Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Baby That I Can't Put Down
AuntTami 03:09 PM 11-12-2014
She cries...

Thank gosh she's only part time, but she's also only 8 weeks old, so there is no sense of routine with her.

I can almost guarantee she gets held 24/7 at home because I'll feed her, or snuggle with her and she'll fall asleep very quickly. As soon as I put her down, she's crying. It doesn't matter where I put her. Playpen, bassinette, bouncer, swing, floor, crib...She cries.

The ONLY place I've found that I can get some relief is the car seat, and I refuse to let her sleep in there. Although I admit, I will put her in there so I can go to the bathroom without listening to her cry.

If I swaddle her and then put her down somewhere, she won't cry instantly, but after a few minutes she'll cry, even if she's sound asleep. She'll wake up within minutes and cry.

I can't hold her all of the time...

Side note: Is it normal for her to be able to lift her head and control it at only 8 weeks old? Isn't that something that typically happens around 3-5 months!? I'll have her on my chest, with her head on my shoulder and she'll lift her head up and be looking all around. I'm not complaining but isn't she a little young to be able to do that?
Heidi 03:27 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
She cries...

Thank gosh she's only part time, but she's also only 8 weeks old, so there is no sense of routine with her.

I can almost guarantee she gets held 24/7 at home because I'll feed her, or snuggle with her and she'll fall asleep very quickly. As soon as I put her down, she's crying. It doesn't matter where I put her. Playpen, bassinette, bouncer, swing, floor, crib...She cries.

The ONLY place I've found that I can get some relief is the car seat, and I refuse to let her sleep in there. Although I admit, I will put her in there so I can go to the bathroom without listening to her cry.

If I swaddle her and then put her down somewhere, she won't cry instantly, but after a few minutes she'll cry, even if she's sound asleep. She'll wake up within minutes and cry.

I can't hold her all of the time...

Side note: Is it normal for her to be able to lift her head and control it at only 8 weeks old? Isn't that something that typically happens around 3-5 months!? I'll have her on my chest, with her head on my shoulder and she'll lift her head up and be looking all around. I'm not complaining but isn't she a little young to be able to do that?

My 3rd baby did that at the hospital already! Looked straight at me (well, through me).

Honestly, you're going to get the same answer about a hundred times. Don't take PT babies, because you'll never train them (or the parents, either).

The little guy I have (7 weeks) will sometimes fuss a bit after swaddling. I usually just go rub the top of his head gently and "bink" him. That generally calms him and he goes to sleep. Sometimes it takes a second round of this 5 minutes later, and then he's usually out for a few hours.
ColorfulSunburst 03:33 PM 11-12-2014
it is normal for 8 weeks old.
Many 5 m.o. children try to stand up near something.
Shell 04:02 PM 11-12-2014
Yeah, I know plenty of kids that have had head control very early on. I do take pt infants, and it is rough. But, eventually my pt families have come around to no rocking, putting in swings, let baby cry a little, put baby down for tummy time. Usually doesn't happen until around 8 months old, so best of luck! I also had an almost two year old (part time) that only napped in a car seat because Gma always napped her in the car. Boy, that was tough to break, but there was no way I was clunking around a giant car seat (not a baby carrier, btw), and it's against regulations anyway. Parents just love to make our jobs that much harder
Angelsj 05:16 PM 11-12-2014
Are you opposed to baby wearing? If not, get a good Maya wrap and wear her. I suppose you have to check your regs too, but for the life of me, I can't imagine a safer place for an infant than ON me.
Controlled Chaos 10:20 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
Are you opposed to baby wearing? If not, get a good Maya wrap and wear her. I suppose you have to check your regs too, but for the life of me, I can't imagine a safer place for an infant than ON me.
I always wear them when they are that new
AuntTami 10:35 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
My gosh, I don't know why I didn't think of that! Silly me! I'll have to get a wrap soon. Do they make them for plus size women? lol

Heidi-- She is on a temporary basis right now. At the moment, I've had 2/3 spots empty since August, I can't afford to not be generating any income, so mom was told that I would do it, but I would continue to advertise, and when I found FTers to fill that spot, she would have to find new daycare. She agreed, but also said there is a possibility that she will go back to full time work in the next few months, so it could lead to full time anyways. But, like I said, at this point, $80 per week is better than $0 per week, kwim?

As far as her looking around...Gosh! Where have I been!? I've never noticed a really young baby being able to control their heads like that, but I don't have any children of my own, so maybe I just missed that part with my nephews when they were so small!
spud912 06:58 AM 11-13-2014
You explained my dd to a "t." I was interested in hearing the responses because I've never been able to get her to nap anywhere but "on" me in a wrap. She also has been holding her head up well for about 2 weeks now (she is almost 10 weeks old). She also can lock her knees and "stand" when I hold her up. It's amazing! I just wish she would nap in a crib.
Angelsj 07:24 AM 11-13-2014
My gosh, I don't know why I didn't think of that! Silly me! I'll have to get a wrap soon. Do they make them for plus size women? lol

Heidi-- She is on a temporary basis right now. At the moment, I've had 2/3 spots empty since August, I can't afford to not be generating any income, so mom was told that I would do it, but I would continue to advertise, and when I found FTers to fill that spot, she would have to find new daycare. She agreed, but also said there is a possibility that she will go back to full time work in the next few months, so it could lead to full time anyways. But, like I said, at this point, $80 per week is better than $0 per week, kwim?

As far as her looking around...Gosh! Where have I been!? I've never noticed a really young baby being able to control their heads like that, but I don't have any children of my own, so maybe I just missed that part with my nephews when they were so small!
Mayas are the ones I used for my kids, but I actually prefer these now. And yes, they come in extra large if need be. They are super soft, incredibly easy to wear, not overly warm/hot and can be used as long as you want/need to use them. They also do an excellent job of spreading the weight of the child over your entire shoulders/back so no backaches!
TwinMama 08:00 AM 11-13-2014
Would a sound machine work if you put that by baby? Heart beat..womb sounds.....even classical music. Maybe if the baby is swaddled and hears that.

We had somebody get us this as a gift.....

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Shusher-S.../dp/B00D2JN87I

It actually worked well with our DD. I think there's an app with these sounds on them though.
Reply Up