Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>This Is A Daycare, Not Your Personal Playgroup! Ugh!
misspollywog 02:16 PM 10-31-2011
Well, today I learned my lesson about offering hourly rates with no minimum hours! This morning I termed a 21mo dcg whose mom only wanted her her for "preschool and socializing" a couple hours a day, three days a week.

From the beginning, this dcm was constantly asking when I was going to get more kids, what schedules my other dcks were on and was adamant that she only wanted to bring dcg during the times when other dcks were already here.

I TRIED to accommodate but felt awkward divulging the private details of my other dcfs lives (what their work schedule was, when they were on vacation, etc) so I gave as little info as I could to appease her.

This morning, I sort of had enough. When she asked again about when I was getting more kids, I nicely told her that it takes time to get the right ones, and that I am very picky and have already turned away 2 families (true!). She said she understood but still acted put off because "dd isn't asking about ****** (other 17mo dcg)" as much as she'd hoped.

I mean, really?? She actually thought they'd be bestest buddies by now, even though her dd is BARELY here and I've only been open for TWO WEEKS?

I didn't have the heart to tell her that the reason why is probably because her dd pulls hair, kicks and punches the other dcg and I am pretty sure the other dcg doesn't like that I'm constantly having to intervene just to keep her from being abused.

Instead, I told her maybe she needed a playgroup or something. This just wasn't working out for either of us and I have decided not to offer less-than-part-time care anymore.

Anyone want to say I TOLD YOU SO???
cheerfuldom 02:36 PM 10-31-2011
oh well, live and learn. you did the right thing.
misspollywog 03:24 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
oh well, live and learn. you did the right thing.
I brought this on myself, really, for not reading all the awesome advice here BEFORE I started signing up customers. Luckily I know better now.
Tags:hourly rates
Reply Up