmentally/needs extra support in areas. Why the documented vignettes?
I always had a suspicion they were about staff turnover. In effect training your replacement. I was taught it was so we could go back and look at long trends and evaluate any regressions, but still....
Reply
dolores 08:51 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Awesome. I started my health journal yesterday. Ugh. I dreaded it, but it is not so bad, yet. My Doc asked me to. Buzzkill, that one.

  1. Resting Blood Pressure
  2. Resting Heart Rate
  3. Resting Oxygen Concentration
  4. Weight
  5. Meals and Snacks plus sweetened beverages (I hate this one, wants 1200 calories per day, crazy talk)
  6. Total Minutes of Moderate Exercise (wants 60 minimum, easy enough)
  7. Total Minutes of Vigorous Exercise (wants 30 minutes minimum, I don't think I like him anymore)
I have to get my blood pressure down. I am one of those lucky people who have high blood pressure at a healthy weight. Yay.
High blood pressure....uggh! Sorry you're in the club. I'm on medication for it. Hoping to wean myself off with lifestyle changes. Talk about breaking habits! Your dedication to your health IS motivating!
Reply
Annalee 10:22 AM 01-05-2021
Originally Posted by dolores:
High blood pressure....uggh! Sorry you're in the club. I'm on medication for it. Hoping to wean myself off with lifestyle changes. Talk about breaking habits! Your dedication to your health IS motivating!
High BP runs rampant in my dad's side of the family but I must have got my genes from my mom's side.

My high-strungness, though, keeps me on stroke stage and I got to FIX that!
Reply
dolores 12:28 PM 01-06-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
High BP runs rampant in my dad's side of the family but I must have got my genes from my mom's side.

My high-strungness, though, keeps me on stroke stage and I got to FIX that!
Let's bump up taking care of ourselves to #1 on the list. Easier said than done. I'm making a vision board to remind myself.
Reply
Annalee 01:10 PM 01-09-2021
Originally Posted by dolores:
Let's bump up taking care of ourselves to #1 on the list. Easier said than done. I'm making a vision board to remind myself.
Yep; easier said than done, but a treadmill set up downstairs is calling my name.....had my son unhook his xbox and hook the 'dish' back to the TV so I can watch TV while walking....Gotta do this!
Reply
flying_babyb 05:51 PM 01-09-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Right? Mine (2.8 - 3.6) have started freezing in place then just staring at me whenever they see me watching anything or anyone specific. They won't play freely or creatively unless I am "busy" with "computer work" (that's you guys), cleaning or tending to an infant. If I look over my desk, they all. just. stare....

I am going to have to get a turkey hide in there or something to catch up.
Can i share my secret tip for observations? I tell my kids that I am going to sit and do a puzzle. I put a paper in my puzzle book and have at observations. It works, and if they wander over I show them the puzzle Im "working" on. I usally keep one half complete.
Reply
Cat Herder 05:46 AM 01-11-2021
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
Can i share my secret tip for observations? I tell my kids that I am going to sit and do a puzzle. I put a paper in my puzzle book and have at observations. It works, and if they wander over I show them the puzzle Im "working" on. I usally keep one half complete.
I tell them I am working on bills, on my computer. Worked for many years.

Not with this group. These are screen and stroller babies.

These are also the kids who have not been out unrestrained in public in a year or so.
Reply
Annalee 05:50 AM 01-11-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I tell them I am working on bills, on my computer. Worked for many years.

Not with this group. These are screen and stroller babies.

These are also the kids who have not been out unrestrained in public in a year or so.
The last dcb2 I took....dcm said he had been in high chair or playpen the last year so she could work from home He is a wobbly walker but getting better.....sad!!!
Reply
Cat Herder 06:00 AM 01-11-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
The last dcb2 I took....dcm said he had been in high chair or playpen the last year so she could work from home He is a wobbly walker but getting better.....sad!!!
I think that has become the norm out of sheer desperation to keep food on the table for many.

We are seeing several cases where kids are locked in sheds, barns and basements so they can be left unsupervised while parents work.
Reply
Annalee 06:04 AM 01-11-2021
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I think that has become the norm out of sheer desperation to keep food on the table for many.

We are seeing several cases where kids are locked in sheds, barns and basements so they can be left unsupervised while parents work.
Oh my goodness!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard over the past year "when a democrat wins and the election is over, all will go back to normal". Just ain't gonna happen!
Reply
Cat Herder 06:05 AM 01-11-2021
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Oh my goodness!

I wish I had a dollar for every time I heard over the past year "when a democrat wins and the election is over, all will go back to normal". Just ain't gonna happen!
No. It's not. The damage is real and this anger will be a part of this new generation.
Reply
flying_babyb 01:53 PM 01-11-2021
I had a parent tell me that since we closed for covid she was planning on locking her kid in the extra room (its empty) with some safe toys.
Reply
AmyKidsCo 02:12 PM 01-12-2021
Curriculum books. I never use them but whenever I see a new one I can't help wondering if I need it. I still have 15+ years of Mailbox magazines I can't part with, even though I only pull out one or two a year.

The really ironic part is that I only plan 1 activity/experience per day and we often don't do them because the children are too busy playing.
Reply
Tags:resolution plan
Reply Up