Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>In A Bit A A Hum-Drum Mode...
SimpleMom 09:12 AM 11-30-2011
I ...can...not...get...m-o-t-v-a-t-e-d! It's been like 4 weeks or more. Off/on this past year or two. I'm going on 11 straight years of childcare. Soooo hoping it's not burn-out!

I used to do so many activities with the kiddos--SUPER structured and ran it like a center. The last two years, I've started slowing down a bit. Most kids go to pre-k elsewhere. So, I just kinda moved into a different type of independent play/learning atmosphere. Plenty to do for them. Still have group time. Feeling a bit, I don't know, maybe bored?
Unregistered 06:41 AM 12-01-2011
Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
I ...can...not...get...m-o-t-v-a-t-e-d! It's been like 4 weeks or more. Off/on this past year or two. I'm going on 11 straight years of childcare. Soooo hoping it's not burn-out!

I used to do so many activities with the kiddos--SUPER structured and ran it like a center. The last two years, I've started slowing down a bit. Most kids go to pre-k elsewhere. So, I just kinda moved into a different type of independent play/learning atmosphere. Plenty to do for them. Still have group time. Feeling a bit, I don't know, maybe bored?
Tis the season? I know this thread has been beaten here but its a common problem and one that needs to be addressed again and again. I too would like ideas on how to get out of the funk, my own way. I think some of it depends on the kids in our care at the time- some kids can just bring us down and our day to day. (not the kids fault-they don't know they do this to us and sometimes we don't know they are doing this) I have littles and love doing projects, but littles don't like doing projects they are all about the play and basic basics.....it does get boring.
Some ideas to get you out of the funk....
1) stay connected- have a friend that does daycare that you can chat with daily and sound off of each other.
2) start planning your day again. I have to reconnect to this often too.
3) read, paper, book, internet, magazine
4) do something good for yourself, for me its my morning coffee, and then afternoon tea
5) remember why you do this, for most of us its a love for the children and to have an income.
6) make a plan for the weekend, if I have something to look forward to on the weekends it makes my week go smoother. Gives me hope
7) change things up- move something around. It renews what we already have.

look forward to more ideas......
Oneluckymom 09:36 PM 12-01-2011
OK ....I'm still trying to figure out HOW YOU ALL do projects with the littles.

I just don't know when you have time: snack , lunch, clean-up,babies that need bottles, diaper changes, outdoor free time, circle time, and nap.

My 19mo old just does not have the attention span to stay committed to any project. She is on to a new thing every 5 minutes. I can hardly get her to sit down and read with me. I would love to do something nice with her to give to her mom though.

You all amaze me !!!....it's been free play for me.
Unregistered 11:11 AM 12-02-2011
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
OK ....I'm still trying to figure out HOW YOU ALL do projects with the littles.

I just don't know when you have time: snack , lunch, clean-up,babies that need bottles, diaper changes, outdoor free time, circle time, and nap.

My 19mo old just does not have the attention span to stay committed to any project. She is on to a new thing every 5 minutes. I can hardly get her to sit down and read with me. I would love to do something nice with her to give to her mom though.

You all amaze me !!!....it's been free play for me.
lots of paint the hands and feet stamping. I would like other ideas too... pudding painting is another one I have done. Sensory tubs is another- but you have to really have eyes on for these- not that we don't but even more, because of putting everything in the mouth.

we do a lot of free play here too, but it can make me feel, shouldn't I be doing more with these littles

back to the OP and the get out of the funk...... get outside for vitamin d when possible, fresh air can really make a difference.
music is another- turning off the tiny tunes for a little me music- but appropriate for kids
water is a good one too, getting plenty of water through the day. getting the mail is a simple pleasure that I look forward too- all except the bills ha ha.
Tags:inspirational topic, motivation, projects - winter, provider - burnout risk, support
Reply Up