Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tornado Drill
rmc20021 07:01 AM 04-09-2013
I had a tornado drill with my dck's this morning. We went through the whole routine and talked about tornado's. My little (almost) 4 yo dcg said that she had seen a tornado before.

I asked her to tell us about it and she said, "Yeah, there was a tornado under my bed." It took me a minute but then I figured out her mom had probably told her her room, or under her bed looked like a tornado hit it.

Now with the funny out of the way, I have a question for everyone. How do you alert you dck's for tornado drills? I use my smoke alarm for fire drills, but I have only used my own verbal beeping sound for tornado's. Is there something else that would be better????
Solandia 07:25 AM 04-09-2013
Our town tests the sirens the first Tuesday of every month at 10am. That is when we do our storm drill, usually one of the kids hears it before I do. We pile into the bathroom (the only interior room on the ground floor). One kid gets to hold the shakey flashlight, another gets to play with the wind-up weather radio, and another gets to flip on/off the lights. Good times, lol.
rmc20021 07:27 AM 04-09-2013
Wish we had something like that...every town should. We have an emergency siren that goes off once per month...on Saturday
SilverSabre25 07:57 AM 04-09-2013
Our tornado sirens are tested every Wednesday at noon. Every march on one Wednesday there's a Statewide tornado drill at like 9 AM.

If you have tornado sirens you could get a recording and play it when it's time for the drill.
MyAngels 03:12 PM 04-09-2013
I found a ringtone for my phone that sounds like the tornado siren, so I set an alarm for whatever day I'm doing drills and make the alert that sound.
rmc20021 03:17 PM 04-09-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I found a ringtone for my phone that sounds like the tornado siren, so I set an alarm for whatever day I'm doing drills and make the alert that sound.
I like this idea!!!!
Tags:disaster plan, tornado
Reply Up