Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Holidays Approaching, Are You Open Or Closed The Week Between Christmas And New Years
jojosmommy 04:08 PM 10-23-2013
What is everyone doing for Holidays this year? Last year I was open a few days but this year the holidays seem oddly placed midweek. I plan to offer my families a few options and get them to commit to the days they want now so I can bill Dec 1st for what they have committed to.
TwinKristi 04:34 PM 10-23-2013
This is on my list of things to do... For the first time we're going out of town for the holiday so I think I will be open Monday and close Tues-Fri (only Wed paid) and then closed the following Wed (paid). I'm not sure if I'll be open Mon-Tues before New Years yet. I think Tues-Sun is good enough but need to confirm with dh.
LaLa1923 04:43 PM 10-23-2013
Haven't you guys already decided??

I gave out my list of scheduled closings when they signed the contract. I am not closed any days that week except christmas and the day after.
NeedaVaca 04:50 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

I gave out my list of scheduled closings when they signed the contract. I am not closed any days that week except christmas and the day after.
Sure, scheduled paid holiday lists are prepared for the year but not vacation or personal days. I have not made a final decision about that gap/week either because it partially depended on how many vacation/personal days I had taken up until this point.

I have never actually used a personal /sick day but IF I had to and was sick enough to use one it would change my plans. It is a strange mid week thing this year!! I will decide in the next week or two and the families will have more than enough notice.
melilley 05:04 PM 10-23-2013
I have Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off as well as New Years day, but that's it. I'm deciding if I want to take the whole week of Christmas off, but it's only 3 days of being open and if I do close, that would be my unpaid vacation so I think I'll just keep it the way it is so I'm paid for that week.

I do know that at least one of my families will have Christmas break off because she works at a school, but that is the family that always brings their kids every day they have off.
dbslas 05:55 PM 10-23-2013
Closed from 12-23 through 1-4
Sunshine74 06:06 PM 10-23-2013
Our center closes early Christmas Eve, and is closed Christmas Day. And the same for New Year's Eve and Day. Other then that we are open. I try and save my vacation for then, but last year I was only off two days that week.

This year I am not sure what I will have yet.
craftymissbeth 06:25 PM 10-23-2013
I'm closing to whole week of Xmas.
Msdunny 06:36 PM 10-23-2013
I am closed the entire week of Christmas, and Mon-Wed. of the next week, but I have a teacher's kid who wouldn't be here anyway, and my other family is flexible. It just works better for me this way.
jenn 06:40 PM 10-23-2013
I am closed from Dec 24-Jan 1.
kathiemarie 07:01 PM 10-23-2013
I'm closed Dec 24 to Jan 2. PAID!
Sunshine75 07:15 PM 10-23-2013
I am closed Christmas Eve to after New Years day!
SilverSabre25 07:25 PM 10-23-2013
Closed the week of Christmas (including the Saturdays on either end, oh dear Saturday DCM!) and New Year's Day.

Christmas and the 26th are paid; the rest are unpaid. I can't wait.
JoseyJo 07:29 PM 10-23-2013
closed 12/24, 12/25 and 1/1. Wish it was the week between but I'll just have to be happy with 2 short weeks in a row
JoseyJo 07:30 PM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by dbslas:
Closed from 12-23 through 1-4
I'm jealous!
TwinKristi 08:17 PM 10-23-2013

I have my standard holidays in my contract including Christmas Eve off unpaid, Christmas Day paid, and New Years Day paid. Being as it falls on a Wed it makes it kinda funky and for the first time we're actually going out of town so it would make sense to just take off the 2 days after Christmas and maybe the 2 days before New Years to just get an unpaid vacation in there as well.
My contract states the predetermined closed paid days but also states I may take off additional time but will let them know at least 30 days in advance. I've already talked to two of my families about what days I'm considering, but need to talk to my PT family still to let them know.
daycare 08:32 PM 10-23-2013
I close early christams eve this year, closed christmas day and closed on new years day.
Familycare71 10:26 PM 10-23-2013
Closed!!!
SSWonders 02:41 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by kathiemarie:
i'm closed dec 24 to jan 2. Paid!
Nice!
SSWonders 02:45 AM 10-24-2013
Only Dec. 25 and Jan. 1 here. Bleah. Would love the week in between but except for my scheduled holidays, if I don't work I don't get paid. Bleah.
Cat Herder 03:49 AM 10-24-2013
25th - 1st, Paid.

I decided to stay open the 24th as 4/5 of my clients are Toys for Tot's volunteers/organizers this year.
Familycare71 05:04 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
25th - 1st, Paid.

I decided to stay open the 24th as 4/5 of my clients are Toys for Tot's volunteers/organizers this year.
I think I would have too- if it was for that reason!!
Luna 05:14 AM 10-24-2013
My last day is December 20 and I'm off until January 2. Four of those days are unpaid. My dcps have those days off, but I'm pretty sure some of them would bring their kids anyway so I booked the time off too! If I didn't I would be a Bitter Betty.
JenNJ 05:29 AM 10-24-2013
Generally I am open. This year I had a family decide to stay home and potty train their son. Another family with two kids is a teacher family so they keep the kids home anyway. Another family is visiting family out of state.

Dh and decided with only one child needing care that week that we would take pur kids on vacation for the holidays! So this year I am closed from Dec 23 to Jan 1. Reopening the 2nd.
snbauser 05:37 AM 10-24-2013
Closed from 12/23 (well actually from Saturday 12/21 ) through Thursday 1/2. I will get paid for 4 of the 9 days. I am hoping to be closed 1/3 as well but I follow our school schedule and and have all school employees and Friday is a teacher workday so I need to be open.
Lianne 05:37 AM 10-24-2013
I'll be open. I can't afford to close since parents don't pay if I'm not available for care. I do have the 24th-26th and the 31st/1st off w/ pay.
Brooksie 05:57 AM 10-24-2013
Closed from Christmas Eve to New years day! And its paid!
slorey 06:09 AM 10-24-2013
I follow our school calendar, so will have the entire 2 weeks of Christmas and New Years off! I usually charge for every other school vacation/holiday and do not usually charge for Christmas break, but do not normally have 2 weeks off, so am trying to decide if I should charge for one of the 2 weeks and then not charge for our February break. That is most likely what I will do.
Familycare71 06:30 AM 10-24-2013
I REALLY want to take those two extra days off- but not sure how parents will take to that. Need to decide soon!
Crazy8 07:42 AM 10-24-2013
I only officially close Xmas Eve & Day and NY Eve & Day - what happens in between varies from year to year. Since they fall on Tues & Wed this year chances are I will have kids Thurs, Fri & Mon. between but I will have to check with each family to see if there is a chance of getting a few extra days off. I need to use some vac. time in early Dec. so I don't like to take the time if I have clients who actually need care that week.
spinnymarie 07:43 AM 10-24-2013
This year we're onthe school schedule, so closed 12/23 - 1/3, for the full two weeks!
Play Care 07:53 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I REALLY want to take those two extra days off- but not sure how parents will take to that. Need to decide soon!
I still have one full week of vacation plus I get CE, CD, and the day after as holidays. I also get NYD as a holiday. Counting it out I could be closed the week of Christmas and until Thursday of New Years week. I would love to be closed those last two days - I'm going to put out my schedule and ask who will need me and go from there. If I only have on dck those days I will be closed. If I'll have a full house then il open and make some money.
Familycare71 07:58 AM 10-24-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I still have one full week of vacation plus I get CE, CD, and the day after as holidays. I also get NYD as a holiday. Counting it out I could be closed the week of Christmas and until Thursday of New Years week. I would love to be closed those last two days - I'm going to put out my schedule and ask who will need me and go from there. If I only have on dck those days I will be closed. If I'll have a full house then il open and make some money.
Good idea!!!
itlw8 08:05 AM 10-24-2013
I am open but I have so many p/t and teachers that I post a calendar and they mark when they will be here and off. Then If I have one that will be here alone often the parent finds a better solution... I have a feeling I get no extra days off this year. 2 single parents That are not teachers
mema 08:13 AM 10-24-2013
Normally I close early on Christmas Eve, close Christmas Day and New Year's Day. This year we didn't really take a vacation-I used a couple days for my kids school things-so I will be closing early Christmas Eve and opening Jan 2! I don't think I will end up with anyone on Christmas Eve this year tho (one has already asked to use a vacation day and the other family hasn't been here the last 2 years on that day!).
WImom 11:16 AM 10-24-2013
I'm closed the 20th-27th and then 31st and 1st. (Paid are 24th,25th,26th, 31st and 1st and then the rest unpaid).
TwinKristi 05:02 PM 10-24-2013
So it's been officially decided that I'll close from Monday the 23rd through Jan 3rd reopening on Jan 6th with school. I have a family who's last day will be the 20th and the other family I have is only T-W-Th so it's kinda pointless to open for 1 kid here and there. A huge cut in pay and the food program too

Sunchimes 06:08 PM 10-24-2013
I close on Christmas Eve and Christmas day without pay. Last year, my only mom was on standby for two weeks, so I basically got 2 weeks off with pay, although I had to be prepared in case she got called in. I have a new family this year. She is new to her job and really has no idea when she will have off. I am officially closed on New Year's day, and it won't be an issue this year, but if someone needed me on that day, I'd work. We aren't party goers, so it doesn't matter to me. I can always use the extra money.
jojosmommy 11:30 AM 10-25-2013

I always wait to decide becuase some of my families need care and some just send their kids no matter what. Around this time I know who is staying, who s not and I decide if enough people need care I'll work. But if its one or two, Im not bothering.
Tags:christmas break, closed for the holidays, holidays - off
Reply Up