Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Another Q About Deposits
Missjaime 05:36 PM 06-27-2017
So, I have a current family who has their 2yo girl here, she's been here about a year. They recently had a baby and have been wanting to get her in here as soon as I have space available. Space is coming up in August, so it works perfectly to just put her in the space that is available. Do I charge another deposit for the baby? I don't really need to "hold" the space as it is a perfect switch out (one kid leaving July 31, new baby starting August 1). We are looking at writing a new contract including the baby this week and I am not sure what to do. A new child would be charged a 2 week deposit that is then applied to the last 2 weeks of the contract, but this is not a new family. What would you do? I feel kinda weird asking for a deposit now, given that they are already here and there is no turn around. KWIM?
Jupadia 06:01 PM 06-27-2017
I keep a deposit for each child attending not for each family. That way I have the money if they give notice for the last week for both kids (I only charge 1 week deposit).

Also I have parents have to give 1 month notice vs 2 week note when they have 2 kids in care
bklsmum 07:10 PM 06-27-2017
I charge a deposit for every kid in care because I charge for every kid in care. Everyone pays a two week deposit to cover their last two weeks of care.
AmyKidsCo 08:07 PM 06-27-2017
I don't charge a "deposit" but I do charge a Final Payment to cover the last 2 weeks of care for each child. Because it covers the last 2 weeks it makes sense to do it for each child.
mommyneedsadayoff 09:31 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by Missjaime:
So, I have a current family who has their 2yo girl here, she's been here about a year. They recently had a baby and have been wanting to get her in here as soon as I have space available. Space is coming up in August, so it works perfectly to just put her in the space that is available. Do I charge another deposit for the baby? I don't really need to "hold" the space as it is a perfect switch out (one kid leaving July 31, new baby starting August 1). We are looking at writing a new contract including the baby this week and I am not sure what to do. A new child would be charged a 2 week deposit that is then applied to the last 2 weeks of the contract, but this is not a new family. What would you do? I feel kinda weird asking for a deposit now, given that they are already here and there is no turn around. KWIM?
I would just tell them that to complete the agreement, a payment for the last two weeks care of XX amount must be paid prior to her start in Aug. (if you have the two weeks from their first child, then just give a total for two weeks of care for the baby). Let them know that just as the one they have already paid goes to their daughter's last two weeks, this payment will go towards the last two weeks of the baby's care. The payment is meant to protect you if they decide to up an leave without notice, so it does not make any difference if they are new clients or old clients...the baby is new and therefore needs to have the prepayment for the spot they are taking.
Leigh 09:55 PM 06-27-2017
Originally Posted by Missjaime:
I don't do deposits-I collect first week and last 2 weeks' payment upfront. I would ABSOLUTELY collect it for a sibling! I'd collect for a family with multiple kids before anyone else. Losing multiple kids at once HURTS more than losing one kid. Having a family of 2 or 3 get angry and quit without notice or move away is hard on your pocketbook! I wouldn't charge to hold a space until it was open, personally, but I would ALWAYS collect that last 2 weeks' pay.
Ariana 05:17 AM 06-28-2017
When this situation happened to me in April I did not take a deposit for the second child. At that point I didn't feel I needed it. I had the oldest kids deposit so they would still be paying me something if they skipped out...which at this point I knew they would not do. You need to use your discretion. Due to the fact that I did not get a deposit for the baby and are done at the end of this week, I applied the deposit but they still owe me money based on babies days here. I trust that they have every intention of paying me because mom has already asked how much is owed for the last day and have never had an issue with payments plus they love me

When I take siblings together they pay a deposit for each kid.
Tags:deposits
Reply Up