Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Handbook or Contract?
have all info in a multi-page contract 5 17.24%
have a single page contract and a bigger handbook w/detailed info 20 68.97%
have something entirely different 4 13.79%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contract vs. Handbook
Crazy8 11:18 AM 08-25-2011
I know this is often mentioned in different threads but just curious if we can get an idea of what the majority do. I don't know how to post a poll (maybe only moderators can?)

Do you:
tbutler 11:20 AM 08-25-2011
I have a single page contract and a bigger handbook w/detailed info
TBird 11:25 AM 08-25-2011
Mine is all in one....Contract/Handbook. All the meat & potatoes first, then the legal jargon & signing at the end.
squareone 11:27 AM 08-25-2011
Mine used to be separate but due to changes in the licensing requirements I made the handbook and contract all one document. In total it's about 25 pages long.
Crazy8 11:42 AM 08-25-2011
I forgot to answer my own question.

Mine is all in one contract - 6 pages.
Crazy8 07:34 PM 08-28-2011
anyone else want to chime in??
Abigail 08:23 PM 08-28-2011
I have a 5 page contract. Half the first page though is just my information and the parents information like names, address, employment, phone numbers, emails, etc. I have the 5 points of a contract numbered and written.

I have a 5 page handbook as well. The first 2 pages is the standard topics like philosophy, mission statement, licensing, mandated reporting, substitutes, privacy, discriminating, communicating, etc. The rest is all the fun things that are all about MY daycare like my pets, arrivals and departures, meals and snacks, curriculum, birthdays/holidays we celebrate, clothing, naps, personal belongings, behavior guidance, diapering/toilet training, illness policy, etc. I have a lot more topics than what I listed, but to give you an idea.

Both my contract and handbook are printed on front/back to save on paper/ink and makes it seem like less to look through. I also have in the footer the copyright and the revised date.....this way a client can be asked if they are looking at the new copy or original document they received. I also have my pages numbered starting on page 2 for directional purposes.

Why did I create separate documents? 1. Tom recommends it in his books and if I ever need help I'll go to him. 2. It's so much easier to look at anything dollar or time related in only the contract so their is less chance of messing up fees or missing something down the road.
Blackcat31 08:08 AM 08-29-2011
I have a handbook with details AND have a single page contract with each family's specific rate/payment information.
Crazy8 07:41 PM 02-19-2012
would love some more answers on this - I'm thinking of switching to a single page contract.
Sunchimes 07:51 PM 02-19-2012
I just made my first ones. Tom said to put the things that couldn't be defended in court, like naps, in the handbook. Things that could go to court, like late fees and other charges go in a contract.

I have a handbook that is 10 or 11 pages and I have a 4 page contract. The first page is family info and contact information, emergency contacts, approved pick ups, etc. The 4th page just has a couple of sentences and the signatures.
Meeko 08:15 AM 02-20-2012
Five page contract.

Seventeen page handbook.

This is subject to change!
cheeseheadmama 08:18 AM 02-20-2012
I have a 2 page contract and an 8 page handbook. Just couldn't fit everything on a single page contract.
Cat Herder 08:20 AM 02-20-2012
2 page contract (double spaced, huge type, signature section for each paragraph)

7 page Handbook (4 pages are required State Stuff )

4 page FAQ section
MarinaVanessa 08:25 AM 02-20-2012
I voted for the 3rd option but only because even though I have a handbook (very long, very detailed) I also have a 3 page contract (not a single page). All of the money and time related items I add in the contract. I add these into my handbook and explain them in more detail along with all of my other policies like illness, discipline, supplies etc. etc.
Countrygal 10:30 AM 02-20-2012
Mine is separate, but only because the state requires their signed contract form. So I have my own signed handbook as well. Nothing like double paperwork!
frugalmama4 10:38 AM 02-20-2012
My parent handbook is 31 pages (last pg is the policy contract), I have a two page financial agreement.

Since we're on the topic-

Does anyone have a separate contract/financial agreement for drop in care?

Thanks!
DaycareMama 10:56 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by TBird:
Mine is all in one....Contract/Handbook. All the meat & potatoes first, then the legal jargon & signing at the end.
This is what I do
MarinaVanessa 11:07 AM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by frugalmama4:
My parent handbook is 31 pages (last pg is the policy contract), I have a two page financial agreement.

Since we're on the topic-

Does anyone have a separate contract/financial agreement for drop in care?

Thanks!
Yep, I do. I have one contract for FT and PT clients with a checkbox to mark whether they want Full-time or Part-time care (since payment and other guidelines are pretty much the same except the actual amount) and then another for drop-in clients. It's a little shorter since I can pull out the stuff about holidays (they obviously don't pay for holidays) and late payments (no pay no stay and they don't have to pay until the day of drop-off) and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't apply to them. I still give them the handbook though, those rules apply to everyone.

My contract is 18 pages front and back (36 pages on Word) and my FT & PT contract is 4 pages front and back (8 pages in word), my drop-in contract is 3 pages front and back (6 pages in word). I even have translated contracts in Spanish just in case lol
frugalmama4 12:40 PM 02-20-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yep, I do. I have one contract for FT and PT clients with a checkbox to mark whether they want Full-time or Part-time care (since payment and other guidelines are pretty much the same except the actual amount) and then another for drop-in clients. It's a little shorter since I can pull out the stuff about holidays (they obviously don't pay for holidays) and late payments (no pay no stay and they don't have to pay until the day of drop-off) and a bunch of other stuff that doesn't apply to them. I still give them the handbook though, those rules apply to everyone.

My contract is 18 pages front and back (36 pages on Word) and my FT & PT contract is 4 pages front and back (8 pages in word), my drop-in contract is 3 pages front and back (6 pages in word). I even have translated contracts in Spanish just in case lol
Love it! I need to start working on a drop in contract a/s/a/p...had someone call last week and I'm totally not prepared also need to come up with prices...this lady will only need care here and there so need to break down some hourly rates. Thanks for the advice..have a great afternoon!
annafaye1985 06:18 PM 02-21-2012
Is it possible for people to attach their contracts and handbooks to get examples?
Tags:contract, contract vs handbook, handbook
Reply Up